First build attempt. Wish me luck.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, November was a heck of a month. Ongoing complications with my leg, the wife having surgery, and finding out my four legged companion of 8 years has cancer. I'm just now getting to where i can finally put the finishing touches on this tank to start the cycle. I've missed uploading a couple photos of my aquascape, so I'll update you on that first.
20191209_185319.jpg
20191209_185328.jpg
20191209_185333.jpg
20191209_185335.jpg
20191209_185339.jpg
20191209_185346.jpg
20191209_185348.jpg
20191209_185352.jpg
20191209_185414.jpg

With all the ideas the wife and I had with the aquascape, this was the one that stood out to us the most. A semi raised reef with a solid backing. We used the STAX rock because that gave us the most freedom with the end result. On the left we have an arch that split into the back and center. On the right we have an arch that ends is almost a table. For the center we have an island with a swim through. The scape itself took 3 weeks to plan, silicone, modify and clean.

I'm mixing salt water right now. We replaced the cartridges in the RO/DI and it seems to have fixed my problems. The radeons are now attached. I believe I have everything lined up and ready to start my cycle in the next day or so. I'll probably wait about a week once water is in and settled to add my bacteria. I'm looking for any newbee advice to starting my first cycle. Thanks guys for the help.
I absolutely love what you did with the scape. I used Stax Rock in my build as well. You guys have really taken it to the next level. Following along to see how this turns out.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has been running for a few weeks. I went the route with putting a shrimp in instead of phantom feeding. My ammonia is 0.25 with nitrites & nitrates are 0. I also added Dr. Tim's bacteria. When should i start seeing a change with my parameters? I'm trying to be patient, but i do not have enough experience to be able to "read" my tank. At this stage, I sample and log, then look at what i am supposed to see. I currently do not see my ammonia rising but staying steady for about 3 weeks. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using to check? I've noticed with API kits, they tend to read the lowest positive reading. When I used Dr. Tim's, it took about 3 weeks for me to cycle

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw your thread now, and looks like it is moving along! I started my most recent build in November, so we aren’t too far apart in timeline. Mine cycled in about two weeks. I’d also recommend getting some Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride so you have a better idea how much ammonia you’re actually adding to your tank! The guideline is typically 2 ppm ammonia, but I’ve never cycled with more than 1 ppm. It likes to stall. Just need to be careful stocking.
Have you used any bacteria additives in your tank to try and help the cycle along? I’ve tried Dr. Tim’s, Instant Ocean, Fritz, and Brightwell cycling products. The Brightwell has been my favorite by far.
Additionally, I noticed you’re using an MP10wQD for mixing. I think you’d be better served using it on the tank for additional flow, and using something a bit cheaper and robust on the mixing station. I have an MP40wQD on my 65 gallon rimless and I’m already looking for additional flow.
Great choice on the lighting! I was going to use Kessil’s but also made the choice to switch given I didn’t want to use T5’s in the living room. I’ve really liked them so far, especially compared to Kessil’s and other LED’s I’ve used in the past.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopping by to get caught up.

sorry missed so much. I hope thing are well with the wife and family. So sorry about Loki. There are lots of us that talk about this and help each other. There is a few other pet threads you can search for And join in.

I actually have an Other Build Thread for my mastiff puppy on here. So it is always ok to share.

on a great note tank is looking great. Sound like you are right there. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has been running for a few weeks. I went the route with putting a shrimp in instead of phantom feeding. My ammonia is 0.25 with nitrites & nitrates are 0. I also added Dr. Tim's bacteria. When should i start seeing a change with my parameters? I'm trying to be patient, but i do not have enough experience to be able to "read" my tank. At this stage, I sample and log, then look at what i am supposed to see. I currently do not see my ammonia rising but staying steady for about 3 weeks. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
All of the test kits that i'm using are Salifert. For S.G. I'm using a Red Sea Refract and a Hannah Instruments Digital.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the shrimp dissolve already? If so I would second the comment above about the Dr Tim’s ammonium dosing. Makes it easier to measure what is happening and removing the guess work.

