birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
It's the wife here. Looking for some help to keep this thing in good condition. Birdman is out serving his country, which is why y'all haven't heard from him in quite a while. I've been trying my best, but besides the aquascape architecture and water sampling, I'm flying by the seat of my pants here.

First, I'll do a quick update post, then follow it up with some questions/requests for help, so TLDR doesn't get as many people.

To catch y'all up (I had to go read back through this to see what all he'd told you):
- The suicidal anemone finally got sacrificed to the porcelain god. She never really found a good place to attach, and her foot really wasn't sticky at all, so she was constantly floating off the rock and landing upside down. She'd often drift back in to a tiny, dark corner underneath the big shelf on the right, and we'd have to gentle get her back into the light. She'd been slowly losing color and inverting her stomach out of her mouth, and after we'd had her about two months, we noticed she'd stopped actually eating, was bleaching, and there was a haze spreading through the tank water. I tried my best, but didn't learn enough in time to save her. In hindsight, I think the biggest factor was low alkalinity. We'd been sitting in the 7s range, but later learned that for anemone, 8-12 is a better range. Started dosing alkalinity towards the end, but I think she was already too far gone. I did send her on her way before she was able to wipe the tank. I'd found enough horror stories on here about dying anemones taking the whole tank system down with them when they went, and wasn't willing to let that happen.
- We've lost the four fish livestock we had, two Picasso clowns and two blue hippo tangs. The first was our bigger Picasso, who jumped out of the tank. We think it was due to not having a ground rod, and him getting shocked. Picked up a grounding rod and moved on. The two tangs went in relatively close succession. I think we rushed the quarantine period on those guys, and only about a week after introducing them to the display tank, they got something, either HLLE or ich. One was gone pretty quickly. The other, who was super shy, I was able to isolate a bit and tried to keep him going a little bit longer, but only another week and a half. The second Picasso seemed to have avoided the plague (my naiveté), until his flesh started showing the same issues as the tangs. This time I went all out, moved him to the quarantine tank, dosed with Coppersafe, and continued monitoring. A week later, found him on the floor. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time - we'd forgotten to buy a grounding rod for the QT! @(*#&$(*&@(#*&$
- Before hubby left, I did pick him up a few frags (we've been slow to add stuff to the tanks because we're trying to get a good routine with predictable stead state results before we throw a ton of money into an unstable system). I wanted them to have a chance to grow a bit while he was gone, so he'd come home to something more lively than our aquascaped tank! More on those in the follow on questions post.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife here again. Okay, so about some of those questions...
4.jpg

- We had copepods for a little while. Pretty sure the blue tangs decimated their ranks before their own demise because I didn't see any hint of them for probably a good month. Lately, though, I have a bunch of small while specs on my tank glass. They scrape off easily enough, and they don't really move around, whereas I'm used to copepods having the really jerky motions periodically. Any idea what these little white specs could be? They're pretty prolific.
6.jpg

- We seem to have an algae problem-ish. Able to keep it off the glass easily enough, but I noticed a dense, short, white algae coating the rockscape. The clean up crew (blue leg hermits, turbos, various other snails) were doing a pretty good job on the glass, but they weren't really putting a dent in the rock coating. Last week I went ahead and picked up 3 more turbos (5 total now), 2 emerald crabs, and a tuxedo urchin to try to tackle some more of the algae growth on the rocks. One of the employees at our local reef store suggested pulling the rock out and scrubbing the algae off in clean salt water, but since we siliconed our aquascape in place, there's no pulling it out without having to try something different with the scaping. The primary reason I'm concerned about the algae is it seems to coat some of the frags we have and they don't open their faces nearly as much, especially around where the algae is built up. Is it okay to brush them off or something to get it off them, or will that really hurt them?
5.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg

- These ****** lights! Okay, so the techie side of all this is definitely hubby's job. He has the Radions set up using the Ecotech Live app on his phone. Okay... simple enough. Sat through a few youtube videos, figured out the basics of the app, and was able to figure out how to lower the light settings on the display tank, which seems to really encourage the frags we have to open up their faces. Problem is, for some reason almost every hour, the lights seem to default back to what they were previously set at. I've reset the schedule with the new settings I want, created a saved, custom option with those lower light settings, but sitting in the office, it will randomly jump back to 50% brightness and within 30 min, all the corals are closed up tight. Incredibly frustrating and definitely sub-optimal for the coral growth. Any tips on Radions (or a better way to phrase my problem that Google might recognize to show me more relevant videos) would be greatly appreciated!
3.jpg

Please just help me keep this tank on the better side of alive until Birdman gets home to take back over! I already hate that the fish died and we're having to start over on that front. I'd feel terrible if I couldn't even take care of the few frags we do have for him.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Mrs B. Sorry about the fish. I would not add any for a while. Like 74 days since the last one was in. This will let the ich or whatever you had die out. I can’t help you with the lights as I don’t use Radion. Your tank is looking good, you can move the frag rack with the corals on it lower in the tank. This will effectively lower the amount of light they get. The white fuzzy stuff is possibly a bacterial bloom, or a type of algae that I can’t remember the name of. Just remember nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Make changes slowly and start off small with them. Good luck.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are able to use the app on your phone, that tells me that you have the reef link. I have personally found the app to be buggy with my G4 radions so I use ecosmartlive.com to modify my light and pumps programs. Next chance you get, ask the hubby for his ecosmartlive log in info and head over there to change and program the light intensity

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Mrs B. Sorry about the fish. I would not add any for a while. Like 74 days since the last one was in. This will let the ich or whatever you had die out. I can’t help you with the lights as I don’t use Radion. Your tank is looking good, you can move the frag rack with the corals on it lower in the tank. This will effectively lower the amount of light they get. The white fuzzy stuff is possibly a bacterial bloom, or a type of algae that I can’t remember the name of. Just remember nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. Make changes slowly and start off small with them. Good luck.
Thanks, Skynyrd. A time window (the 74 days you mentioned) was something I was definitely looking for because I would hate to introduce new livestock only to watch it suffer the same fate.

Really good advice on the "nothing good happens fast" in this hobby. Probably easier to hear and understand than actually follow, but I'll try my best. I think being stuck teleworking for the past few months and sitting next to the tank for 9+ hours a day makes it feel like so much more time has been passing and I should be seeing changes sooner, but you're spot on. This stuff takes time.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are able to use the app on your phone, that tells me that you have the reef link. I have personally found the app to be buggy with my G4 radions so I use ecosmartlive.com to modify my light and pumps programs. Next chance you get, ask the hubby for his ecosmartlive log in info and head over there to change and program the light intensity

Oh my goodness. Thank you. I'll definitely try that as soon as I can get his login. Anything is better than having to babysit the lights and reset them every hour! I've been driving myself crazy trying to keep it lower for them.

**Edited to add: IT WORKED! Thank you so much! The website was able to update the schedule and settings and get them to STICK, where as the app kept resetting back every hour or so. Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank you guys so much. I just got back from deployment and my wife has told me of all the support and help you guys gave her while I was gone. Thank you for helping her and making this a family. I will give you guys more updates in the next couple of days. I apologize for not giving more right now, I just really need to take care of the #1 in my life. We have a son that is due in August.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thank you guys so much. I just got back from deployment and my wife has told me of all the support and help you guys gave her while I was gone. Thank you for helping her and making this a family. I will give you guys more updates in the next couple of days. I apologize for not giving more right now, I just really need to take care of the #1 in my life. We have a son that is due in August.

Welcome home brother. Take all the time you need to take care of the home front, we'll still be here when you're ready to come back

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back