FILTER SOCKS - do you need them, alternatives and the great debate

Do you use filter socks or some other replacement alternative for it?

• YES - Filter Socks

Votes: 105 48.4%
  • No - I use something in its place.

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • No - I got NOTHING in there!

Votes: 43 19.8%

• Total voters

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are poly matrix balls?
We kit them in our AIO's. They are pretty amazing. Great filtration. Good home for beneficial bacteria and the best is they last forever. When they need cleaning, you simply squeeze them out a few times (no tap water of course) and put them back in. You don't want to get them too clean. Just ifew squeezes. The aquarium water clouds up a little bit at first then quickly becomes crystal clear. This is a small one. Our bigger version is about the size of a baseball.
C1C07B0B-D13E-4903-A249-FABFD34A716E.jpeg

5DFDAA22-D04A-4203-A6BC-449C088FFD13.jpeg

00B1BC44-DF06-4C8E-8F21-32CA324C41C3.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally ran filter socks. The reason, for some reason I was concerned about snails coming down the drain and committing suicide in my skimmer pump or return pump. I eventaully got smart and realized my big snails could never get past the saw-teeth on the overflow.....back left corner.

Sump 12 2016.JPG

But here's the thing with socks....I ran mesh socks. Very easy to clean by running under the sink while rubbing fabric to fabric for a minute or so....done. For the life of me I don't understand those who run felt socks. The only way to properly clean them is to power wash them, and I wasn't going to do that.

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked into these. Honestly, I don't see where they are any better than socks. You need to dump the old floss and refill with new, which to me, seems more of a hassle than just R&R a sock. Perhaps I have a very simple sock holder that makes this process nearly effortless? Seriously, it takes me less than a minute to swap socks out. It takes longer to program the washing machine on wash day than it does to replace the socks....
You must be kidding…. Buy the cup and a big bag of floss and no washer dryer and can clean out the cups daily easy as pie.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We kit them in our AIO's. They are pretty amazing. Great filtration. Good home for beneficial bacteria and the best is they last forever. When they need cleaning, you simply squeeze them out a few times (no tap water of course) and put them back in. You don't want to get them too clean. Just ifew squeezes. The aquarium water clouds up a little bit at first then quickly becomes crystal clear. This is a small one. Our bigger version is about the size of a baseball.
C1C07B0B-D13E-4903-A249-FABFD34A716E.jpeg

5DFDAA22-D04A-4203-A6BC-449C088FFD13.jpeg

00B1BC44-DF06-4C8E-8F21-32CA324C41C3.jpeg
Perfect thing for qt or emergency set up. Just keep some floating in the sump and they'll be ready when you need them. Hmmm. Does the flow reduce progressively? I'm interested. Thanks

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using filter socks for some time now. It’s a routine that I adapted to that works for me. I also have a filter roller that I use. There all implemented in my scheduled maintenance. Some reefers done feed there tanks because that is a chore lol

ReefingMom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea filter cups with floss on top. My aquarium isn't even a Red Sea, but I guess they're a pretty standard size. Super easy. I just grab the floss with tongs and replace it every few days.

DevilDuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter cups with just a bag of ceramic media in it until I start to notice nutrients creeping up or visible detritus floating in the water. Then I toss in some floss for a week. I find maybe every other month I'll add the floss when I have time. Super simple and I think it helps the natural pod population.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thing for qt or emergency set up. Just keep some floating in the sump and they'll be ready when you need them. Hmmm. Does the flow reduce progressively? I'm interested. Thanks
The flow does reduce as the load builds up. These are much easier to deal with than socks. But then again, it's all a matter preference. What we like about these is the reusability. Yes, socks can be reused but most of the time they are tossed out. It's a green thing.

squirrelbaffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my skimmer with a downdraft, poly mat, foam fractioning filter from two stacked plastic colanders I bought at Walmart. I change the poly once a week. Works like a champ.

E3B80319-2D9C-4864-B01E-5717C2A6F709.jpeg

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while I've been reading posts promoting a roller mat solution, but I've never had an issue with using felt socks. Like a earlier post indicated, I also keep a 5-gal bucket with bleach water that I put my used socks in when I change them out weekly during a water change. I know BRS has apparently proven it's best to replace every 3 days, but I have no issues with nitrate, etc, build-up by only replacing weekly. Once a month, I run the used socks thru the washing machine with only bleach added to the water with an extra rinse cycle. As most of the socks have been soaking in bleach-water for weeks by the time they hit the washer, they're basically already white again before washing and I have no mess/smell with them in the washing machine, so no hassle from the wife. I let the cleaned socks air dry for a few days and they're ready to be reused. For me, I don't see any wasted time/effort/money using socks and I'll continue to use them as they're extremely effective in maintaining clear water.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make filter socks for about .50 each now, and toss them.
A173A872-F487-4AF1-A560-F0291DB2FDE9.jpeg
0A71D93A-4F29-4F67-AA0D-FFE0DBA7540B.jpeg

I get about 165 sock out of 10 yards for fabric. This will last for 9 to 10 months.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use mechanical filtration at all. I consider it harmful in the reef.
Same, I suspect it limits how much food is available to certain inhabitants, though that is just speculation. I really think it makes little to no difference. I mean, my nutrient levels didn't change when I stopped using filter floss.

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people will learn from what I'm about to say, it is something that makes life easier that I have spent more than a decade figuring out.

I use polyester sheets that I throw away because I am not cleaning filter socks and polyester does the same thing.

The only benefit they give me is clear water, nothing else. I have a fuge that is more efficient than I need at lowering nitrate and phosphate. With a huge fish load that gets fed 12 times a day via autofeeder.

Polyester sheets give me clear water, fuge takes care of nitrates and phosphate, live rock and bioballs take care of the biological filtration. I have no need for a skimmer, it's job is already taken care of in my previous filtration. No messing with skimmer and cleaning out the bowl. No cleaning filter socks. Keep it simple and make it easier on yourself and you will have better results, also you spend less time on maintenance and are more likely to do it consistently.

And I don't change my polyester every 3 days like brs swears by. Their only job should be to keep the water clear. It is 2022, you should use something besides filter socks/ polyester to control nutrients. Change about once a week to keep the water clear.

I have no need to worry about nitrate and phosphate for my corals. I feed so much that their is always nutrients in the water to eat. They never get above 2 ppm or .03, but even at 0 there is always a small constant supply of nutrients. Just like the ocean. I don't need to test for nitrate very often, it is always between 0 and 2 ppm.
seems convenient, but single use and micro plastics blah blah blah

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back