filtration / sumps

port21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All
This is my second post to the group,i am a newbie to reefing at the moment i don't have a setup but this was why i joined here to gain as information as i can before i start.
I'm now looking into filtration and sumps,i have read some of the threads already in the group but wanted to ask a few questions.
I'm thinking of going with a roller filter rather than filter socks,just wonder what peoples thoughts were on the rollers and if you changed from one to the other what things did you notice.
A skimmer is a must but not sure which one that's something else to look into.
The next thing is one of these 3 in the sump refugium,live rock or bio media,what are peoples thoughts on these 3,have you changed from one to another,if so what positives or negatives did you get by changing if you've changed at all.
cheers

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Rollers Could be problematic and socks are a pain I modded my sump with simple fine and coarse sponge i rinsed them out weekly. EASY IMO. Get a skimmer that suits your system. Too small not effective too large also ineffective. Go moderate size. I use ASM skimmers easy quick service and Been around for years so they have a great track record. They come in Various sizes. I have used most makes of skimmers ASM is Cheaper and EFFECTIVE!!! Lifereef also makes a Good skimmer venturi and well made and Also great track record but 600 dollars in price, JUST my thought s Good luck!

OP
OP
P

port21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Rollers Could be problematic and socks are a pain I modded my sump with simple fine and coarse sponge i rinsed them out weekly. EASY IMO. Get a skimmer that suits your system. Too small not effective too large also ineffective. Go moderate size. I use ASM skimmers easy quick service and Been around for years so they have a great track record. They come in Various sizes. I have used most makes of skimmers ASM is Cheaper and EFFECTIVE!!! Lifereef also makes a Good skimmer venturi and well made and Also great track record but 600 dollars in price, JUST my thought s Good luck!
thanks very much

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
save your money and don't buy a roller, is my view, but the choice is yours....
Simple is my way, I just got to a fabric store and buy felt by the yard, cut it up to sizes I need and put it in my filter cup area. Then when it comes to changing them out in a few days or a week, I just put a new one in and throw the dirty one away...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back