Finally, my build thread...

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After hours and hours of playing with different 3D designers, I am calling it quits. Google Sketchup was perfect for me, except it continues to crash... I will have to do the best that I can to explain my build through pictures and details. I honestly can't wait any longer and I am ready to get my ideas out there so I can begin addressing current problems, and finding new ideas from others!

I guess by starting off I can send pictures of what I am already working with. Please, do not be alarmed. No aquatic life has been housed in this aquarium, and nor do I intend to house anything in it currently. It's basically a sleeping giant as of the moment. I move to a new apartment in July, and I am hoping to have a plan together and all of my equipment sourced out to be ready to go on the day I make my move. That way I can get everything up and cycling on the first day when I move in. I plan to begin cleaning and packing things up over spring break, which is next week. So, things are moving pretty quickly and I want to be as proactive as I can. Anyway, here are the pictures of my current situation.

IMG_2065.jpg IMG_2066.jpg IMG_2067.jpg

As you can see, it is quite a mess. This big boy is measured out to be:

72"L x 18"W x 17"H

The first problem that I would like to address is the stand. It was a DIY project by my Stepfather and I, and just see so many problems. One problem being possible over-engineering, or just lack of coordination when putting it together. Also, it is a very tight fit and hard to work around in. Not to mention that we did not even use sanded plywood.... oh, and do not let me forget that money was wasted on buying all the wood treated. It went about expected for someone's first DIY stand build. I can say this though, she has held!

I want to create a new stand, and I am willing to salvage anything from the old one if need be. The old stand is comprised of entirely 2x4. Everything being screwed in. I have researched and researched, and I think I have finally found a design that I am willing to go with, I will post a picture of it below.

Stand Design.jpg

This design or a variation of it seems to be floating all across the internet. I like it because it is simple. Here's how I envision it going for my build.

Red railing on top: 2x6" lumber (72" in length)
Blue cross boards on top: 2x6" (15" in length)
Purple uprights in the middle: 2x4" (25" in length)
Green uprights within the base: 2x4" (8" in length)

I will wrap everything in 3/4" plywood, or less if over-engineered.

*All boards of like color are the same*

I would like to have the plywood fitted, to where there are no gaps. I also have no experience with glue or pilot hole drilling. From my understanding this build may require that. I would also like to have doors, that aren't as sketchy as these ones currently on it. If possible I would like to implicate a separate section for storage/hide equipment/or to house an outlet source away from direct water splashing to connect all of my electronics. This stand must also be able to house a 55G sump (48" x 13" x 21") and I would like to not be cramp while working in it. I plan to cut a section out of the back plywood panel that is at least 13", that way the plumbing can come to and from the sump with ease, and I can get ventilation. I would also like to have a canopy that has openings with handles that I can open and close. I plan to house at least a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water to connect to an ATS that I already have. I will paint the stand and canopy matte black, or something of the sort.

I know I am not offering much in the way of ease here, but I am not much of a carpenter. However, if I can get pointed in the right direction I will be able to get it done. I have basic knowledge of tools and how to use them.

As far as particulars go, you can see that I have a Synergy overflow box which wide opens gets around 2500 GPH, roughly 17x my tank's total volume. I need to cut some old pumping out because I am going to redo it and make it cleaner when I move. I use the bean overflow system in my overflow, for those who do not know I will post a link to a video explaining what exactly that is.

Finally got my return pump out and it is a Eheim Compact+ 5000 Pump. Honestly do not remember why I went with this pump, I think it is mainly due to at the time I believed in Eheim products religiously. My heater is also a 200W Eheim Jager.

As far as water flow in the tank, I went with a Comline Wavebox 6208. I liked the idea of one even flow of water, however I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried if somehow this contraption could end up breaking my tank....

I'm also going to go with 3 coral moonbox LED+. My tank's depth is actually lower than a lot of Nano tank's depth. If I keep them more centered, I believe we will do just fine, with areas pof low light being to the outside. Might be fine all the way around honestly. I want to invest in a PAR meter anyhow.

