Filter tried to boil my fish

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to be quick. My DT started to leak a month ago so I put my fish and coral into a 20 g tank while I worked on a new tank (90 gallon-should be ready for livestock today)

While I was away this weekend, my canister filter on the 20g got plugged up so I came home to a temp alarm registering 27 Celsius (25 is where it normally sits).

So I changed about 4-5gallons of water out and then put a bag of ice into the tank. I get that I likely cooled it too fast but it is what it is at this point.

There were 2 clowns, a banggai cardinal and a scooter blenny. I lost the blenny (so upset about this). The cardinal looks good. The clowns look to have whiteish patches on them but are swimming happily as ever. Great appetites still.

I was expecting to put the clowns in the new tank yesterday but didn’t due to the impromptu fish boil.

What should I do? I need to get the new tank going but the look of the clowns worries me.

Please help

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stress of temp changes likely suppressed their immune system, leaving them exposed to some parasite/disease.

Personally, I would keep them in your temporary "QT" and figure out what you should treat. Get some good pics of the fish, under white light and post back here. If video, load it to youtube and paste a link.

Then a fish expert can chime in. #reefsquad

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess the original temperature change had little or no effect on the fish. If accurate, you went between 77 and ~80 degrees, likely over some time if the water volume was 20 gallons and it was a single electrical source. I'm going to guess the sudden drop in temperature with the ice pack is was what did the damage. However, as you said, the damage is done, so that's neither here nor there and inconsequential at this point.

I agree with @ScottB about their immune system - pictures would absolutely help. I would hold off on transferring them and convert their tank into a observation tank with possible treatment if warranted.

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was upset at the filter before and now I’m disgusted with myself.

I attached a few pics. The clowns look terrible but the cardinal looks okay. That said, the clowns are swimming happily as ever and the cardinal isn’t moving as well as he used to. The clown’s issues look more like ich today.
I just turned the lights on so that is why the corals are mostly closed up.

in light of the suggestion to keep the clowns in a QT, please give me some guidance.
-Should I put the corals (all soft corals) into the new tank in order to clean out the 20g?
-should I move the cardinal to the new tank?

Thanks for the quick replies. I really appreciate the help. I just wish I would have taken a moment last night instead of panicking. (Idiot!!!!!)

A2D93341-2143-4349-BF89-645AF9DBEAE0.jpeg EFCAC2E7-711C-487F-9618-83E8EFB91228.jpeg DE3501BA-CFFC-4FA7-99A8-9A8A7245EDC8.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't beat yourself up; we've all made our own mistakes. I could write a book of mine.

I hope you can save your fish. Somebody should be along shortly to help you through treatment. Or you can look around for articles by @Humblefish about disease ID and treatment.

You are asking good questions about next steps. You will get some varying responses, so let me give you some context so you can choose what is right for you.

If we assume you have ich...

By moving over your rock & corals, you are (likely) introducing ich to your new system unless you run the new tank fallow for ~72 days or so while the ich starves out. Meanwhile, you will need to treat the fish in a third vessel as the meds cannot be done in a tank with rock/coral.

Unless you plan on prophylactic QT for 72 days ON EVERY WET thing you choose to put in there, you might as well go ahead and move rock/coral over so you can treat the fish. The purists will cry foul to this, and I respect the work they undertake for care of their fish. It is a lot of work to keep a totally ich free tank.

Personally, I just manage ich. I have too many corals moving in/out of my systems. I focus instead on fish immune system management.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was upset at the filter before and now I’m disgusted with myself.

I attached a few pics. The clowns look terrible but the cardinal looks okay. That said, the clowns are swimming happily as ever and the cardinal isn’t moving as well as he used to. The clown’s issues look more like ich today.
I just turned the lights on so that is why the corals are mostly closed up.

in light of the suggestion to keep the clowns in a QT, please give me some guidance.
-Should I put the corals (all soft corals) into the new tank in order to clean out the 20g?
-should I move the cardinal to the new tank?

Thanks for the quick replies. I really appreciate the help. I just wish I would have taken a moment last night instead of panicking. (Idiot!!!!!)

A2D93341-2143-4349-BF89-645AF9DBEAE0.jpeg EFCAC2E7-711C-487F-9618-83E8EFB91228.jpeg DE3501BA-CFFC-4FA7-99A8-9A8A7245EDC8.jpeg
The clowns look more like Brook and maybe Ich too.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott - thank you for the encouraging words. They are appreciated!! I also really appreciate the guidance for how to move forward. I forgot to mention my CUC so I will plan to move them to the new DT with the coral (unless I shouldn’t) but I believe they will not survive a treatment.

bigG-thanks for the insight and link. I’ll hit the Lfs to see if I can find some meds as soon as the coral coms out of the tank (which I will do asap in light of the timeframe brook can kill fish on)

keep the advice coming

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip will help with all parasites and buy you time to get ready to treat.

Hybrid TTM can treat all parasites: Brook, Ich, Velvet, uronema
All you need are two tanks + hydrogen peroxide

Or

Freshwater dip, followed by 60 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally helps to prevent infections, and then into Copper + Metro (for Brook)

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
I did a freshwater dip on the two clowns. Let’s just say they didn’t enjoy it much.
I called the lfs and was told they can no longer sell formalin. Keep in mind I’m in Canada. She said they just passed a law about certain medicine/chemicals. She has some ruby reef products so I’ll go check it out. Any suggestions based on this info?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Substituting the hydrogen peroxide/saltwater bath for formalin works pretty well. Works best on early diagnosed infections.

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some ruby reef kick ich. It’s about all they had. I’ll do some research on your suggestion too.

law came into effect in Canada last May I guess.

I’ll post back with updates. Thanks again!

OP
OP
H

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I lost the clowns. So surprised it was them yet the cardinal is in the new tank and doing good so far. Not so sure he’s eating enough but will watch.
pretty upset about all of the loss! The good news is I can take my time picking some new tank mates for the cardinal.
thanks for the guidance!

28C7E0BC-A61A-4860-934F-C82B220BAA80.jpeg

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m also in Canada and you can’t buy meds here. If you are planning to qt fish in the future you can buy copper power on Amazon.ca, and fish meds on eBay. You willpay through the teeth for the eBay meds as they ship out of the USA. The hybrid ttm is a solid alternative that covers many illnesses except internal parasites.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back