Finding Dory - Blue Tang Problems

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo I'm sure this thread has been made a million times but the other day at my job an elderly lady called me and asked if we sold dory fish for her grandson. I explained that we did but that I wouldn't be selling them for the next week due to the movie. She wanted more specifics about the blue tangs we sell and when I said how large they get she asked if we sell any that stay the size of a QUARTER. This lady obviously is out browsing for a blue tang but knows nothing about what she's getting herself into. Anyways! I made a video about blue tangs and tried to explain things like I was talking to a 5 year old.

I'm sure most people on here know about the blue tang but just in case any beginner aquarist are strolling around for a blue tang I highly recommend you look into what exactly you're thinking of getting, and hopefully choose something else haha

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing! :)

PNuke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! I would also like to add for people that may wonder in to this looking for info about "Dory" is that you will also need a second tank to quarantine new fish. When I first started I made the rookie mistake of putting a Blue Tang in a 50 gallon tank. LFS told me it would be fine and that because it was aquacultured it didn't need a large tank (BS). Poor guy got ich in a week and went right back to the store. They actually just put it back in their system as is.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find blue tangs get ich and recover easily. They are tough fish too. The only problem is that they grow so fast...I used to have 1 and man that guy was a pig... :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be great to get Ellen to put out a short video on reasons not to go out and buy a "Dory." I'm willing to bet she'd do it! Who has connections to folks like Ellen.

SnoQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A company called Exotic Aquatics Inc in Illinois posted an Instagram ad with Clownfish and Blue Tang packages. The Clownfish package comes with a 6 gallon tank and the Blue Tang package comes with, get this, a 30 gallon tank. They were getting blasted so much they took their Instagram ad down but people are leaving feedback on Instragram and Facebook (where they delete it) and Yelp (where they can't).

https://www.yelp.com/biz/exotic-aquatics-lake-in-the-hills-3?hrid=RTVCtU5umZH7jicu_S-c0w

ExoticAquaticsInc.JPG

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo I'm sure this thread has been made a million times but the other day at my job an elderly lady called me and asked if we sold dory fish for her grandson. I explained that we did but that I wouldn't be selling them for the next week due to the movie. She wanted more specifics about the blue tangs we sell and when I said how large they get she asked if we sell any that stay the size of a QUARTER. This lady obviously is out browsing for a blue tang but knows nothing about what she's getting herself into. Anyways! I made a video about blue tangs and tried to explain things like I was talking to a 5 year old.

I'm sure most people on here know about the blue tang but just in case any beginner aquarist are strolling around for a blue tang I highly recommend you look into what exactly you're thinking of getting, and hopefully choose something else haha

I had a blue tang, beautiful fish had ick on and off all the time, grow very big, then one day i found him on the floor dead, broke my heart, I still do not know how he jumped out

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What really bugs me about the thread is that the grandma asked for a fish the size of a QUARTER. A QUARTER! Does anyone know a fish that stays the size of a quarter?

image.png

Based on this "business" owner's post.. I would not be buying from them, even if they properly took care, and advertise the fish's needs. Anyone who runs a business should know how to spell and be more professional about things.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on this "business" owner's post.. I would not be buying from them, even if they properly took care, and advertise the fish's needs. Anyone who runs a business should know how to spell and be more professional about things.
I agree, ethics aside I can't get past the improper use of their

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I push the envelope with fish. Both on numbers per tank and sometimes the size of a fish. I do however have this wonderful place and plenty of tanks and equipment to right a mistake with as little damage possible. Do I think no one should own a Dory as their first salt fish? No. My first saltwater fish was a nickel size regal tang that came with a preowned 55 setup I purchased. I adored that fish. That fish then got a 120 as it grew and finally when I went off to college and knew there was no way I could take care of the larger fish I rehomed them. Do I think some parent who has never kept fish should go out and buy them solely to please a 5 year old that can't possibly care for the fish? Absolutely not! That is bad pet ownership and bad parenting. I will end this rant by mentioning I currently have 3 regal tangs in my 100 gal fish "thunderdome" and I love them all.

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! I would also like to add for people that may wonder in to this looking for info about "Dory" is that you will also need a second tank to quarantine new fish. When I first started I made the rookie mistake of putting a Blue Tang in a 50 gallon tank. LFS told me it would be fine and that because it was aquacultured it didn't need a large tank (BS). Poor guy got ich in a week and went right back to the store. They actually just put it back in their system as is.
I plan on making a second video about the basics of saltwater keeping and I'll include the QT tank info!! People seem to think they can avoid doing that and it's way too risky

Anthony kolodziej

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my fish and my reef tank and I do everything I can to make it right for them . I am considering starting up a 210 gallon tank I have sitting around letting it cycle and using it for only Regal tangs . I have been reading up about these fish extensively and I am not done yet . My goal in the end is to get the fish to spawn and hopefully keep the larva alive to post larval stage . I am a long ways off from taking on this project . And I am posting this here to maybe get some info . never mind finding a male . again I am months even a year off from doing this . if some of you out there are ready , have the knowledge , experience and time and money to do this I encourage you . There are plenty of fish we can breed in tanks , lets make it so more can be . Sustain this hobby spread knowledge about our hobby and hope it helps keep our oceans healthy

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in Petco today getting some cat food and walked by the fish department for S&G and they have marked on all of their saltwater tanks all sorts of warnings that salt water fish are not for beginners and that "Dory" grows to 12" long with a diagram of a ruler. And that she needs a large tank, although they said at least a 75 gal. I wanted to correct them but no one was around to talk to. I was surprised that they took the initiative to forewarn people about marine fish and their higher needs to live.

Back