My salt of choice is E.S.V. B-ionic seawater. Link posted below for anyone interested.
I test my salinity via MA887 DIGITAL SEAWATER REFRACTOMETER - MILWAUKEE

https://www.marinedepot.com/E.S.V._...ef_Salt_Mix-E.S.V.-EV4113-FISM-EV4113-vi.html

I have quite a bit to do, and I still need to research some of this stuff. I haven't even decided on a skimmer. I want efficiency, over brand name when possible. Unless brand name offers the go to deal or product. So, any suggestions are welcome! I can't thank everyone enough who has helped me. I hope you'll be more than willing to continue to do so. Also, I managed to find some original pictures, I will post them below as well. I'm not sure if I have left anything out, although I just remembered to ask if anyone knows if there is a specific test kit used for E.S.V. or can I go with the API kit? Anyway, I hope I haven't discombobulated anyone, because figuring out how to tackle all of this has discombobulated me, haha.

IMG_2068.jpg IMG_2069.jpg

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good start @K-Philly. Have fun cleaning next week, LOL!
I am OVER JOYED! Let me tell you! Haha, if anything I had a moral value of mine reinforced by this mess of a tank. Like a lot of us Southerners like to say "Don't start if you aint gonna finish!"

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After hours and hours of playing with different 3D designers, I am calling it quits. Google Sketchup was perfect for me, except it continues to crash... I will have to do the best that I can to explain my build through pictures and details. I honestly can't wait any longer and I am ready to get my ideas out there so I can begin addressing current problems, and finding new ideas from others!

I guess by starting off I can send pictures of what I am already working with. Please, do not be alarmed. No aquatic life has been housed in this aquarium, and nor do I intend to house anything in it currently. It's basically a sleeping giant as of the moment. I move to a new apartment in July, and I am hoping to have a plan together and all of my equipment sourced out to be ready to go on the day I make my move. That way I can get everything up and cycling on the first day when I move in. I plan to begin cleaning and packing things up over spring break, which is next week. So, things are moving pretty quickly and I want to be as proactive as I can. Anyway, here are the pictures of my current situation.

72"L x 18"W x 17"H

The first problem that I would like to address is the stand. It was a DIY project by my Stepfather and I, and just see so many problems. One problem being possible over-engineering, or just lack of coordination when putting it together. Also, it is a very tight fit and hard to work around in. Not to mention that we did not even use sanded plywood.... oh, and do not let me forget that money was wasted on buying all the wood treated. It went about expected for someone's first DIY stand build. I can say this though, she has held!

I want to create a new stand, and I am willing to salvage anything from the old one if need be. The old stand is comprised of entirely 2x4. Everything being screwed in. I have researched and researched, and I think I have finally found a design that I am willing to go with, I will post a picture of it below.

Stand Design.jpg

This design or a variation of it seems to be floating all across the internet. I like it because it is simple. Here's how I envision it going for my build.

I would like to have the plywood fitted, to where there are no gaps. I also have no experience with glue or pilot hole drilling. From my understanding this build may require that. I would also like to have doors, that aren't as sketchy as these ones currently on it. If possible I would like to implicate a separate section for storage/hide equipment/or to house an outlet source away from direct water splashing to connect all of my electronics. This stand must also be able to house a 55G sump (48" x 13" x 21") and I would like to not be cramp while working in it. I plan to cut a section out of the back plywood panel that is at least 13", that way the plumbing can come to and from the sump with ease, and I can get ventilation. I would also like to have a canopy that has openings with handles that I can open and close. I plan to house at least a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water to connect to an ATS that I already have. I will paint the stand and canopy matte black, or something of the sort.

I know I am not offering much in the way of ease here, but I am not much of a carpenter. However, if I can get pointed in the right direction I will be able to get it done. I have basic knowledge of tools and how to use them.

