Filter socks straight in washer??

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!! I know this has probably been asked a dozen times. I have about 20 socks that need cleaning. Can I skip the hose wash outside and go straight to the washer with bleach? I typically turn the socks inside out and hose them off outside first then throw them in the washer with bleach. However, it is 25 degrees outside and I do not feel like hosing them off.

So, does anyone have luck with turning them inside out and just throwing them in? Will it mess up my washer. Dont really want my wife to kill me just yet.. lol

This is what I do:

1) Turn socks inside out
2) run the washer empty with hot water to remove any residual detergent
3) wash socks with hot water
4) run the washer empty to remove any resident sock debris and leave washer clean

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a similar procedure to most here, but haven't had issues running with cold water:
  1. Socks inside-out (obvs)
  2. Run washer with ~1/4 scoop of oxyclean (5 socks, small load size)
  3. Run rinse cycle (with socks still in)
  4. Rinse and ring out with fresh RODI
No problems with doing this for just about ~1.5 years with the same socks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me toooooo Just bleach um and 2 rinses. Let dry.

Dirty

Socks_Dirty.jpg

Clean

Socks_Clean.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only half came out clean. I think 20 might have been too many for the washer. I will spray them out tonight and run one more cycle. Didnt mess the washer up though so that is a plus.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only half came out clean. I think 20 might have been too many for the washer. I will spray them out tonight and run one more cycle. Didnt mess the washer up though so that is a plus.

If you want the best way to clean filter socks 100% clean ( just washing them does not remove all of the old dead crap embedded in the fibers ) take about 5-6 at a time and soak them in straight hydrogen peroxide ( google this method and see ) overnight , throw directly in the washing machine and you will have perfect;y clean socks ! did this for years and worked amazing !

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had no issues just tossing my socks straight into the washer with no pre rinse in the sink. Run an extra rinse cycle and use hot water too. I haven't used bleach as our washer is terrible about using bleach (it bleaches clothes for loads afterward) but might try using vinegar next time.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw a bunch in at once and wash with nothing but water. A 2nd rinse cycle works well for piece of mind on making sure they have been rinsed well and have no residual soaps on them. Then just air dry for 24 hours and start using them again.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!! I know this has probably been asked a dozen times. I have about 20 socks that need cleaning. Can I skip the hose wash outside and go straight to the washer with bleach? I typically turn the socks inside out and hose them off outside first then throw them in the washer with bleach. However, it is 25 degrees outside and I do not feel like hosing them off.

So, does anyone have luck with turning them inside out and just throwing them in? Will it mess up my washer. Dont really want my wife to kill me just yet.. lol

As a matter fact I did that today, I rinse on my laundry sink and throw them directly on the washer machine with some water and bleach just plain water no soap or detergents, only water and bleach and not to much bleach either, this will reduce any harmful bacteria that may cause illness to the fishes as well as clean my socks filters. One important thing is that I do not let the washer go for the full cycle but stop the washer half way and turn the socks inside out and give it more time in the washer, another important thing I do is to take the socks and pull them out of the machine and rinse it very well to not leave no chlorine on it , but to me it works! also it wont harm your washer .

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn my socks inside out. I give it a quick rinse then throw the one used sock into a redsea bucket (55g size) with bleach water. I have another large 5 gallon bucket under the laundry room slop sink. As I change socks I rotate the sock from the bleach water to the 5 gallon.....once the 5 gallon is full I throw all of the socks into the washer. After the bleach soak the socks are basically white. I wash once inside out. And again after the first cycle and I turn my socks right side. And I too store my clean socks in a bucket of water mixed with prime.....I wring out the sock really good before it goes back into the sump

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife would need to be defibrillated if I did that, but otherwise I don’t see why not.
My wife has started washing them for me. Wash inside out with bleach only on extra rinse cycle. I just make sure they’re good and dry and give them a sniff to make sure no detergent or fabric softener went in there by mistake.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn it inside out, and give it a quick rinse under faucet, then put it in the dirty socks bucket. When getting to the second to the last sock, I fill the bucket with water and bleach, overnight, then into washer. Come out white and clean.

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get yourself a compact rollermat and then never have to worry about it again! Haha. I always hated washing filter socks so usually let em get bad then trow away. I think the rollermat actually saves me $$$ but for sure a lot of headache.
Perhaps a roller mat could be in my near future

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been really happy with mine. A little effort changing out the filter material but u really dont have to do it often at all. Way easier than filter socks for a lazy person like me than doesnt like the daily grind. Biggest problem ive had was totaly user error on my part. Dont remeber why but i held down the advace button and it ended up advancing the whole roll ......... very slowly. I just assumed it would stop when let off the botton but u have to push again. I'm not good at reading instructions. Lol. Other than that no problems at all.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Almost pulled the trigger on black friday sale. However, went with the 7" plastic insert cups and going to try the disposable floss method.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing that for years. Extra soak and extra rinse then come out like new. Bleach is pretty amazing.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When felt socks were used I would have a bucket of water and oxiclean. All the dirty socks went in, inside out to soak. After 5-10 socks we're ready to be washed they would get rinsed to get the large particles out and air dried. Switched to red sea mesh and never looked back, quick rinse in the sink and done.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back