OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know whether he's eating or not. He's going for the food and is chewing. But he keeps spitting it out again. He "tries" to eat a lot of things, but keeps spitting them out. Almost like he just doesn't like it. I do not know how much he actually eats. And I genuinely don't know how long he's been doing that. Because that's totally how he always eats, but he usually eats up eventually. I didn't see him do that this morning. I may have just missed him not really eating up the previous days, I really don't know.

This is from yesterday evening:
IMG_8854.JPG

He's not postering, you can see how much he's slimmed in the posterior part. And you can see his jaw/cheek bone.
IMG_0829.jpg

For comparison, that was Monday afternoon:

IMG_3403.JPG

Last edited:

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no man, I am sorry but he really doesn’t look good. It’s very hard to know what is causing this, I have a lionfish who isn’t eating right now, it really sucks. If you have a PetSmart or petco near you try picking up some glass shrimp or some smalL feeder fish. It is not a healthy long term option but it is worth a try. I am not really sure what else to tell you. I’m sorry :(

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband just fed him a quarter cube Mysis, which he eagerly ate and didn't spit out again. He told me before he was observing him and saying he was looking for food and trying a lot of what's floating around (I'm gonna try to remove as much uneaten food as possible when I get home this afternoon, of course! Also will add more Prime). Will ask my husband to keep feeding small amounts until I'll be back.

They only had this at Petco, I hope that's ok food. I've never used this brand before. https://www.marinedepot.com/piscine...MIxIfqjeGC7AIVuh-tBh3-kgw_EAAYASAAEgL7LPD_BwE

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks fine food wise. I’ve never used it but I’m sure it’s fine. If you can add some add some variety it won’t hurt. Next time you are at the grocery some shrimp, scallops, clams, squid, anything along those lines can be chopped up and fed to him as well. Soaking any of the food in vitality or a similar product will boost his immune system.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin rot is generally associated with a bacterial infection brought on by poor water conditions. The most common symptoms of this condition includes reddening or fraying of the fins and in some cases, the infection may lead to total destruction of the fin. The key to treating this disease is to halt its progression before the fins are totally destroyed by Removing any affected fish to a quarantine tank and begin treatment with an anti-bacterial medication.
Frequent water changes to improve water quality in the tank will also be key. The eye issue may be from water quality issues also. Focus on ammoiunia and Nitrate and increase oxygen if possible.
I have no faith in ammonia Badge and would encourage you to take a water sample to a trusted LFS and verify the readings and to compare with the badge.
100% agree. This sounds like bacteria and potentially less that ideal water.

Reefers on this forum have mixed KanaPlex/Metronidazole/Furan-2 with some success. The key is to do water changes as directed, increase aeration (more flow at surface or air-stone) and keep an eye on feeding as there will be a decreased appetite.

As hobbyists, a lot of what we do medication wise is more of a shot in the dark and less scientific than we probably would like to admit. Best of luck to you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My husband just fed him a quarter cube Mysis, which he eagerly ate and didn't spit out again. He told me before he was observing him and saying he was looking for food and trying a lot of what's floating around (I'm gonna try to remove as much uneaten food as possible when I get home this afternoon, of course! Also will add more Prime). Will ask my husband to keep feeding small amounts until I'll be back.

They only had this at Petco, I hope that's ok food. I've never used this brand before. https://www.marinedepot.com/piscine...MIxIfqjeGC7AIVuh-tBh3-kgw_EAAYASAAEgL7LPD_BwE
Good mysis with extra vitamins

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do a big 50% water change tomorrow after the 4th 24h of Furan. Directed is 25% but with whatever's been going on and the overfeeding, will just gonna do 50%. Though his initial fin rot infection definitely stemmed from fin injury/damage paired with stress.

I've been told not to mix medications on here, when I asked whether I should add something else while treating with the Furan.

I've had an additional airstone running since Saturday.

I'm so worried that him being so skinny and obviously having lost weight fast is a bad sign. Otherwise he's still behaving like a normal humu, not hiding or anything, and eating the mysis eagerly. Is there a chance of him recovering despite having lost so much weight already? I don't think his fin has eroded any further - eyes still cloudy, but not gotten worse from what I can tell.

Last edited:

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do a big 50% water change tomorrow after the 4th 24h of Furan. Directed is 25% but with whatever's been going on and the overfeeding, will just gonna do 50%. Though his initial fin rot infection definitely stemmed from fin injury/damage paired with stress.

I've been told not to mix medications on here, when I asked whether I should add something else while treating with the Furan.

I've had an additional airstone running since Saturday.

I'm so worried that him being so skinny and obviously having lost weight fast is a bad sign. Otherwise he's still behaving like a normal humu, not hiding or anything, and eating the mysis eagerly. Is there a chance of him recovering despite having lost so much weight already? I don't think his fin has eroded any further - eyes still cloudy, but not gotten worse from what I can tell.
There are recommendations each way in regards to mixing meds. I can 100% understand both sides of the argument and I would recommend doing whatever you are comfortable with. Best of luck with the Furan, many people have success with it.

I have successfully mixed meds, but like it has been stated, manufacturers will be hesitant to mix them. Best of luck to you, there are a lot of great people on this thread who are a lot more experienced than I am.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His eyes have gotten worse ;( Despite the Furan treatment. I'm really losing any hope.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Furan-2 is external, so doesn't cross the skin barrier.
That´s not true - it contain nitrofurazone and it is fat soluble - hence it will cross the skin barrier or the gills and be effective even for internal bacterial infections. But be aware - it is not harmless to handle for the aquarist. Gloves on.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the change in feeding preferences be a result of the Furan? I know Furan can impact appetite - but he does show an appetite. He just then decided the "good food" he used to love is yuck.

He's still eagerly eating the mysis. How many cubes can I give him per day?

His behavior is still normal, the feeding fuzziness aside. But he's super super skinny.

Could he really have lost that much weight just from fighting the infection? He's probably lost like half his weight within 5 or so days. Like, neither his behavior nor his color indicate he's stressed - but his body condition definitely does.

If I stop the Furan (today is day 5, last WC as per instructions), is there still a chance his cloudy eyes will go away? Or should I start a second round?

His fins have not eroded further, but I still see a little bit of milkyness and a faint white line on the edge. Could it go back to worse now the antibiotic treatment is finished?

I will do a 50% WC today. I will try to do more multiple 25% WCs next week, but I can't promise. I don't mix water myself and accessibility of the seawater I'm using is rather limited because of COVID. I can't store enough in advance, I just don't have the means.

I will try to get Vitality today. Things are just so dang limited here on Maui and Amazon takes forever to get here.

#reefsquad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That´s not true - it contain nitrofurazone and it is fat soluble - hence it will cross the skin barrier or the gills and be effective even for internal bacterial infections. But be aware - it is not harmless to handle for the aquarist. Gloves on.

Sincerely Lasse

Additionally, all marine fish need to drink water to maintain osmotic balance, so in-water treatments get internalized that way. Freshwater fish don't do that, so adding meds to their water does not get transported well internally.

jay

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the reason why erythromycin works for saltwater but not so much for freshwater. However nitrofurazone (or a derivative of it) was explicite constructed for treatment of freshwater farmed fish - as I remember - it but get banned when its carcinogenic nature was discovered. Works very well as bath in freshwater for internal bacterial infections

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One large 50% water change today or one 25% today and one 25% tomorrow?

I'm a little worried that a large 50% water change might change parameters too quickly (pH?), causing a shock to his system.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back