Finally, my build thread...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into a new problem, in regards to building a new sump. My tank sits flush with my stand, which is a width of 18 1/8". The 40G breeder is 18 1/4", and so I am literally short another 1/8". I should have planned for that! I can probably scoot the sump back by an 1/8" and cut my plywood accordingly so that 1/8" has something to sit on. Even if it doesn't make that much of a difference. However, that eliminates any chance of having a back on it...

*Edit*

@RobW Since you are building along with me, I was wondering what your opinions are on the solution I have found for creating more space for a 40G sump.

I was thinking about building a face frame to put on the front of the stand. Wouldn't need to be to terribly thick. This would hopefully bring the front out far enough for the sump to sit under the stand and not stick out of the back. Thus allowing me to put a back on. I plan to trim the edges anyhow, and that will cover anything that I don't want seen.

Also, I was thinking about putting an entire back on the stand. I could then saw out holes and install bulkheads for the pipes to transfer water to and from the tank.

As far as ventilation the tank, I am willing to bet that I can drill out 5" holes in higher sides of my stand, and directly install these vent covers over those holes. Two on each side will suffice. I would imagine. I would be sure to leave a slight opening on the back in order to ensure that I can I reach an outlet to get power.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VENTS-5-in-Decorative-Round-Vent-Cover-2-Pack-MV-125-BVs/301359989

You planning on using fans too to help with ventilation?

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You planning on using fans too to help with ventilation?

Thought about it for the canopy, normally I don’t have problems with temp due to the fact that my room stays closer to lower 70s. Since I live with other people, I never really adjust the main air unit, I heat and cool my room with a small box fan or a single heater unit. If anything, the tank would need to stay warmer, than me having to try and chill it.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about it for the canopy, normally I don’t have problems with temp due to the fact that my room stays closer to lower 70s. Since I live with other people, I never really adjust the main air unit, I heat and cool my room with a small box fan or a single heater unit. If anything, the tank would need to stay warmer, than me having to try and chill it.

Cool. I was thinking of it more for the condensation. And then there is the "cool" factor of getting multi-color led fans!

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I was thinking of it more for the condensation. And then there is the "cool" factor of getting multi-color led fans!

I didn’t even think about the condensation factor. Never had trouble with it before! Those fans sound pretty cool! Happen to know what they usually run? I was eventually gonna get around to probably putting some kind of LED light strips inside that could run off a trigger.

A lot of this is also gonna depend on if I can figure out if bulkheads can be use on plywood. I know I could just cut holes to fit for the pipe, but I feel like those bulkheads make the stand look so much more sleeker.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even think about the condensation factor. Never had trouble with it before! Those fans sound pretty cool! Happen to know what they usually run? I was eventually gonna get around to probably putting some kind of LED light strips inside that could run off a trigger.

A lot of this is also gonna depend on if I can figure out if bulkheads can be use on plywood. I know I could just cut holes to fit for the pipe, but I feel like those bulkheads make the stand look so much more sleeker.

I can confirm that bulkheads can be used on plywood as I have used them on plywood tanks I have built.

I'll try to remember to find those "cool factor" fans.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that bulkheads can be used on plywood as I have used them on plywood tanks I have built.

I'll try to remember to find those "cool factor" fans.

That’d be great and thanks for letting me know! Is there a certain way I need to go about the bulkheads in plywood? Certain thickness, sealing them, tightness, etc? Also correct me if I’m wrong but the seal on plywood doesn’t work well if gasket is over paint, and that’s even with glass.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’d be great and thanks for letting me know! Is there a certain way I need to go about the bulkheads in plywood? Certain thickness, sealing them, tightness, etc? Also correct me if I’m wrong but the seal on plywood doesn’t work well if gasket is over paint, and that’s even with glass.

I never had any issues using standard o-ring seals with bulkheads on plywood. However, I placed an o-ring on both the inside and outside of the bulkhead. Also, I would tighten the nut as much as I possibly could without breaking the bulkhead.

As for the colored fans, here is a link that has a number of different ones from different manufacturers. This gives a pretty good look at different styles and pricing.

https://m.newegg.com/productlist?keyword=120mm led fan

Last edited:

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into a new problem, in regards to building a new sump. My tank sits flush with my stand, which is a width of 18 1/8". The 40G breeder is 18 1/4", and so I am literally short another 1/8". I should have planned for that! I can probably scoot the sump back by an 1/8" and cut my plywood accordingly so that 1/8" has something to sit on. Even if it doesn't make that much of a difference. However, that eliminates any chance of having a back on it...

*Edit*

@RobW Since you are building along with me, I was wondering what your opinions are on the solution I have found for creating more space for a 40G sump.

I was thinking about building a face frame to put on the front of the stand. Wouldn't need to be to terribly thick. This would hopefully bring the front out far enough for the sump to sit under the stand and not stick out of the back. Thus allowing me to put a back on. I plan to trim the edges anyhow, and that will cover anything that I don't want seen.

Also, I was thinking about putting an entire back on the stand. I could then saw out holes and install bulkheads for the pipes to transfer water to and from the tank.

As far as ventilation the tank, I am willing to bet that I can drill out 5" holes in higher sides of my stand, and directly install these vent covers over those holes. Two on each side will suffice. I would imagine. I would be sure to leave a slight opening on the back in order to ensure that I can I reach an outlet to get power.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VENTS-5-in-Decorative-Round-Vent-Cover-2-Pack-MV-125-BVs/301359989
Yeah, that could work. Use some 3/4" poplar or something. That way you end up with a nice smooth finish board for trim. You could use radiata pine, oak, etc. Poplar paints nice.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any issues using standard o-ring seals with bulkheads on plywood. However, I placed an o-ring on both the inside and outside of the bulkhead. Also, I would tighten the nut as much as I possibly could without breaking the bulkhead.

As for the colored fans, here is a link that has a number of different ones from different manufacturers. This gives a pretty good look at different styles and pricing.

https://m.newegg.com/productlist?keyword=120mm led fan
Now the Bulkheads that we are talking about, are these the regular bulkheads for aquariums or do you know of others that would suited for a better install?

Also, those fans are sick! I'm assuming you just cut out squares and fit them in? These puppies run pretty quite?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the Bulkheads that we are talking about, are these the regular bulkheads for aquariums or do you know of others that would suited for a better install?

Also, those fans are sick! I'm assuming you just cut out squares and fit them in? These puppies run pretty quite?

Yes, regular bulkheads for aquariums.

With the fans, there are a number of ways you can go about it. I've done square cuts and round cuts too. Then routed the edges to give a nice apearance. As for the noise, I believe some of them have noise ratings but that is something I would recommend you research. Typically, though, they are all pretty quiet.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laying down for bed this evening, and just got to wondering what everyone might be up to, haha. I’ve been away for a little bit because I needed to do some vigorous studying for a Microbiology exam. I also had to register for classes. Last but not least I’ve been following our boys who made it to the final 4 for the first time in school history! War Eagle! I haven’t had time to further the stand, maybe this weekend! I have to work the open house at our Vet school Saturday and later that evening is the game, it could possibly be the end of the semester before I get a chance to wrap some things up unfortunately.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7d6b947ab9f4bf30bdb0c7ae5dfe8cac.jpg
1c292e7ba2f265f1a15c87eec132164e.jpg

Went ahead and cleaned some things. It’s definitely a start! Got some other stuff soaking as well. Used vinegar and water of course. Contemplating just dumping the sand, and starting fresh.
Nice build thus far. Did you end up ditching that sand?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back