Final 2 fish ??

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out your build thread. Looking good. See flasher wrasse on your stocking list...really cool fish but I haven’t had the best of luck with them.
I have tried two flasher wrasse (McCosker and Carpenter) in my tank. Both made it through QT with no trouble. Both seemed very healthy for the short time I had them. First one got itself stuck in a small cave and died. Thought it was hiding because I could see it’s tail - but no movement for maybe 10 minutes and the hermits went after it. Tried to get it out of rock but already suffocated. Second was out feeding one morning and then disappeared. Guessing my serpent star got him, but never saw it again.
Hopefully this is bad luck and not the norm.
Thanks! I appreciate the tips.

You should make a build thread when you have time! Also, if you want, comment on mine and you’ll see when I keep it updated on livestock additions. :)

OP
OP

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a basslet? Many to choose from and they are very colourful.
Agreed. Had thought about chalk bass in small group rather than green chromis but ended up going the chromis route. Now looking for utility fish and I don’t think basslets are big workers in the tank.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep prob too small for any wrasses other than the really small possum wrasses. My leopard wrasse ate all my spirorbids (i think it was her at least) but it is in an 80 gallon tank and does swim around all day pecking at the rocks. Moderately slow growing too but again hard call for one in a 40. I say get multiple different species of snails for the algae.
Just a safer bet for the 40 is to go with an active but smaller tank stunner like a pygmy angelfish, then wait awhile to check how nutrients in the tank are going, if they are fine look into a utility fish like the pink streaked or tanakas wrasse. Obviously there are many options for the 1-2 fish that can go into the tank but reading it looks like the tank is missing a centerpiece fish in the tank rn
Six-line. People are wrong. Mine is fun to watch and beautiful

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a six line too, hated it, it nipped every fish in the tank regardless of size. they are a real hit or miss fish and it seems like it tends to be too territorial most of the time imo

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back