Filter Roller vs Filter Sock: Which One Rules Your Reef Aquarium?

Filter Roller versus Filter Sock: Which One Rules Your Reef Aquarium?

• Filter Rollers Rule

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • Filter Socks Rock

Votes: 44 29.9%
  • Neither for me

Votes: 35 23.8%

• Total voters

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you running a roller, how many rolls did you go through before the rolls started lasting a few months? I just changed my first roll today on my fiji arf20 roller and it has been roughly 5 weeks.
I have the platinum trigger sump. First roll went in a month as I was dialing it in after that I change it every 5 maybe 6 months. But know I do do discharge the dirty part about every quarter of it bc sometimes it will leave a stench.

hubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller mat, hands down. First roll lasted 5 months, can't imagine how many socks I'd have gone through in that time much less the cleaning and time associated with dealing with them. Socks...never again.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks are so easy. I change them every 3-4 days but i also run high nutrients. I get a fleece roller if you have a huge tank and a lot of fish.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter cups with floss might be a happy medium although I'd still rather let it decompose and let filtration solve it but for those that must mechanically throw it away that floss much less hassle than washing socks although they do contribute to world waste which some might want to reduce. I do.

xmrbob941

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter Roller versus Filter Sock: Which One Rules Your Reef Aquarium?

When it comes to mechanical filtration, there are two popular options: filter rollers and filter socks. We want to know which one you swear by for maintaining optimal water quality in your reef aquarium. Are you a fan of the convenience and efficiency of a filter roller, with its automated roll and discard mechanism? Or do you prefer the classic reliability and versatility of a filter sock, allowing you to customize filtration media?

Share your preference, along with the reasons behind your choice!

versus 1.jpg
The reef mat 500 changed the game of my tank for the better forsure. Won’t ever deal with socks again.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Socks suck but no other choice until if or when I replace my sump. Just no space for a filter roller in my Precision Marine R36+ sump. The double sock holder sits on the back side and shares a chamber with a fairly large skimmer then refugium and then pump chamber.

armreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter roller is game changer. Makes life easier. Keeps all crap out of tank. Bought mine on Aquashella last year with 2 rolls, ordered new ones yesterday.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intank media baskets/floss holders + floss! Given, I've only used AIO tanks. Changing/cleaning socks seems like a chore--I hate running my own clothes through the washer!--and filter rollers seem like a lot of money, especially if you run a lot of filter feeder food, which will clog it up faster.

trainbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter roller for me. A roll last about 3months and I wipe the optical sensor every week to keep it from getting too wet and advancing the roll before it needs to. For me there was a learning curve on how best to use it

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter wool that blocks a passage in the sump after the Chaeto. Once it gets full with guk it overflows for a few days until I replace it. Thats how critters from the refuge get a chance to repopulate the DT. That is pods and aiptasia babies that end up in the mandrin and the CBB respectivly.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter socks but I only use them for a day, after the water change.

lilzbra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used filter cups with floss for decades and am stuck in my ways.

However, one thing I have always wondered about those auto roller mats that no one seems to mention is how is they smell? If I take my filter floss, toss it in the trash and leave it for a day without taking it out the entire room stinks like a nasty old fishing pier! I can't imagine what a month old auto roller waste roll sitting out in open air under your tank stand smells like after a few days... let alone a month or two! Is this something that the folks that drop the big bucks on the rollers just ignore? Or do the roller mats have some sort of deodorizer built into the mats like fabreeze or something (joke)?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bang for the buck is filter socks, imo. Well, so long as the Reefer cleans them. I switched to mesh, instead of felt. They are much easier to rinse out, and still remove a good amount of debris. The filter rollers seem to take up a lot of space, and the expense vs outcome is too high when compared to other means of mechanical filtration. But those with a big budget and the room, a roller can be another toy to show off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back