Filter Socks

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question for all of you!

I've been running my 46g bowfront for over a year now and chaeto growth has been crazy! I recently added a single filter sock replaced every other day over the last month due to being clogged and overflowing. I've started to notice the crazy decline in my chaeto so I removed the sock and have been letting it go and it has started to grow again. The only other change I have added is a bio filter that keeps the chaeto from going into my return section. ***Now the real question is here*** I'm building a new 113g tall and im currently designing the sump and was planning on using a 3 filter sock setup. Is it due to a light bioload in my 46g? I currently have 2 oc clowns, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 pink spotted goby, 1 lemon peel angel and 3 corals. First time in a bit that im stumped with this, filter socks keep water pristine but it may be to pristine. Let me know what everyone thinks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So question for all of you!

I've been running my 46g bowfront for over a year now and chaeto growth has been crazy! I recently added a single filter sock replaced every other day over the last month due to being clogged and overflowing. I've started to notice the crazy decline in my chaeto so I removed the sock and have been letting it go and it has started to grow again. The only other change I have added is a bio filter that keeps the chaeto from going into my return section. ***Now the real question is here*** I'm building a new 113g tall and im currently designing the sump and was planning on using a 3 filter sock setup. Is it due to a light bioload in my 46g? I currently have 2 oc clowns, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 pistol shrimp, 1 pink spotted goby, 1 lemon peel angel and 3 corals. First time in a bit that im stumped with this, filter socks keep water pristine but it may be to pristine. Let me know what everyone thinks.
Had similar issue, then went to mesh style. SO easy to clean by hand and allows full flow while trapping sediment

OP
OP
devlzluv

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, im all about DIY and dont want to spend the money on buying the pre-made socks. I may need to find rolls of the mesh style and sew them. Didn't even think about the type of sock that would cause this.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if a small amount of ChaetoGRO would help out buy providing the essential elements your chaeto needs? However God know we need another chemical to add to our tanks lol. I've heard many great things about ChaetoGRO from friends and other fellow reefers.

OP
OP
devlzluv

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the new setup I was planning on doing a 40g breeder with 3 socks, skimmer chamber and then a return chamber. Adding a 10-20 completely separate fuge off to the side and grow mangroves, grapes, chaeto and control the flow. But if the filter socks are taking way to much from the tank then I may need to figure something else out. The goal for me is to make my 113g build near perfect!

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy When you say mesh style, what exactly is that? Maybe a link to what you use?

Thx, sometimes I want a bit of sock interference but not the full blown.

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mesh will let more through them than the felt. I ran then for years due to them being easier to clean and takes longer to clog up, but it really didn't block as much as my felts do now. Not sure I could go back to mesh.

Socks may trap nutrients that you might need, buy I'll take that over particulate in the water and sump.

OP
OP
devlzluv

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mesh will let more through them than the felt. I ran then for years due to them being easier to clean and takes longer to clog up, but it really didn't block as much as my felts do now. Not sure I could go back to mesh.

Socks may trap nutrients that you might need, buy I'll take that over particulate in the water and sump.

Ya they absolutely filter way more and it became routine to change out every other day. Water was pristine, parameters were good. Lol but chaeto said nah not today dev and started shedding and just reduce to nearly the size of a fist vs a basketball size. Its growing now since ive taken the sock off but idk what to do, run no sock every 2 weeks or figure out a fine median. 3 socks on the new tank may be worse as I also plan on running 3 reactors.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, im all about DIY and dont want to spend the money on buying the pre-made socks. I may need to find rolls of the mesh style and sew them. Didn't even think about the type of sock that would cause this.

If you find the mesh material please post a thread on it. I've been looking for this material for years and cant find the right material. I've been to several Joanns and they always point me to the wedding dress type material area but so far no luck. I make my socks with out the rings and just use rubber bands/zip tie to hold the sock on to my overflow pipe. I have to be careful and change it daily though.

OP
OP
devlzluv

devlzluv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really thinking screen printing mesh fabric would be a win. 99% of the time its un-additive added to the fabric due to the need of using paint which may cause a separation of it. Im going to research this and maybe try some.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me say every tank is different. Each one seems to have a mind of its own. One likes socks the other does not. Ying and the Yang or that Box of Chocolates, never know what ya will get

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ON THE MESH-3
Bought them cheaper than Amazon from BRS and they were buy Two, get one free. I bought 4 and got two free and got 3 sets out of the deal.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually run 1 mesh and 1 cloth. The mesh collects the bacteria slime from NoPox dosing. For some reason that’s where it grow in my system which is actually great!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use any filter socks on reef tanks. Never had a problem with particulate. YMMV

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't forget about filter media cups which can also be a good option depending on your needs.

Back