Filter Roller vs Filter Sock: Which One Rules Your Reef Aquarium?

Filter Roller versus Filter Sock: Which One Rules Your Reef Aquarium?

• Filter Rollers Rule

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • Filter Socks Rock

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Neither for me

Votes: 35 23.8%

• Total voters

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My feelings about filter socks…
IMG_0365.gif

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter roller and never going back!
its sooo easy to maintain and it’s never something I have to worry about.
For my pico, i just put filter floss, since there’s not a lot of bio load.
Hope to find a nice roller mat for my AIO nano

Alfie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an automatic DD on when they first came out. I love the idea of them in principle but the problems with the coating on the roller forced me to remove it after less than 2 months. I never knew how long they would last, Anything from 3 weeks to 1 day was too much to chance when I work away. The missus is much more inclined to replace a few sock if needed than battle swapping rolls.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Roller Mats are no doubt efficient in removal od micron waste however they come at a price, a price for replacement rolls and dont always fit various sumps.
I bought the klir 4 when it first came out and had a trigger sump and had to sell it asthe unitcould not reach deep enough to touch water.
With my Bashsea sump now, its even worse.

I found a new style of filter socks which last as much as two weeks between washings and are 4 for $20 easy to wash opposed to felt and mesh that has to be cleaned every 3 days

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both on my 125 gallon. The roller is more expensive, but is my preference
Much easier than keeping up with a bag full of socks. With socks, I also found it too easy to say "I'll wait one more day"

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller Mats are no doubt efficient in removal od micron waste however they come at a price, a price for replacement rolls and dont always fit various sumps.
I bought the klir 4 when it first came out and had a trigger sump and had to sell it asthe unitcould not reach deep enough to touch water.
With my Bashsea sump now, its even worse.

I found a new style of filter socks which last as much as two weeks between washings and are 4 for $20 easy to wash opposed to felt and mesh that has to be cleaned every 3 days
See if I didn’t have the trigger platinum roller I would be hesitant to roll with and add on to another sump. The built in roller is incredible

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted socks but am running reef diapers in my sock holders. My nutrients are pretty low so I run them untill they are overflowing. I get a week or so between changes so about $2 a week and no socks to wash. My fuge is in the chamber right after my return chamber so I have to have filtration or my fuge become filled with detritus.
I have no desire to have a filter roller. I'm not so pressed for time that I can't change a couple of filter socks when needed. I also know they fail, everything does eventually so introducing one is just adding another point of failure and to me they just are not worth the price.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
TOOLSSIDE
TOOLSSIDE 4 Pack Felt Filter Socks 4 Inch - Filter Sock for Freshwater/Saltwater Aquarium - 150-Micron Filter Socks by 11.8-Inch Long, Use in Sumps/OverflowsTOOLSSIDE 4 Pack Felt Filter Socks 4 Inch - Filter Sock for Freshwater/Saltwater Aquarium - 150-Micron Filter Socks by 11.8-Inch Long, Use in Sumps/Overflows

https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...sccl_1/138-0815660-2512140?pd_rd_i=B09GYC4QFQ
$19.94

1684589557936.png

• New design of 4 '' aquarium filter sock, new open shape for more comfortable use, anti-overflow design, even if you forget to replace it, will not empty all the debris from the filter bag back into the aquarium. The three-dimensional weaving of this 3d honeycomb design filter sock imitates the nesting of bees.
  • Premium aquarium felt filter bags are designed to drain water. Unlike past aquarium felt filter bags, these aquariums filter sock hives are permeable, non-clogging and flexible enough to be inverted for easy cleaning.
  • This aquarium felt filter bags provide excellent mechanical filtration by trapping debris, helping to reduce the amount of ammonia-producing organic matter in aquariums. This long felt filter socks also help prevent large and small objects such as sand and coral from damaging your aquarium equipment.
  • The sturdy construction and reinforced stitching make these honeycomb filter socks strong and durable, so they can be cleaned and reused many times. You want the best, you have found them. You will receive 4 packs of 4 "x 10" aquarium felt fabric sump filter bag.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both LOL. I have two big roller mats (seavisions) - but putting all the flow through them they roll too fast. Changing the rolls is pricey and not my favorite job. I was going through two rolls total per month. Currently, I am also running four filter socks - which allows me to divert some of the flow away from the rollermats... and the rolls last for months. Some day, I will build a new sump that allows for a third rollermatt.

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rollers go against the KISS method meaning adding another piece of equipment that can break or malfunction and on top of that add a monthly or bimonthly cost of new rollers this hobby is already expensive as it is hahaha
filter socks FTW!!!

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller FTW . Way easier than socks. Rolls last like 3 months. Costs me about £68 per year . Cheap as

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter Roller - NEVER going back to socks. Yes it defiantly hurts paying $15 for a roll of toilet paper every 30 days. Can’t put a price on the ease of maintenance! 3 minute change out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back