Fiji Cube Hang on Refugium

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

I have a 40 gallon breeder with a Fiji Cube AIO kit. I will be using media in the first, a skimmer in the second chamber and then the return pump in the 3rd. I saw that Fiji Cube also offers a hang on back refugium that will work with my AIO. Does anyone have experience with the Fiji cube refugium? It looks like I may have to get rid of my skimmer. I appreciate anyone's input!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at those today.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Figi Cube HOB medium refugium. Works great. Holds a gallon and a half of water. I got it to fit(had to do a little grinding with dremel) on my IM Nuvo 20 Peninsula(will fit a Nuvo 10,14 too) Well until today when I stuck my hand in the water and got shocked. After unplugging everything one by one it ends up being the pump in the refugium. I've had it for 5 months. There is no replacement pump listed on Figi Cube's website. I've sent them an email, but it's the weekend. Going to buy a powerhead and see if I can get it to fit tomorrow.
DSC02560.JPG
DSC02561.JPG

Last edited:

PsycoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light are using on the FijiCube Refugium? Was looking to get the large size model for my setup.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got the FijiCube medium HOB refugium and it does not work on an Aqueon 29 gal standard tank. I think I could get it to fit if I filed away the plastic rim of my tank and if I figured out a way to get the intake tube to stay in place (it just falls out of the socket, I would have to glue it) and the adhesive for the bottom brace thing that is specifically supposed to be used on rimmed tanks gave way in the first hour while I was trying to set it up. Luckily, I got it from Bulk Reef Supply and they are taking it back for a full refund (I sent them pictures showing how I would have to modify my tank to get it to fit and a video showing how the tube will not stay in place). Given that the poster above me had a similar experience with the fit issues I would say...proceed with caution and probably get it from BRS since going through FijiCube directly (in my experience) will be much more of a hassle if there is an issue.

(To be super clear I don’t have any issues with the way Bulk Reef Supply handled the issue. They said it was a new product for them and they would be in touch with FijiCube about having better quality control.)

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put teflon tape around my inlet tube, working just fine. The tape let's my remove when I need to. The pump started electrocuting me when I touched the water, so had to get a new one. Fijicube doesn't stock it and has to order it so I stated looking and found a Marineland powerhead(600) that fit perfect.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm not saying that all the issues I found (and you, it sounds like) can't be fixed. They definitely can. I just wasn't feeling like filing down the rim of my tank and DIYing the two other fixes in order to get the fuge to work. If I spend over $100 on something supposedly specifically designed to work on the aquarium I have, I expect it to work out of the box. Of course everyone has different calculus for what works for them, and, I agree that it is definitely possible to make the modifications to the tank and to the fuge for it to work.

coolrazor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife picked up one of these and it seemed to work fine when she set it up. After turning off the pump to do a water change the pump never pulled water through into the refugium again when powered on again. How are others’ setup? I thought it was super strange the pump was in the refugium trying to pull water up into the refugium out of our sump. Wouldn’t it be normal to have the pump outside the refugium and push water in?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water were you changing? If the tube drawing water in is under water it will draw water in, no need to turn it off. If you got air into the intake tube it can take the pump quite sometime to suck all the air out(it's made to move water not air). Which means you have to get as much air out as possible. Turn the pump off, remove the inlet tube/pipe. Put the tube/pipe back into 90% elbow, start pump. The pump will make a million micro bubbles for about 2-3 minutes then start working like normal.
Other than the pump electrocuting me and my tank(had to buy replacement after 5 months) the FijiCube refugium is working great and I'm glad I own it. I replaced the pump with a Marineland 600 powerhead that works perfect. I use the original pump to mix salt and water, I just have to unplug it before touching the saltwatwer.

shodenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water were you changing? If the tube drawing water in is under water it will draw water in, no need to turn it off. If you got air into the intake tube it can take the pump quite sometime to suck all the air out(it's made to move water not air). Which means you have to get as much air out as possible. Turn the pump off, remove the inlet tube/pipe. Put the tube/pipe back into 90% elbow, start pump. The pump will make a million micro bubbles for about 2-3 minutes then start working like normal.
Other than the pump electrocuting me and my tank(had to buy replacement after 5 months) the FijiCube refugium is working great and I'm glad I own it. I replaced the pump with a Marineland 600 powerhead that works perfect. I use the original pump to mix salt and water, I just have to unplug it before touching the saltwatwer.
My pump has been on for about 30-40 minutes and it’s still producing micro bubbles. Is there something that could be wrong with how it’s set up?

CoastieFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump has been on for about 30-40 minutes and it’s still producing micro bubbles. Is there something that could be wrong with how it’s set up?
I'm running into the same issue, I even let it run over night still making a ton of bubbles. I'm thinking it could be a problem with the terrible undersized rubber gaskets letting a little air in. I'm going to try and play with the fittings but have you had any luck with yours yet?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running into the same issue, I even let it run over night still making a ton of bubbles. I'm thinking it could be a problem with the terrible undersized rubber gaskets letting a little air in. I'm going to try and play with the fittings but have you had any luck with yours yet?
Been there did that. It's the tube that sucks the water into the refugium. The one on the outside of the elbow that goes into the aquarium. I wrapped the top of mine in teflon tape and it stopprd the problem. Mines been up and running for over a year and a half now.

Back