filter pad tray setups - anyone got pics?

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, we have a 740-ish gallon system, with about 3,000 gph going thru our sump - my brother says he's sick of washing filter socks - has anyone made a tray for disposable filter pad material?

i figure just acrylic legs and sides, supporting the common light diffuser grid, yea?

anyone have surface volume-to-gph examples, that'd be awesome. not sure how big to make ours yet :p

these rolls seem like they'd work: https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Fil...id=1548994391&sr=8-4&keywords=filter+pad+roll

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the wwc 900 gallon looks like they use around 2' x 1' of pad...

Screenshot_2019-01-31-22-13-22.png

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, we have a 740-ish gallon system, with about 3,000 gph going thru our sump - my brother says he's sick of washing filter socks - has anyone made a tray for disposable filter pad material?

i figure just acrylic legs and sides, supporting the common light diffuser grid, yea?

anyone have surface volume-to-gph examples, that'd be awesome. not sure how big to make ours yet :p

these rolls seem like they'd work: https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Fil...id=1548994391&sr=8-4&keywords=filter+pad+roll
It would get clogged way to fast and flood your entire house. Bad idea

A roller would work

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha @Hemmdog, the tray would need to sit inside and overflow into a sump

any idea what kinda of roller would handle that volume? besides that crazy converted koi filter lol! everything we've seen online handles 'normal' tanks ;Cat

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha @Hemmdog, the tray would need to sit inside and overflow into a sump

any idea what kinda of roller would handle that volume? besides that crazy converted koi filter lol! everything we've seen online handles 'normal' tanks ;Cat
I’m not totally sure. I’ve just seen sumps like my link and it seems like it would be better than filter socks.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/roller-mat-sump-30-trigger.html

You can buy that roller thing separate though

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theiling is rated for max 600 gph, remember this thread is in the monster tanks section :p:p:p

michelle

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got something like this... just built it. I used about a 6x6" area and change out the material every few days. Easier than socks cuz I just throw it away and it does a better job.
sump box_gen3.jpg

May be hard to tell since it's clear... the input is just beyond the egg crate. The overflows go into that, bubble up to the top (bubble trap, effectively), and then over the filter pad, held up by egg crate. Then under, up and over the side you see closest. It works really well... but is right on the border for the flow I'm running. Had to build it based on the space I had. This is Gen 3 of my "sump box" idea which has proven extremely effective for an add-on to sumps that do not run baffles. Gen 4 will be much bigger but the same concept will be used. I will have to do a DIY at some point to share.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got something like this... just built it. I used about a 6x6" area and change out the material every few days. Easier than socks cuz I just throw it away and it does a better job.

oooooooo... toss every few days, nice and pretty ;Headphone. about how many gph goes thru that 6" x 6", on what size system?

@ca1ore, that looks lux! expert glass cutter, angles!

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD185C3B-987B-45C4-84CD-296A653C0861.jpeg
I built a custom filter roll in the sump for my large system. I started using it about 1 month ago and so far I like it. I turn it manually once a day to move the cloth about 12”. I plan to automate it soon with a float switch.
Not sure on the flow going through it but I assume it’s 1200 gph.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooooooo... toss every few days, nice and pretty ;Headphone. about how many gph goes thru that 6" x 6", on what size system?

Yup, I probably toss the old about every 3 days... sometimes more often depending on whether I scrub anything. :0) Not sure about flow, guessing about 3k/hr and the system is a 300 (with probably 300 gal total system). Like I said, it's a bit on the small side, but it's working pretty well.

@ca1ore, that looks lux! expert glass cutter, angles!

DD185C3B-987B-45C4-84CD-296A653C0861.jpeg
I built a custom filter roll in the sump for my large system. I started using it about 1 month ago and so far I like it. I turn it manually once a day to move the cloth about 12”. I plan to automate it soon with a float switch.
Not sure on the flow going through it but I assume it’s 1200 gph.

This is awesome! Do you have a DIY thread for it? I'm sure a lot of people would be eager to see!

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to start a build thread on my tank but I just haven’t had the time recently. The sump is a custom design built by advanced acrylics out of LA. I sent him the sketch up model and he built in all the holes where I needed them. I’ll see if I have any other pics.

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@McPuff you might wanna remove this part, for emergency cloggy overflow

Screenshot_2019-02-14-23-55-31.jpg

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigrock what part of Cali are you in? we're in LA. looks great. maybe we'll follow in your footsteps if we don't find a cheaper solution.

@everyone-else :D, is there a noise problem with the trickle? assume a 1" drop... if we ran our entire 3500 gph over one, i'm afraid it might sound like niagra falls ;Spiderman;Drool;Spiderman hmmm... maybe if we bypassed half, but would the remaining be loud too? ;Clown

michelle

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Fresno. The noise is minimal in my sump but I have a piece of flat pvc that kind of makes a ramp for water to flow onto the filter material so it doesn’t fall at all.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@McPuff you might wanna remove this part, for emergency cloggy overflow

Screenshot_2019-02-14-23-55-31.jpg

That's how I know it's time to change the pad.

The noise isn't bad at all...don't hear it outside of the utility room. The trick is making the box so that there isn't much of a drop to your sump from the box itself.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back