Filter sock or no sock at all?

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am over changing my filter sock on my FOWLR. Anyone running no filter sock, no skimmer? I just have cheato.

Thoughts of removing the sock?

Last edited:

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no socks with a big refugium with no water changes. I do have a skimmer though running before my fuge. Base of fuge is full of rubble so I am fine with detritus as it is chock full of pods etc.

I was really worried initially as my socks were always filthy. It’s probably the most positive change I have ever made. Algae issues got better, fuge works better, nutrient control better, water is clean.

I won’t pretend to understand why, nor should you take my anecdote as evidence but my experience was very positive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no socks with a big refugium with no water changes. I do have a skimmer though running before my fuge. Base of fuge is full of rubble so I am fine with detritus as it is chock full of pods etc.

I was really worried initially as my socks were always filthy. It’s probably the most positive change I have ever made. Algae issues got better, fuge works better, nutrient control better, water is clean.

I won’t pretend to understand why, nor should you take my anecdote as evidence but my experience was very positive.
I don’t run a sock in my 150 gallon FOWLR; I do run a skimmer and a Pentair 40W UV. Thirdly I have media trays with sponges (squeeze out) and filter floss (throw out). Socks are a Pain with a capital “P.”
Thanks for the comments!

How much of your success is due to the skimmer? I am not looking to get one. Planning on just running a Refug and that’s it.

Upvote 0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plz explain what this statement means
It means he's tired of doing it, he doesn't want to do it anymore.
Zoa, it's like how you are so over noobs doing dumb stuff and not knowing what they are doing in the first place.
He would rather sit on the beach with a beer.

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa, it's like how you are so over noobs doing dumb stuff and not knowing what they are doing in the first place.
Well...I'm tired of doing about 17 things for my reef BUT I suck it up and keep on keeping on....bc I know the routines will pay off

Upvote 0

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe its millenial speak....i am so over this...meaning i no longer want to do this...my days of doing this are over... i'm tired of water changes,replacing filter media,emptying my skimmer cup, making ro/di water,testing paramaters....isnt there some way i can have an awesome reef with absolutely no effort at all?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEF76754-9FF6-43B4-92A8-D00D1EF6ACF3.jpeg

@Brady4000 , I always recommend a skimmer as a prime tool against ‘Yuck.’ If you see what is being pulled out here— that stuff that looks like Starbucks coffee— fish were swimming in that. :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...I'm tired of doing about 17 things for my reef BUT I suck it up and keep on keeping on....bc I know the routines will pay off
True, but dose the pros outweigh the cons?

I guess by saying I am “over” something I should have know the lazy police would come after me. Lol
1631625302759.gif
I made the post to see just that. Dose the pros outweigh the cons. Especially when I get a fire and have to walk the wife through how to change a sock that may not be needed.

Upvote 0

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friendly nudge to everyone - please stay helpful and be nice.

There are also other options in addition to socks or no socks. Filter rollers, media cups with filter floss, mesh bags, and skimz nylon socks that can be rinsed and reused are all options direct replacements for traditional filter socks. Additionally, the role of filter socks is mechanical filtration so there are a number of other approaches to mechanical filtration such as skimmers, water changes, and so forth.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow this got hostile fast. Lol. and I didn’t think this post would get interesting.

Upvote 0

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow this got hostile fast. Lol. and I didn’t think this post would get interesting.
I wouldn't say hostile.

Reefing is a lot of maintenance and work. Exactly like owning a BOAT.

Your expectations on yourself in entering this hobby is you'll be forced to do chores you groan about... but you do them.

Yes, changing filter socks 2x a week has the benefits of having a 2nd layer of filtration. Cleaner and CLEARER tank

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back