As far as particulars go, you can see that I have a Synergy overflow box which wide opens gets around 2500 GPH, roughly 17x my tank's total volume. I need to cut some old pumping out because I am going to redo it and make it cleaner when I move. I use the bean overflow system in my overflow, for those who do not know I will post a link to a video explaining what exactly that is.

Finally got my return pump out and it is a Eheim Compact+ 5000 Pump. Honestly do not remember why I went with this pump, I think it is mainly due to at the time I believed in Eheim products religiously. My heater is also a 200W Eheim Jager.

As far as water flow in the tank, I went with a Comline Wavebox 6208. I liked the idea of one even flow of water, however I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried if somehow this contraption could end up breaking my tank....

I'm also going to go with 3 coral moonbox LED+. My tank's depth is actually lower than a lot of Nano tank's depth. If I keep them more centered, I believe we will do just fine, with areas pof low light being to the outside. Might be fine all the way around honestly. I want to invest in a PAR meter anyhow.

My salt of choice is E.S.V. B-ionic seawater. Link posted below for anyone interested.

https://www.marinedepot.com/E.S.V._...ef_Salt_Mix-E.S.V.-EV4113-FISM-EV4113-vi.html

I have quite a bit to do, and I still need to research some of this stuff. I haven't even decided on a skimmer. I want efficiency, over brand name when possible. Unless brand name offers the go to deal or product. So, any suggestions are welcome! I can't thank everyone enough who has helped me. I hope you'll be more than willing to continue to do so. Also, I managed to find some original pictures, I will post them below as well. I'm not sure if I have left anything out, although I just remembered to ask if anyone knows if there is a specific test kit used for E.S.V. or can I go with the API kit? Anyway, I hope I haven't discombobulated anyone, because figuring out how to tackle all of this has discombobulated me, haha.

Seeet build!
Friends don’t let friends use API test kits. Try salifert, Red Sea, even Nyos.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

72"L x 18"W x 17"H

Stand Design.jpg

@K-Philly - looking good so far and am excited for you!
One quick question; are the top braces you used 2x6 or 2x4? I ask because in the build description you list them as being 2x6 but in the pics they look like 2x4.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeet build!
Friends don’t let friends use API test kits. Try salifert, Red Sea, even Nyos.
Huge fan of subtle honesty, actually, of any honesty. Thank you for those recommendations. I used API as a general guideline, because I was very unsure if there may have been one specially developed for a 2 part dosing salt, such as E.S.V.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@K-Philly - looking good so far and am excited for you!
One quick question; are the top braces you used 2x6 or 2x4? I ask because in the build description you list them as being 2x6 but in the pics they look like 2x4.
I apologize for the confusion! My original build, was completely out of 2x4. It's held fine, as you can see. However, we hit a complication with getting the sump in, obviously because it's humongous. Which is why I love it, so much more room for space to upgrade and all that extra water volume to help keep those parameters balanced! But that pesky middle brace that ran from top to bottom got in the way and we had to saw it out. I want to incorporate 2x6 in the new build, from the picture of the plan I posted early in the thread. Through research, I have come to the solution by going to that size on the top, I can eliminate the need for that pesky middle brace. Allowing me to move more freely. I am quite certain that I can go with 2x4 on the bottom, because it can distribute the weight to the floor, and would probably be just fine. If I am being honest with you though, I only went with 2x6 on the bottom out of pure laziness. I was tired of running numbers in my head when I finally found what I wanted that I did not want to through a different nominal or actual size in the equation, thus throwing my stand height off. Hey, I never said I was a good carpenter. I'm going to school to be a Vet! ;Happy

ibryson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is a little different design but I didnt use any pilot holes in mine. I did use basic wood glue for each place that two boards touched though. I'm sure pilot holes serve their purpose but I dont think they would be necessary if you are trying to keep it simple. I also wrapped mine in 3/4 plywood.

Whats your plan with the sump? Filter socks -> protein skimmer -> return? Or are you incorporating a refugium in there?

