Filter sponge

james_ponce80

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
21
Location
nj
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to all this. I have a Waterbox 20 gallon cube Aio, and I recently took out both filter sponges from the back. Now my tank is a mess, looks like ashes all over. What should I do? Reason I took it out is bc I read somewhere that was probably the cause of all my hammers and candy canes were dying. I tested the water and everything was good, but I was desperate and now I have this problem?
 
Odd. Sponges will trap detritus and should be cleaned routinely, but I am suspicious that they caused the decline in your corals. Put the sponges back in to clear the water.

In a newer tank the decline was likely due to unstable water chemistry.

:)
 
why would filter sponges kill coral??

Just buy some of this stuff, cut it to size and replace as needed and toss the old stuff. super quick and easy no cleaning needed. https://amzn.to/3FiG8Wh
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new