Final (ish) questions....

Lolipop0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is to start a 10 gallon reef tank this summer with softies and maybe some easy lps. As long as the corals grow, I’ll be pleased essentially. I’m thinking zoas (I know,palytoxin) maybe some elegances, candy canes, Duncan’s ect. In terms of equipment, for flow, I have a powerhead and a filter for BB I have live rock if that counts... I’d like to add a pair of clowns to the tank as well. (False Percula) I know the stockings getting close to the limit. For water, I hope to be able to use my well water. I have all of the perameters but I’m not 100 percent sure what is relevant in wether I can use that water or not... I was too scaredy cat to try it with my precious seahorses, but it would be easier for me as I can’t go to the fish store frequently enough and water changes get delayed. So, in essence, I’m asking for opinions on all of this... will it work?

OP
OP
L

Lolipop0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WVNed You’d throw away the filter? I know it can be a good place for nitrates to grow but it also helps with the flow in the tank so in my other saltwaters, I’ve weighed the benefits and find they outnumber the downside. Is there any particular reason not to use well water if the perameters are known? What was our I need to look for to ensure it’s safe to use? Do you have any experience with using well water in aquariums?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a filter except a skimmer in a marine tank. Just pumps to move the water and live rock. Only God knows what is in well water. I ran my first 2 tanks on distilled water from Walmart.

I run my 75 the same way I did my 20 gallon long. A skimmer and water changes.
The only thing I had in the back chambers of the NanoCube was more live rock.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan is to start a 10 gallon reef tank this summer with softies and maybe some easy lps. As long as the corals grow, I’ll be pleased essentially. I’m thinking zoas (I know,palytoxin) maybe some elegances, candy canes, Duncan’s ect. In terms of equipment, for flow, I have a powerhead and a filter for BB I have live rock if that counts... I’d like to add a pair of clowns to the tank as well. (False Percula) I know the stockings getting close to the limit. For water, I hope to be able to use my well water. I have all of the perameters but I’m not 100 percent sure what is relevant in wether I can use that water or not... I was too scaredy cat to try it with my precious seahorses, but it would be easier for me as I can’t go to the fish store frequently enough and water changes get delayed. So, in essence, I’m asking for opinions on all of this... will it work?

First of all, don't ever stop asking questions. I'm only a few months in myself (probably a lot newer than you) but I'm sure even the experienced people learn new stuff now and again. I'm sure the hobby has changed over the years and our understanding and methods will likely continue to change.

Sorry didn't mean to rant.

So to clarify are you talking about using well water with or without an RODI filter?

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read a couple of posts from Google. Sounds like it is not worth the risk to use well water without running it through an RODI filter after the water softener (not sure if all wells have this, just what I read).

RODI produces 0TDS water. Get a TDS meter and get an idea of how much total dissolved solids it has in it. My guess is it will be pretty high. I don't think you can test for every possibility of what could be in the water.

Maybe getting a triton/ICP test may be helpful.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2629275

OP
OP
L

Lolipop0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. My well company tests the water. Well water has a tds of about 100. Also, the water district tests for everything and it’s all pretty normal for fish store water. Does everyone think the corals are wise choices for this tank? Is the stocking OK?
@Philipgonzales3 I do have a few months more experience in SW than you but it’s mostly in the nice’ of Dwarf Seahorses. I have read that Google says it might not be wise but I’m wondering why and if my well water is fine for the purpose.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. My well company tests the water. Well water has a tds of about 100. Also, the water district tests for everything and it’s all pretty normal for fish store water. Does everyone think the corals are wise choices for this tank? Is the stocking OK?
@Philipgonzales3 I do have a few months more experience in SW than you but it’s mostly in the nice’ of Dwarf Seahorses. I have read that Google says it might not be wise but I’m wondering why and if my well water is fine for the purpose.

Yeah I'm basically at a FOWLR so far. I do read a lot though. Seems like there is so much information out there and sometimes there is so little when it comes to certain specifics.

Maybe someone on the #reefsquad will have some expertise in this area.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I shouldn’t run charcoal filters at all? I think I am doing this all wrong

Running activated carbon is a preference. It's not necessarily needed unless you are trying to remove a certain contaminant from the water such as heavy metals like copper.

I personally run carbon because I had an issue where a battery fell in the tank. Actually a light with a couple of batteries. I figure I would rather have it and not need it. There is a correlation between carbon and a certain disease. I think it's called HLLE or HLE something like that. But it's not proven from what I understand.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WVNed You’d throw away the filter? I know it can be a good place for nitrates to grow but it also helps with the flow in the tank so in my other saltwaters, I’ve weighed the benefits and find they outnumber the downside. Is there any particular reason not to use well water if the perameters are known? What was our I need to look for to ensure it’s safe to use? Do you have any experience with using well water in aquariums?
You have to see what’s in the well water. Also do you have copper pipes. Do they flush the system with cleaners monthly or quarterly.

A lot of softie tanks with hardy coral can do fine.
However if problems arise it’s hard to diagnose as the water will be the first question.
I’ve worked on many cases where distilled water worked fine. But others that it didn’t. Switching brands did work.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With known parameters from the well – the pipe construction inside the building is of concern as @saltyfilmfolks stated. If the pipes are of copper and they are new or/and if the water low in pH and/or if there is carbon dioxide in the well – you will have a copper issue. I run my tanks with tap water for many years but when I begin to use the no WC method – I switch to RO water

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
L

Lolipop0912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as of today: I think I’ll end up just buying store water. It’s about the same price anyhow.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as of today: I think I’ll end up just buying store water. It’s about the same price anyhow.

The price of getting your own filtration system will both pay for itself financially, as well as being way more convenient for topping off etc making the salinity more stable

Edit: Even at only 10 gallons, if you wanted to make it “convenient” you would stock up on good RO/DI water and store it where???? Heck, I considered not buying a filter for top-offs and I would sacrifice a chunk of space (my house has no basement and we have harsh winters so garage isn’t an option) and just buy a bunch of water from my local shop at $0.79/g and fill a new-clean trashcan with lid to have plenty of water on hand......

A nice heavy-duty “Brute” trashcan costs as much as an RO/DI filter system.

Under $100 (half that if you want a cheap one) and you get the convenience of making as much water as you want, when you want it.

Last edited:

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price of getting your own filtration system will both pay for itself financially, as well as being way more convenient for topping off etc making the salinity more stable

Edit: Even at only 10 gallons, if you wanted to make it “convenient” you would stock up on good RO/DI water and store it where???? Heck, I considered not buying a filter for top-offs and I would sacrifice a chunk of space (my house has no basement and we have harsh winters so garage isn’t an option) and just buy a bunch of water from my local shop at $0.79/g and fill a new-clean trashcan with lid to have plenty of water on hand......

A nice heavy-duty “Brute” trashcan costs as much as an RO/DI filter system.

Under $100 (half that if you want a cheap one) and you get the convenience of making as much water as you want, when you want it.

+1 RODI system is the way to go.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back