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is a little different design but I didnt use any pilot holes in mine. I did use basic wood glue for each place that two boards touched though. I'm sure pilot holes serve their purpose but I dont think they would be necessary if you are trying to keep it simple. I also wrapped mine in 3/4 plywood.

Whats your plan with the sump? Filter socks -> protein skimmer -> return? Or are you incorporating a refugium in there?
I am completely new to the world of wood glue, which further increases my anxiety. Haha, but you almost nailed it on the sump.

So by looking at the picture from left to right this is how I envisioned it. The first chamber is where the water enters, and where my skimmer will be housed. I designed it to where there is more wiggle room to upgrade skimmers. When starting off I was going to use filter bags that I have purchased to fashion to the drain piping with either zip ties or something of the sort. I would more than likely put Purigen in it, because eventually I will run carbon via reactor. Then water flows through our bubble trap, into the second chamber. Here is where our refugium is, and it's quite large. I plan to get a cheap light here, to alternate the DT lighting to help stabilize pH. I will grow pods and beneficial algae here for either biological filtration or feeding. Then we enter the next chamber, and there is no bubble trap here. I don't mind if pods or algae escape here. I am sure some intuitive critter will take advantage of the opportunity to capture more food. If not, especially with pods, they will go out and benefit the tank. The last chamber is the return, and it is also somewhat spacey. Room for upgrades, and maybe other equipment if I needed to put them there.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note for all still interested, or those passing by, I need to eliminate some vibration as well. I am looking for a discrete but also water-proof padding, to plank under my DT and Sump. My Comline Wavebox made a decent amount of noise, but however it may not have been fully broken-in. Any suggestions?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like off and running to a great start. Keep the pix going. Want to see how the finished stand looks. Only thing I was think was if the 25” height will leave the tank a bit low, unless I misread it.

That first tank you showed looked like one of my tanks I had in the first part of the 90’s. ;Woot

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like off and running to a great start. Keep the pix going. Want to see how the finished stand looks. Only thing I was think was if the 25” height will leave the tank a bit low, unless I misread it.

That first tank you showed looked like one of my tanks I had in the first part of the 90’s. ;Woot
Yup, and I have a wonderful feeling that I am going to be paying for it next week on spring break.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, in regards to height, I posted nominal measurements. A 2x6 is actually (1 1/2"x5 1/2") and I will more than likely do 3/4" plywood on top. So here's our equation for the height ( 5.5*2 + 25 + .75 = 36.75) so roughly 3ft tall.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about cleaning tonight. I have made the decision to return to business as usual tomorrow, since it looks like I am making an efficient recovery from "walking" pneumonia. Unfortunately, I slept in until 2:00 pm yesterday afternoon because I am just tired from battling sickness and the medication I was taking made me drowsy. So, I decided to spend the night cleaning up since I know I won't be able to sleep.

I was going to start cleaning some of the tank. Unfortunately, I forgot my water to vinegar ratio. Is it 1:1? Also I forgot if I am okay to use tap water. I am pretty sure chlorine evaporates as it dries. I don't want to somehow leave trace elements that can get in the tank by not using the appropriate water. Is white vinegar okay to use as well? I had just planned to soak everything like rocks and equipment. Then I have an empty spray bottle that I was going to use for the glass. I just wanted to go ahead and get a head start on things. Some things I can get packed up, and put away while I wait to move. Also, any advice on how to efficiently remove sand from a tank? I was thinking about cleaning it, because if I go back and buy more I will just have to go through the cleaning process again. Thank you all for your help!

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2pzg1g2.jpg

I am thinking about this design now. Seems like it would be sturdy, and I could still get my sump in, along with equipment.

This stand is in serious need of beefing up... Right now you have a lot of the weight being supported by screws. I would put some 2x4s in the corners vertically between the top horizontal 2x4 and the bottom horizontal 2x4. A lot of a tank's weight is concentrated around the edges of the tank, and while your vertical 2x4s do go from the ground up to the full height of the stand, you have no "tank to ground" support unless your tank is a true flat bottom tank (which it doesn't look like it is...)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back