Finally, my build thread...

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use kilz oil based primer first. It penetrates the wood and seals it. Then you can paint whatever you like over that. I'm finishing mine with epoxy inside.

I agree with the primer.

I actually caulk waterproof and paintable. Last time I use marine paint for boats and is is unbelievably watertight.

39090145_10216507389580039_2309325738064478208_n-2.jpg

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to run a back on your aquarium?
As in... on the stand? My aquarium will sit in a corner in an area between my kitchen and family room. There will be 2 panels that are viewable. Those will be starphire glass. The back and one end are against walls so the backs of those pieces of glass will be painted a very dark blue.

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in... on the stand? My aquarium will sit in a corner in an area between my kitchen and family room. There will be 2 panels that are viewable. Those will be starphire glass. The back and one end are against walls so the backs of those pieces of glass will be painted a very dark blue.
That starphire glass is something to something to see! I know your tank ain't set up yet, but do you happen to know of any tanks online that have the color that you plan to use? Also, I had planned to try and install some kind of fold-in and fold-out wheels on the bottom of my stand. That way when the system is broken down. I can fold the wheels out from under it and just roll it.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That starphire glass is something to something to see! I know your tank ain't set up yet, but do you happen to know of any tanks online that have the color that you plan to use? Also, I had planned to try and install some kind of fold-in and fold-out wheels on the bottom of my stand. That way when the system is broken down. I can fold the wheels out from under it and just roll it.

No tank online for me. A buddy of mine owns a glass shop. He is making all the glass panels and euro brace pieces for me. I am building the actual tank myself. And actually doing it for about a 1/3 of the price everyone wants for the tank. Everywhere I look they want between 3 and 4 grand for that tank. I'm getting all the glass in 5/8" thick for around 1200.00. He has built a few aquariums for himself so he is going to come over and help me get the panels all together.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your wheels for your stand... check out rockler.com I think it is. They sell woodworking products. They have these casters for workbenches and large table saws that mount to your equipment. Then you just step on the pedal and it lowers the caster and lifts whatever it is bolted to.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting to paint the outside as well as the inside of the stand with this or just strictly the inside?
All of it. Put on a coat. Let it dry a good day or two. Sand it with 180-220 grit paper and then paint it. You may want to do it outside. Gr he fumes from the oil based kilz can get strong. They make it in a spray can but I prefer to just brush or roll it on. It penetrates the wood and is also a stain blocker. It will give you a much better finish to your paint.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, okay! Is this where the “glassy” look comes from?

Sort of. Depends on what you put for a finish. Spraying the cabinet with either a quality airless sprayer or with an air compressor with an hvlp gun and a lot of prep will give you the ultimate in finish. You can get a nice finish with a brush, the right paint and some techniques. To give you an idea of what the outside finish will look like... here are a few pictures of my master closet that I built and sprayed with Benjamin Moore waterborne-alkyd. Our aquarium wall unit will be the same finish as that.

20180905_193511.jpg

20180916_195142.jpg

20180822_154355.jpg

20180714_171655.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand! How were their temperaments? Did they seem very territorial?

No, they did very well together. I was running several tanks at the time and a friend wanted to purchase the entire system including the livestock, and off they went. :)

OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K-Philly

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into a new problem, in regards to building a new sump. My tank sits flush with my stand, which is a width of 18 1/8". The 40G breeder is 18 1/4", and so I am literally short another 1/8". I should have planned for that! I can probably scoot the sump back by an 1/8" and cut my plywood accordingly so that 1/8" has something to sit on. Even if it doesn't make that much of a difference. However, that eliminates any chance of having a back on it...

*Edit*

@RobW Since you are building along with me, I was wondering what your opinions are on the solution I have found for creating more space for a 40G sump.

I was thinking about building a face frame to put on the front of the stand. Wouldn't need to be to terribly thick. This would hopefully bring the front out far enough for the sump to sit under the stand and not stick out of the back. Thus allowing me to put a back on. I plan to trim the edges anyhow, and that will cover anything that I don't want seen.

Also, I was thinking about putting an entire back on the stand. I could then saw out holes and install bulkheads for the pipes to transfer water to and from the tank.

As far as ventilation the tank, I am willing to bet that I can drill out 5" holes in higher sides of my stand, and directly install these vent covers over those holes. Two on each side will suffice. I would imagine. I would be sure to leave a slight opening on the back in order to ensure that I can I reach an outlet to get power.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VENTS-5-in-Decorative-Round-Vent-Cover-2-Pack-MV-125-BVs/301359989

Last edited:

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Captain Quint I think I am gonna go with this color to seal the inside of the tank with! I thought that it would be pretty neat! Gonna shop around and see if I can find some better prices though. I am gonna caulk the inside of the stand as well. Once I get my panels together!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duralux-Marine-Paint-1-qt-Cruiser-Blue-Marine-Enamel-M737-4/205116840

I know you will really be impressed by it. Salt does NOT phase it. :)

I like your color selection too. I got the green to somewhat compliment my emerald sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back