First coral, is it healthy?

shawtygotbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I got my first hammer coral last week. To be honest, I don’t really know how to tell if it’s doing well or not.

Do you gauge health based on how the tentacles look?

The flesh on the bottom hasn’t moved since I got it. I think that’s good. What color is the flesh supposed to be?

IMG_7247.jpeg
IMG_7248.jpeg IMG_7245.jpeg

Bhuddafunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine, make sure the base of the heads where the polys attach stay white. I find that area can be susceptible to bacterial affections and in my experience once it goes brown say goodbye.

OP
OP
S

shawtygotbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I appreciate the info!

I didn’t look at the base/flesh when I got it. So I didn’t realize the flesh was supposed to be white. I was worried that if it was white, it was dying/bleaching.

One other thing, should I be feeding it? The guy at the fish store said it would eat plenty from from photosynthesis. It gets 8 hours of light per day.

Calcium > 400
Kh = ~9.5
Nitrate < 5
Phosphate is under .1, generally like .07

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I appreciate the info!

I didn’t look at the base/flesh when I got it. So I didn’t realize the flesh was supposed to be white. I was worried that if it was white, it was dying/bleaching.

One other thing, should I be feeding it? The guy at the fish store said it would eat plenty from from photosynthesis. It gets 8 hours of light per day.

Calcium > 400
Kh = ~9.5
Nitrate < 5
Phosphate is under .1, generally like .07

You can feed it if you want, but not necessarily necessary.

One common beginner misconception is that corals do photosynthesis. They do not.
Instead, they welcome zooxanthellae, which is a single called dinoflagellate, into their tissue.

The zooxanthellae do photosynthesis, giving the coral some of the food molecules produced from it.

OP
OP
S

shawtygotbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed it if you want, but not necessarily necessary.

One common beginner misconception is that corals do photosynthesis. They do not.
Instead, they welcome zooxanthellae, which is a single called dinoflagellate, into their tissue.

The zooxanthellae do photosynthesis, giving the coral some of the food molecules produced from it.
Yeah, it’s so cool they have formed that relationship. Such an amazing animal!

How do I know if it needs meaty foods in addition?

Also, do zooxanthellae consume nitrate and phosphate like other algaes? I imagine so since other threads talk about it being an issue when those are bottomed out… a bit confused on that subject though.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the zooxanthelle use phos and nitr. If you have alot of fish i wouldnt worry about feeding it. If you dont then take a turkey baster and gently blast some mysis over it or some reef roids.

Jimbobalou622

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi,
I got my first hammer coral last week. To be honest, I don’t really know how to tell if it’s doing well or not.

Do you gauge health based on how the tentacles look?

The flesh on the bottom hasn’t moved since I got it. I think that’s good. What color is the flesh supposed to be?

IMG_7247.jpeg
IMG_7248.jpeg IMG_7245.jpeg
It looks healthy to me

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s so cool they have formed that relationship. Such an amazing animal!

How do I know if it needs meaty foods in addition?

Also, do zooxanthellae consume nitrate and phosphate like other algaes? I imagine so since other threads talk about it being an issue when those are bottomed out… a bit confused on that subject though.
Yes, they will consume phosphates and nitrate.

You can never tell it a coral needs food, therefore, we make schedules, depending on each coral, its generally around 1-3 times a week.

OP
OP
S

shawtygotbass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, yeah I only have two small fish and a couple snails.

I’ll try chopping up some mysis and basting it onto its mouths a couple times a week.

Thanks everyone! Coral was really intimidating for me, it’s awesome to get all the feedback so quickly!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back