The truth is likely you are ready to start very slowly adding Fish bioload. API kits will always show at least .25. I’ve started a dozen tanks with Tim’s and a fish once the water was stable and up to temperature.

sorry about your buddy. This project should prove to be a pleasant distraction. Two years later I still Occasionally look over expecting to see my buddy laying in his spot. he had a good run though.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdman thank you for your service. Your tank looks great. You have a solid start with equipment that will take you any where you want with this hobby. Have you watched the BRS/WWC video on the 4 month cycle? It has a good amount of info and gives you some food for thought. I’m looking forward to seeing this tank packed with coral.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the shrimp dissolve already? If so I would second the comment above about the Dr Tim’s ammonium dosing. Makes it easier to measure what is happening and removing the guess work.

The truth is likely you are ready to start very slowly adding Fish bioload. API kits will always show at least .25. I’ve started a dozen tanks with Tim’s and a fish once the water was stable and up to temperature.

sorry about your buddy. This project should prove to be a pleasant distraction. Two years later I still Occasionally look over expecting to see my buddy laying in his spot. he had a good run though.
The shrimp hasn't dissolved just yet, i'll include a photo when I can. Thank you. I honestly couldn't believe how hard it would hit me.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdman thank you for your service. Your tank looks great. You have a solid start with equipment that will take you any where you want with this hobby. Have you watched the BRS/WWC video on the 4 month cycle? It has a good amount of info and gives you some food for thought. I’m looking forward to seeing this tank packed with coral.
I've watched so many videos, i'll have to go back and check to see if I have watched theirs.

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the first three phases of the tank cycle has completed. Currently in the 4th stage I believe. My parameters are as follows:
NH3:<0.15
NO2: 0.1
NO3: 5
I performed a 10% water change, and added some CuC and 2 Picasso Clownfish. They have been in for a few days and seem to have acclimated well.

I'm going to sample every other day and wait a week or so to see how the tank changes over that time.
20200122_180519.jpg
20200122_180523.jpg
20200122_180527.jpg

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have jumped the gun a little bit but, I am optimistic about this working out. I picked up some more clean up crew, added an anemone, and gave the tank a dose of copepods. My parameters have been stable at:
NH3: <0.15
NO2: 0.1
NO3: 10
I'm not going to add anything to the tank for 4 weeks.
If I need to, I will dose another round of copepods. My wife really wants me to get a psychedelic mandarin, who mainly feed on copepods
mandarinfish-royalty-free.jpg

Here is an image of the anemone I got.
20200125_213518.jpg

I also have a pretty newbie level question...which side is supposed to be up? If you know, please tell me so I can right it if I need to. Anyways...I appreciate you guys with all the help you have given so far. I will be adding another semi-build into this one once my QT tank gets here. I went with the Waterbox Aquariums Cube 10 Plus. I wanted just a bit more out of my QT tank since I will be putting it right by my computer monitor so that I can enjoy a little bit of ocean when I binge on youtube. Till next time guys.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anemone is indeed upside down in the photograph! What kind of anemone is it if you don’t mind me asking?

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long tip anemone. And thank you for the answer, the wife and I uprighted the anemone last night. A little bit later, he was trying to move around and got caught in the current of the tank all the way into the power head. We secured the pump and slowly got him out. Right now, we are not too sure if he will make it. However, when I came in this morning, he has moved again and opened up some, so I'm staying hopeful.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine if it wasn’t his foot that got torn up. Just give him time to heal. Those things get pretty big if I remember correctly. What spectrum are you running your lights on?

OP
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, what the heck. I swear that I have purchased the most suicidal anemone ever. After the first episode that he jumped into my pumphead, I turned my pump down to 20%. He then once again got caught in the powerhead. I have now turned my flow down to 10%, and will just wait to turn it up until he heals and is firmly planted. Have any of you experienced this before? What did you do to overcome this?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 57 25.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back