First clean up crew

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my tank is just about to finish its cycle and wanted to know what yalls opinion on an appropriate Clean up crew for a 75 gallon reef tank would be
I'm gonna have decent amount of fish if that matters at all for the CuC

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just so you know a reef tank and a lot of fish dont go together too easily.
but back to your question. there is no correct answer to your question.

my advice is add few at a time,. in a new tank there wont be a lot of food for them so adding too many at once, they will just starve and die

if you want hermits buy like a 6 and start with 12 snails of 3 different types.. then watch your algae , if it starts taking off reload more snails

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo
if you have sand add
5-7 nassarius snails
add 8 banded trochus snails (these will breed in home aquariums so you will never have to buy snails again)
add 3 mexican turbo snails
add 5 scarlet reef hermits
1 fighting couch -sand only

start with that in a 75 and you should be ok

remember these numbers are just my opinion. each tank is different , plus some people hate hermits because they kill snails, i dont care my tank has over 1000 snails and babies,

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just so you know a reef tank and a lot of fish dont go together too easily.
but back to your question. there is no correct answer to your question.

my advice is add few at a time,. in a new tank there wont be a lot of food for them so adding too many at once, they will just starve and die

if you want hermits buy like a 6 and start with 12 snails of 3 different types.. then watch your algae , if it starts taking off reload more snails
i dont mean a ton of fish its about 10 with the largest being a kole tang and the smallest being bangaii cardinals and wheelers goby :) also sonuds good thanks!

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo
if you have sand add
5-7 nassarius snails
add 8 banded trochus snails (these will breed in home aquariums so you will never have to buy snails again)
add 3 mexican turbo snails
add 5 scarlet reef hermits
1 fighting couch -sand only

start with that in a 75 and you should be ok

remember these numbers are just my opinion. each tank is different , plus some people hate hermits because they kill snails, i dont care my tank has over 1000 snails and babies,
i like hermits so ill probably just go with that list you gave since i have like a 2 1/2 - 3/12" sandbed

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont mean a ton of fish its about 10 with the largest being a kole tang and the smallest being bangaii cardinals and wheelers goby :) also sonuds good thanks!
10 fish in a 75 is a lot

go slow especially if you want to keep sps.

more fish, more feeding more nutrients. i had 70 fish in my 265 and 3 80 gallon frag tanks and its very hard managing nutrients.

i dont mind i like the fish better than the sps. :)

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish in a 75 is a lot

go slow especially if you want to keep sps.

more fish, more feeding more nutrients. i had 70 fish in my 265 and 3 80 gallon frag tanks and its very hard managing nutrients.

i dont mind i like the fish better than the sps. :)
ah okay i may cut back on bangaiis i just was gonna have x5 of them thanks for the heads up

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah okay i may cut back on bangaiis i just was gonna have x5 of them thanks for the heads up
your welcome

i have 550 gallon of water, so doing big water changes are out of the question and very expensive.

if you want a lot of fish in a 75 its possible, dont want to discourage you, but its work.
big skimmer, big water changes once a week. cleaning the sand bed
good flow

just want you to be prepared.

also bangaii card dont school like they do in the pet store. those school because there babies as they get older and mature you will get a pair and the male is going to kill the weaker ones and you might only be left with a pair

OP
OP
S

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your welcome

i have 550 gallon of water, so doing big water changes are out of the question and very expensive.

if you want a lot of fish in a 75 its possible, dont want to discourage you, but its work.
big skimmer, big water changes once a week. cleaning the sand bed
good flow

just want you to be prepared.

also bangaii card dont school like they do in the pet store. those school because there babies as they get older and mature you will get a pair and the male is going to kill the weaker ones and you might only be left with a pair
ohh okay definitely gonna cut back lol ill just get like 2 or 3

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g and started with a few different types of snails depending on what I was encountering with the tank. You will want to wait until you start having something for them to eat, though. Once you turn on your lights, you'll see some algae popping up!

- Cerith (small and large) are great at cleaning the nooks and crannies of the rocks! I started with around 10 big ones and 25 little ones.
- Nerite are hardy and good workers, but you do have to watch that they don't get flipped over (rare to occur) because they can't flip themselves back over. I started with 10 of these.
- Asterea are great as well and can flip themselves back over without problems....but they tend to eat more so you really need some algae or just a few to start out. I added these later as the tank progressed.
- Trochus are really good work horses...but probably not good to start with right away without a lot for them to eat. I added these later as the tank progressed.
- Nassarious are meat eaters only...they don't eat algae...these will bury themselves in the sand and pop out during feeding time to eat up the extra food that gets onto the sand bed or stuck in the rocks...plus, they will eat any other snails that are dying or dead, but won't attack healthy snails. Good to have around 10 to start out.

I didn't use hermit crabs...some can be difficult and cause trouble.

Don't fall into buying one of those "packages" -- usually a bunch of stuff you don't need, especially when the tank is just finishing cycling. The die off from those crazy numbers can really cause problems with new tank parameters.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great advice
but how did you leave out the bulldozer of cuc, the mexican turbo snail

And only thing i find in mt tank is nerite and cerith die over time. i started with 25 each and i dont see any in my tank 3 years ago might have a few

did you notice this
yes it could be my hermits :)
seen a few walking around in shells :)

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a reef cleaners pack for my 55 gal after cycling. I just bought the package for a 20L though, and it seems to be plenty

Back