Fire shrimp dying

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fire shrimp for about one month. He was doing fine. Last night we transferred it to a new qt aquarium because we started medicating a damsel with ParaGuard in the display aquarium. We transferred it after one dose of ParaGuard. It didn’t eat much in the morning and today when I got back home it was laying on his side completely lethargic. I think it’s dying. The new aquarium didnt cycle, but i tested amônia and nitrites and were all 0. Salinity is fine, as well as Ph. Temperature is 77. Nitrates measures 20.

any thoughts on what could have gone wrong?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How did you transfer it? Even with traces of paraguard, you have to acclimate it at transfer as if you just brought it home from store

OP
OP
Europa

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught it with a net and put it in the other aquarium. I made sure the water temperature in both tanks were the same, as well as salinity and ph. What else should I have done?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I caught it with a net and put it in the other aquarium. I made sure the water temperature in both tanks were the same, as well as salinity and ph. What else should I have done?
Floated and either drip acclimated or added a cup of water every 15 mins for an hour to equalize ph, salinity, etc.

OP
OP
Europa

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way I can save it now or once this happens there is no way back?

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pH, temp, and salinity are the same, then the main 3 reasons to acclimate are already taken care of. They will act like this if they are molting, which could take as long as a week. DO NOT TOSS IT OUT! It will look dead but it's probably just molting. Give it time and leave it be. No touching. Sometimes they molt after a stressful event like changing tanks.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the drip method been doing it for quite some time now and never lost a shrimp doing it just make sure you drip acclimate shrimp longer than fish and make sure temp is good while acclimating.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back