Fire shrimp dying?

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up and my Fire shrimp was moving, jerking, and have his legs all curled up and pointing in weird directions.
I just used DD construction epoxy last night and used it the night before, so I drained my tank a little to prep for a watercghnage today.

Salinity 35ppm
Ph 8.3
Kh 2.30
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrite 0

Stocked with two snails, one blue legged hermit crab (all okay), 14gal.

Attachments

• VID20231231115446.mp4
    22.5 MB
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance of lack of oxygen? How’s the surface agitation? Ideally we want ammonia at zero prior to livestock addition
Hi! She passed yesterday afternoon. Ammonia was 0 before adding her, I've had her for only a few weeks. The tank was actually a little bit emptier so there was a lot of surface agitation as the filter head was just above the water. I also had a water bubbler on on 100% of the time. Everyone else in the tank seems fine but, I think it was just a bad molt but it was weird overall.

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have bubbler but do you have a skimmer? If youbuse epoxy you want the skimmer to pull out the epoxy residue or it floats around your tNk irritating the heck out of stuff. When i use it i dial my skimmer way back cuz it will make it go mad then slowly ramp it for a while until i got all the crud out and it returns to normal. If you dont have skimmer than i would suggest big water change right after using epoxy

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that was pretty abnormal. Its usually at the lower end of normal, but i dont think that could have killed it?
If there’s no spike, it’s just a bit low IMM. I keep higher so I have some room on each end.

He was fine for two weeks then gets messed up and dies quickly, and everyone else unaffected, I agree, maybe a molt gone wrong or is there anyone in your system that he could have been attacked/disagreed with?

Some believe that running iodine @ 0.06ppm constantly helps shrimps molt, perhaps leathers as well.

Sorry for your loss.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there’s no spike, it’s just a bit low IMM. I keep higher so I have some room on each end.

He was fine for two weeks then gets messed up and dies quickly, and everyone else unaffected, I agree, maybe a molt gone wrong or is there anyone in your system that he could have been attacked/disagreed with?

Some believe that running iodine @ 0.06ppm constantly helps shrimps molt, CTCperhaps leathers as well.

Sorry for your loss.
Thank you so much! It was quite upsetting as I was really getting used to her. The only other occupants are two nasarius snails and a blue legged hermit, who she stayed well away from, so im 99% sure it was a bad molt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! It was my first time using epoxy and i did a water change soon after. I dont have a skimmer but i'll prbably get one soon!
I see you have bubbler but do you have a skimmer? If youbuse epoxy you want the skimmer to pull out the epoxy residue or it floats around your tNk irritating the heck out of stuff. When i use it i dial my skimmer way back cuz it will make it go mad then slowly ramp it for a while until i got all the crud out and it returns to normal. If you dont have skimmer than i would suggest big water change right after using epoxy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it an adult? Just wondering because sometimes we have no way of knowing how old some of the creatures we get really are at the time of purchase and these shrimp only have a life span of 2.5 years to begin with. At least that is the info I found online.
Thanks! Im pretty sure she was as she was big, so mabye it was just the end of her lifespan.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back