First clam Recommendation.

Luiz Cancino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very interested in keeping a clam but have never kept one before! Mostly looking for one I can keep on the bottom of the tank. The tank is a 45 jbj RL, and the light is a AI Prime HD. There's an area in the middle that is about 8 inches across and 8 inches front to back and about 10 inches diagonally, no rush on it so if changes need be made I can make them if needed (within reason). I also know some clams are rock boring and have rock I can move under it if need be. Heres so pictures of the spot in thinking. Obviously the corals will be moved (and excuse the algae). Any input or suggestion will be appreciated, dont be afraid to tell me to not keep on as well, if that's your genuine recommendation! Thanks!
20190314_155653.jpeg
20190314_155557.jpeg
20190314_155456.jpeg

OP
OP
Luiz Cancino

Luiz Cancino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam has been starving for some time. The mantle has lost a lot of color. Look for any new shell growth on the upper margins of the shell. Personally I'd pass on that clam.
Is it foolish to think that I can save it and it'll be okay? I do believe I see some growth rings but I'm not well versed on that type of thing. I wish I could get a picture. But thanks for your input thus far!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the hardest things in growing tridacna is finding a healthy clam to begin with. It's something that should not be bought on impulse. It's very hard due to how amazing each one looks. If you want to try then by all means. Trust me, when me and my wife see tridacna in stores we want to take them all home!

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with DSC. It’s hard enough to find a clam in good shape, let alone try and help one recover. In fact I would say the majority of clam deaths are simply because the clams are not healthy and they don’t recover like a fish would. That clam looks terrible. I have clams from pacific east right now growing, while deaths still happen, I do think they are the best vendor.

I would consider LFS if they had the clam a few weeks and I saw growth. Not just having the white edge but if I saw it increasing. Otherwise it’s a gamble.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very interested in keeping a clam but have never kept one before! Mostly looking for one I can keep on the bottom of the tank. The tank is a 45 jbj RL, and the light is a AI Prime HD. There's an area in the middle that is about 8 inches across and 8 inches front to back and about 10 inches diagonally, no rush on it so if changes need be made I can make them if needed (within reason). I also know some clams are rock boring and have rock I can move under it if need be. Heres so pictures of the spot in thinking. Obviously the corals will be moved (and excuse the algae). Any input or suggestion will be appreciated, dont be afraid to tell me to not keep on as well, if that's your genuine recommendation! Thanks!
20190314_155653.jpeg
20190314_155557.jpeg
20190314_155456.jpeg

IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG
IMG_2895.JPG

Derasa under Ai prime HD’s (2) had it since last spring and getting very good growth and more importantly it’s as happy as a you know what.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW cultured Reef has some sweet deals right now, they have micro or normal sized. Either under 100 and they ship better than anyone else I have used.
IMG_3179.JPG

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of curiosity, what's different about keeping Derasa vs Maxima and other clams that make them "easier"? my first "Big" tank finally got delivered (it's a Reefer 425xl, so not really big, but big for me) and I'd like to have one or two clams in there eventually. Is it just lighting that mainly make the others more difficult, or do they require dosing etc?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back