Filter Roller vs Filter Sock: Which One Rules Your Reef Aquarium?

Filter Roller versus Filter Sock: Which One Rules Your Reef Aquarium?

• Filter Rollers Rule

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • Filter Socks Rock

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Neither for me

Votes: 35 23.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When it comes to mechanical filtration, there are two popular options: filter rollers and filter socks. We want to know which one you swear by for maintaining optimal water quality in your reef aquarium. Are you a fan of the convenience and efficiency of a filter roller, with its automated roll and discard mechanism? Or do you prefer the classic reliability and versatility of a filter sock, allowing you to customize filtration media?

Share your preference, along with the reasons behind your choice!

versus 1.jpg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am just not running anything but a skimmer 12 hours a day. I am too lazy with socks to change them out. For me the rollers are too expensive and having to buy new rolls when it runs out just seems like an added expense. When I do use socks, I just wash them.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently run none, however I would like a roller Mat that would fit my sump (reefer 250) and isn’t too expensive.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so easy to vacuum (what little there is)out the sump occasionally. Everything is perfectly stable without socks or mats. A good skimmer, monthly vacuuming, consistent water changes equals a beautiful reef for all (me) to enjoy! :relieved-face:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basket with floss.
I tried that, I was so excited, the inlet was on a small cube sump was in the back, where the filter sock was a PITB to get to, so I bought the cup from Marine Depot, filled it filter floss, some carbon etc, put it in it seemed to fit so well, the cup got heavy after being in there for a week and it fell through to the bottom what a mess, no more filter cup, near impossible to get it back out.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running socks or a sock/basket with floss combo on all of my tanks right now. I'd consider a reefmat for the 350, but if it ain't broke . . .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When it comes to mechanical filtration, there are two popular options: filter rollers and filter socks. We want to know which one you swear by for maintaining optimal water quality in your reef aquarium. Are you a fan of the convenience and efficiency of a filter roller, with its automated roll and discard mechanism? Or do you prefer the classic reliability and versatility of a filter sock, allowing you to customize filtration media?

Share your preference, along with the reasons behind your choice!

versus 1.jpg
I have a flat tray for the first section of my sump and have always used filter floss .
I buy it as a huge roll and cut it to size

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floss for me, thinking about a roller but already have an oversized skimmer for the upgrade so no sure it would be ideal we shall see.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you running a roller, how many rolls did you go through before the rolls started lasting a few months? I just changed my first roll today on my fiji arf20 roller and it has been roughly 5 weeks.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter roller has been great for me. I get a message on my phone a week before it needs to be changed then I forget about it for another month.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather go contrarian and just capture and process the detritus. Old school refugium (we didn't call them refugiums) or scrubber solves the decomposition as does carbon dosing. I also believe there's value to that detritus that might solve issues like dinos or cyano or who knows what because going 50s style clinical not my goal. This way there's less contraptions to find space or maintain. Rather spend bulk of my time enjoying my living art than being a slave to it's up keep plus how many times do we complain about our nutrients bottoming out and having to add that back? Seems silly to sanitize something as best possible to then later need a way to get it dirty again vs letting nature do what it's done since cyano first appeared. KISS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back