Finding Dory - Blue Tang Problems

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't being sarcastic when I said good points... also it Would be better served in the beginners reef section, where's the contradiction? Nevermind I don't want to detract any more from the OP.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think to post it in the beginners section, would've made more sense there as that was the crowd I was aiming for I apologize:)

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing in the video I didn't agree with was the price of a 120. My 120 cost me $245 at That Pet Place, and $8 for the drill bit to drill it (couldn't justify $600 for the RR version of exact tank).

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing in the video I didn't agree with was the price of a 120. My 120 cost me $245 at That Pet Place, and $8 for the drill bit to drill it (couldn't justify $600 for the RR version of exact tank).

that's awesome! for some reason the stores I frequent here have even the non-drilled ones going for $6-800 :(

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the drill bit for? Being able to drill a glass tank is not a specialty of 99% reefers out there. I have only seen a few reefers drill their own tanks and I know a lot of reefers...Most people just buy reef/fish tanks...And the price is "DEPENDING on your like"; However, the tank is not the big percentage of cost in this hobby. Coming from fresh water hobby with almost zero dollars in monthly maintenance, I was a bit skeptical about the monthly cost of this hobby..... :); She might sounds exaggerating on the cost of the tank, but if the new comer happen to have seen 1 of our reefs, they won't be spending 1K on the new home for Dory....

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some positives from this, it may get some people into the freshwater hobby and a very small number of those will try salt at sometime. Of the people in the hobby I know, most if not all, came from freshwater. Including me.

I've been reefing since 1993 and never looked back.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some positives from this, it may get some people into the freshwater hobby and a very small number of those will try salt at sometime. Of the people in the hobby I know, most if not all, came from freshwater. Including me.

I've been reefing since 1993 and never looked back.

I started with fresh as well and once I mastered that moved to salt tanks. very true though! there's portion (hopefully a small one) of people who try to impulse buy saltwater tanks due to the movie though. At my store people have been coming in, trying to purchase a tiny tank for the sole purpose of getting a "dory" or "nemo". It's so agitating:(

darrenbot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find blue tangs get ich and recover easily. They are tough fish too. The only problem is that they grow so fast...I used to have 1 and man that guy was a pig... :)
over feeding? they do like to it, and they need to swim

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bring this thread back for a minute just because I'm getting a growing amount of hate on the video because people think either what i'm saying is straight up wrong or I'm trying to scare people out of buying a blue tang, so let me just get something straight here.

this video is not for expert aquarist! Any credible source will clearly state that Blue Tangs are for EXPERT aquarist only due to their inability to handle stress well and their need for excellent water quality and large amount of space and attention. This video is not for people who already are prepared and know how to do all that. this video is for people who saw the movie finding dory, are not knowledgable about fish, and think because dory is cute they are gonna go run to the store and buy a blue tang. If you already are knowledgable about the reef hobby and how to care for tangs and surgeonfish appropriately, this video is NOT DIRECTED TOWARDS YOU.

it is for those families and moviegoers who saw finding dory, liked the way she looks, and now wants to see her swim around in their home. i've had people come into my store wanting to put a "dory" in a bowl!!! this is who that video is for!!!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe the video serves its purpose:
Raising awareness of Non Reefers that they shouldn't go for a "dori" just because it's cute in the video.
Hope many LFS owners use it or similar videos.
Thanks for sharing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back