Finally a Heater that Keeps Temps Stable

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark - I had 2 heaters and controllers in a little over 5 months that failed on me, and I always had erratic temps. For three months now with this new heater, my tank has been at a consistent 78 degrees. One thing I no longer worry about.
I looked into them and I have one on the way and they are available through innovative marine directly. I have one on the way.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a good heater, but $350 for the 400 watt and it only comes with a 1 year warranty. You need to pay another $70 for a 3 year warranty that many much less expensive heaters come with. Considering you will need two for redundancy we're talking about $840. No thanks.
Well For the last I guess 5 years I have always had my heater on a external controller, that being said I have been in the hobby since the 70s and I have lost way more than 1000 dollars on heater failure.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on this thread recommended the Bayite heater controller. Standard US 115VAC outlets, rather than the proprietary ones that the main subject of this thread uses.

I ordered one. Came in last night. Swapped out my BRS rebranded Inkbird, using the plastic temp probe from the Inkbird, rather than the stainless one that came with the Bayite. Works fine. Plugged in the same 500w Finex TH heater tube I've been using for the last year or so.

A good night's sleep, and here's my Apex temp chart :D

Just wanted to say thanks :)

TempChange.png

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on this thread recommended the Bayite heater controller. Standard US 115VAC outlets, rather than the proprietary ones that the main subject of this thread uses.

I ordered one. Came in last night. Swapped out my BRS rebranded Inkbird, using the plastic temp probe from the Inkbird, rather than the stainless one that came with the Bayite. Works fine. Plugged in the same 500w Finex TH heater tube I've been using for the last year or so.

TempChange.png

Very nice!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TempChange.png
that's good I have the BRS running right now I think my Innovative Marine will be here sometime today.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got my unit today, looks good and heaters are fairly small. More space in my sump and I like the holders. I decided not to install it until I get everything to redo my Apex system I am going to remount and label everything, waiting on my label maker. Should get to it in the next week or so depending on work.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on 4 months now with the Helio 400 watt heater. Have had a couple E1 errors where the heating sensor was not in enough flow. Solved the problem by putting the sensor in my overflow. Have not had any issues in months. The aquarium has been at a consistent 78degrees since installation back in January. Bottom line is that I’m very satisfied with this heater.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I wanted to update you on the progress for the request for longer cables for the heating elements. I've got word back from R&D that they have decided to make the cables for the elements and sensor longer for a total length of 8 feet.

The next production line of heaters will incorporate the longer lengths and we should have them here sometime in May. We will create a list for those that need upgrading as time gets closer so we can send out the longer cables free of charge. In the meantime I have attached a drawing and cable lengths for the next batch of heating systems.

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions,

Best Regards, IM team
Helio Heater Cable Length Diagram.jpg
Hey I just ordered a 1000 watt heater, Order #16061, does this or could this include the longer cable?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 11 months with my Innovative Marine HELIO 400w heater the controller stopped working. Sent an email to IM, received a called shortly after, and before I knew it a new controller was on the way, fully under warranty.

Outstanding Customer Service!!!

Have installed the new controller and am enjoying stable temps once again in my aquarium! Here’s my Apex showing the constant temps again!

8878E5D9-2CDD-43F3-A656-320595C254A0.png

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Colbalt heaters. One is my 32g system and the 300W with two wands in my 90g system (started one year after the 32). Between year 2-3 they each failed and locked on. The replacement on the 32g did it again 2-3 after installed. Prior to this, they did maintain stable temps, so that was great...

I will be interested in long term performance on the IM controller (I will have to look that up). I understanding all heaters fail and the need for redundancy, but I wonder if the increased frequency of in on/off to maintain a stable temp with minor differences just wears them out faster. @Bulk Reef Supply maybe we need an investigates episode :)
Shhh or BRS will try to buy innovative next!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the customer service is great BUT i’ve had a heater element put 120v in my sump and a controller fail in the 6 months of owning it. Great customer service or not I replaced it on my new build as I can’t trust it. It does keep temperatures almost exact but I’m not even sure that’s a good thing.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an audible click when mine turns on or off so it sounds like it's using a mechanical relay. A solid state relay would seem to be a better idea since they can be cycled many more times before failure.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an audible click when mine turns on or off so it sounds like it's using a mechanical relay. A solid state relay would seem to be a better idea since they can be cycled many more times before failure.
In industry, solid state relays drive the heaters, and a mechanical contactor disconnects power in the event of an over temp.
Solid state relays usually fail ON.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you send and email to IM? I sit in my living room with my aquarium all the time and don’t hear any on/off clicks! The controller is on the outside of my stand so that I can easily monitor.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you send and email to IM? I sit in my living room with my aquarium all the time and don’t hear any on/off clicks! The controller is on the outside of my stand so that I can easily monitor.

No, I haven't. I thought it was normal. I'll send them an email and update with their response.

Innovative Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great News for Helio PTC Heater Owners!
All electrical components of the system will be warranted for 5 years. If you have already purchased a Helio, you will automatically be upgraded to the 5 year warranty.

We appreciate support and want you to know we support you too.

IM Team

5 YEAR Warranty.jpg

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All electrical components of the system will be warranted for 5 years. If you have already purchased a Helio, you will automatically be upgraded to the 5 year warranty.

IM Team

5 YEAR Warranty.jpg
Thank you for the warranty extension!

Your heaters are awesome with incredibly stable temps. Now there are even better with the extended warranty!!!!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IM Team

5 YEAR Warranty.jpg
Very nice I bought your extended warranty does that kick in after the 5 years?. I really like this heater

Back