Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, drip loops next time around.
PXL_20210919_014224650.jpg
PXL_20210919_021018437.jpg
An update hopefully everything will be better this time around. I will be placing some type of catch pan over the box just in case.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to spend an extra $20 and install a smoke detector and a leak sensor (the ones they use for water heaters) and place them next to the tank. I have both in my sump area. Glad you walked away with just little damage!
They make some wifi water detectors that work well. I never really thought about the smoke detector specifically for the area but that's not a bad idea. I'll do that one too. I have a water detector by the sump and the rodi but no smoke detector.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you may want to spend an extra $20 and install a smoke detector and a leak sensor (the ones they use for water heaters) and place them next to the tank. I have both in my sump area. Glad you walked away with just little damage!
Better yet, if you are not signed on to a security and fire service, mine is wireless for $240 a year. If you are traveling, that is really the best thing for piece of mind. I am considering getting the Aqua Aqua Smart Security $60 for my ATO. This will shutoff the Tunze 3155 if it fails to cutoff since I will have a much bigger reservoir than normal which the tank could not handle. They also sell other cutoff equipment.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better yet, if you are not signed on to a security and fire service, mine is wireless for $240 a year. If you are traveling, that is really the best thing for piece of mind. I am considering getting the Aqua Aqua Smart Security $60 for my ATO. This will shutoff the Tunze 3155 if it fails to cutoff since I will have a much bigger reservoir than normal which the tank could not handle. They also sell other cutoff equipment.

Not sure if this will work long term but I decided on an ATO container and a reserve container. I use the reserve tank to fill up the first container. That way, if there’s a failure the worst thing that can happen is a bit of fresh water on the floor (basement concrete). I use a wifi outlet to control (manually turn it on) the pump the fills between container 2 and 1. It’s not foolproof but it’s something.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will work long term but I decided on an ATO container and a reserve container. I use the reserve tank to fill up the first container. That way, if there’s a failure the worst thing that can happen is a bit of fresh water on the floor (basement concrete). I use a wifi outlet to control (manually turn it on) the pump the fills between container 2 and 1. It’s not foolproof but it’s something.
Interesting idea particularly if you need a lot more water. How do you monitor how much to fill it up?

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea particularly if you need a lot more water. How do you monitor how much to fill it up?
Wifi camera. Did a trial run when I went on vacation this week. Worked fine. Will do a larger secondary container next but I can’t find any clear ones. Was thinking of just making a bobbing float to tell me level of water in secondary or just keep track of it.

Attachments

• 06494EC7-28FE-4C6B-BEF7-959255916831.png
    06494EC7-28FE-4C6B-BEF7-959255916831.png
    772.4 KB · Views: 24

DerekU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2008, I had the ballast for an old Biocube blow up. Luckily I was home when it happened, made a huge bang and was literally shooting flames out of the little plastic box it was housed in. I unplugged it and threw water on it, and luckily got it put out. Would’ve definitely burnt the house down if I wasn’t home. I’ve always heard that oceanic (this was one of the old ones) had great customer service, but they wouldn’t do anything, not even replace it and it was still under warranty.
ReefPumpkin21
Today (5/18/2022) my daughter called me in sheer terror as she heard a huge bang and saw fire come out from behind our Biocube for a few seconds. Fortunately I was able to persuade her to pull the power strip plug from the outlet. Bits of plastic ash all over the ground near the tank. A plume of smoke floating through our house. No damage to the power strip. No drip issue. Even the hood looked OK from the outside. But you can smell the burnt plastic emanating from the vent slits on top of the Biocube hood. Haven't done a post mortem yet but it sure seems like what you experienced. Yikes. It could have been catastrophic if no one was home at the time.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefPumpkin21
Today (5/18/2022) my daughter called me in sheer terror as she heard a huge bang and saw fire come out from behind our Biocube for a few seconds. Fortunately I was able to persuade her to pull the power strip plug from the outlet. Bits of plastic ash all over the ground near the tank. A plume of smoke floating through our house. No damage to the power strip. No drip issue. Even the hood looked OK from the outside. But you can smell the burnt plastic emanating from the vent slits on top of the Biocube hood. Haven't done a post mortem yet but it sure seems like what you experienced. Yikes. It could have been catastrophic if no one was home at the time.
Since this issue i grabbed an Apex El and drip looped everything and even installed a camera just in case things been running very good

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not invite Murphy over when you go on vacation, sometimes I think he is a squatter, just shows up. If you go on vacation make sure the tank is on auto pilot and not touch it for a week prior to leaving.

I am glad everything is OK. Start with a plan keep with the plan.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so there's def water on the wires that caused it. Looks like the water level got too the rim of the tank and it kept slowly dripping out because the filter in the over flow box got clogged
I don't even know why they sell those. Never use a filter in your overflow. If you want a filter, use filter socks in your sump.

A herbie or bean animal is even better, but sometimes you're limited to a durso. If you are, never use a filter and if you can get a float switch in your overflow so your aquarium controller can shut your return off when your overflow overflows, then it's well worth it. Aquarium controller plus float switch $100-800 depending on how nice you want. Flooded floor and fire $5,000-25,000. Well worth the investment.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this issue i grabbed an Apex El and drip looped everything and even installed a camera just in case things been running very good
Also pick up some float switches with mounts and a Breakout box (they make ones on etsy that I like better then Neptune's version). Get at least 3 float switches, 2 for auto top off, 1 for overflow. A 4th wouldn't hurt for sump low level to protect your return from running dry. If you check out the 65 build I have linked in my profile (not the 60 cube if you click build threa) I show how mine is setup and programmed to protect against this kind of issue.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back