Final fish addition to My small reef

Jugern0t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Browsed here a bunch, fist post.

I have a 32 gallon tank, took about 25 gallons total after displacement from rocks and sand. It has been running for about 3 months.

So far stock is; red firefish, 2 ocellaris clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a yellow watchman goby pistol shrimp pair, few hermits, 1 emerald crab, and a conch. Letting the tank roll for a bit longer before adding any coral, which will be mostly leathers and soft corals with an eventual torch for which I have a good isolated spot picked out. It just went through a diatom phase (started with white dry rock) and looks like that has cleared up nicely. I generally feed mysis or brine twice a day. With the algae dying back I will start feeding some form of vegetable matter as well.

I would like to add 1 more fish, and was thinking about a sixline wrasse. I am just afraid of it becoming aggressive. Anyone think I am being overly worried? I don't think I've seen more mixed reviews from a single fishes temperament in all my life. I know you can never truly know a fish.

My plan with sixline, due to its possible aggressive nature, is to possibly add it much further down the line, possibly 6 months to a year from now, by then I hope to have some corals growing and happy. By then the tank should be much more balanced, the existing fish have had time to grow, and then add a sixline when it is still really small.

Any possible alternatives to this wrasse? I am specifically looking for something with a unique pattern as most of my other fish are generally plain looking in the pattern department. Also a fish that swims around the water and rocks. I would consider the firefish the only real open water swimmer. The clowns do too, but not as much.

Have had freshwater tanks for a long time, but honeymoon in the Bahamas and freediving the reef has me hooked xD

Also side note, My maintenance plan is to change a 5 gallon bucket every 2 weeks. Right now it seems like I need to change 5 gallons every week. This should change as the tank matures right?

thanks all,

Josiah_445

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Christmas wrasse a couple months ago and had the same worries about his aggression, it really just depends on the fish you just have to watch it. I have a Sailfin tang and 2 clowns and my tang and him and best friends now. I think a wrasse is a good idea since they’re very active fish and will help with any pests in the tank also. I would do some research on some smaller wrasse species tho since some of they can get pretty big

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back