Filter socks and skimmer

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering can't I just put a cotton sheet on egg crate on top of a mesh filter sock. Bcuz this seems cheaper and seems it might work. Also any suggestions on a cheap and more important QUIET skimmer for my bed room. (60 gal)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering can't I just put a cotton sheet on egg crate on top of a mesh filter sock. Bcuz this seems cheaper and seems it might work. Also any suggestions on a cheap and more important QUIET skimmer for my bed room. (60 gal)

Do you not reuse the socks? You can use any type of mechanical filtration as long as it is inert. I use sheets of 100% polyester fiber fill for 3$ and cut to size for my son's 29 bio cube.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not reuse the socks? You can use any type of mechanical filtration as long as it is inert. I use sheets of 100% polyester fiber fill for 3$ and cut to size for my son's 29 bio cube.
Well.... I do reuse them but it's much easier for a sheet to be removed than a sock. Also, family doesn't exactly like the idea of fish poop in their washing machine.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I do reuse them but it's much easier for a sheet to be removed than a sock. Also, family doesn't exactly like the idea of fish poop in their washing machine.

Old trickle wet/dry filters used to have a tray on top with a bunch of holes where you could place a sheet of filter floss. Maybe you could find or build something like that. Some egg crate and pad of filter material would work just fine too.

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long time now, I've moved over to nylon filter socks. I don't even wash them anymore. I rinse them out really well under the bathtub faucet once every 4-5 days and they come out good enough to re-use.

I'm done with the felt socks, they clog up fast and washing them each time is so much hassle. Everybody wants to over-filtrate everything. The nylon filter socks catch the biggest particles and that is good enough!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back