First build attempt. Wish me luck.

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
If you have the room and some experience plumbing you can make a mixing station similar to this. I got the idea from someone on here.
20190124_151013.jpg

Corals.com
OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Okay. Here is what i think will work. Based on where I'm going to be putting the tank (An Over the Top UGA fan room), and some talking with the wife. I will be taking over the middle bathroom shower of our house. That puts me about 20ft away in a straight shot from where I will be putting the mixing station and the tank. In the shower where I will be putting the mixing station, I have 37"x32" of space. I can remove the shower head and tap the RO/DI off from there, with the unit mounted on the wall. Based on the size constraints and the recommendation of being able to store a 20% water change, I'm leaning towards 2x RomoTech Horizontal Square Poly Reservoir (30 Gal). One will be for RO/DI, and the other will be for salt water. I can build a platform that makes it easier for me to work with it. The pump will be the same pump that I decided to use with my tank, so that just in case I have a pump failure, I will already have a spare. The basic design will be the same one that NPD_289 recommended that worked for him. I think that this will also help with any spills and the discharge from the RO/DI because its already draining into a normal shower drain. As always, I'm looking forward to any feedback from you guys. Y'all have been a great help so far.

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
That looks awesome, could you point out everything that goes into it?
Not a problem. Left container is RODI water where I have a float valve installed. I use the gate valve underneath it to fill a jug for my ATO. I can then open the ball valve next to the gate valve to pump water over to the right container. Once it fills, I close that ball valve and open the right one. Then I use the pump to circulate the water when I add the salt. I also have a small powerhead and heater in that container. When I need the saltwater, I shut everything off and use the right gate valve to drain the saltwater into a jug. Added a couple more pics to help you out.
20191014_133938.jpg
20191014_133917.jpg
20191014_133938.jpg

OP
birdman1989

birdman1989

View Badges
Reaction score
I just purchased another EcoTech Marine Vectra S2 and EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10 for my salt water mixing station. Along with that I chose a different water holding tank, the Norwesco Horizontal Leg Tank 35 Gal due to the space concerns in my shower along with I can go pick this up in store. I plan on getting two of the tanks and mounting them on top of each other with the RO/DI water on top, and salt water on bottom. I still need to work out a easy way to add salt to the bottom. The MP10 will be mounted in the salt water tank for circulation. For RO/DI I went with the Marine Depot KleanWater 4-Stage Advanced RO/DI System - 100GPD. Big shout out to @NPD_289 for the assistance with the freshwater station ideas. I just signed the freight and shipping consent form for the Waterbox 100.3. I'm really excited for that to be moving so smoothly. With all of that said, the only thing I need to work out and order are the salt and sampling. If you guys have any recommendations, I'm ready to receive them.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
20191015_155235.jpg

I got a shipment today. Everything showed up with the exception of my tank and protein skimmer. I have to be honest, seeing and being able to hold everything starts to shift this from a hope to a reality. Not much left until I get to set this baby up.
That pile of goodies should be under a Christmas tree...

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

What is the deciding factor(s) for why you choose the salt you use? Mulitple choice available!

• Price

Votes: 237 40.7%
  • Brand Loyality

Votes: 67 11.5%
  • Mixes Easy

Votes: 191 32.8%
  • Mixes Clean

Votes: 222 38.1%
  • Mixes to the right parameters

Votes: 354 60.7%
  • Easy to get

Votes: 173 29.7%