First Ever Build

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build which is going to consist of two builds really. The two builds are and will be independent of each other.
The first build is a 20g that will be my frag/quarantine tank.
Its pretty simple and basic.
Here is the list of components I used for this build and any suggestions, ideas or even criticisms are welcome!
20g tank
2-Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 Power heads
Hydor Koralia Smart Wave
1-Zedlight ZA1201 LED Light
1-CPR Aquatic AquaFuge 2 Refugium
14 pounds Reef Saver live dry rock
1- digital temp alert
1-Eheim Jager 250w heater
RO/DI System
IMG_5765.JPG
IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_6023.jpg
IMG_6025.jpg

The back of the tank has been blacked out with a static cling black background but really doesn't do the job I was hoping for so recommendations would be a plus.
I cured the rock in bleach for a week, did 3 days of rinsing in RO water ( 3 changes of RO water each day) Then used a chlorine remover for 24hr, tested the water for chlorine which was 0 then another 24 hr soak in RO and a re-test for chlorine. The tank is now in the cycle process and the fun begins!
Thats it for the 20 to this date.
As I stated above this is the first of 2 builds and I wanted to get the 20 up and running while I'm building the second my DT.
The DT is a 75g I have a lot to do as the only thing I'm keeping is the tank and the lighting at this point.
Here is a pic I purchased this as is from a student that's in their 3rd year of Vet school at WSU
IMG_5757.jpg
I'm going to build a new stand as this one isn't big enough for the sump I want to use. I'm going to replace the lighting hood also. It currently has 4 HO T5's. I want the top open so I'm debating on which direction to go on lighting. This will probably be a mixed reef so I have to decide what I want to do for lighting. When I start this build I will update this thread.

UPDATE COMING ON THE 75

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the build;)

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
I might be a little concerned about the size of that heater though, just because its sticking out beyond the minimum water level. Maybe try to angle it so it is submerged further?

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
I might be a little concerned about the size of that heater though, just because its sticking out beyond the minimum water level. Maybe try to angle it so it is submerged further?
Hahaha yeah I know it came with the 75 I have to get one for the 20 but to be honest I'm at a loss when it comes to heaters, everyone I've looked at has as many good as bad reviews. I'm open to suggestions as I'm not going to use that heater in either tank. Plus heaters for the 75.

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha yeah I know it came with the 75 I have to get one for the 20 but to be honest I'm at a loss when it comes to heaters, everyone I've looked at has as many good as bad reviews. I'm open to suggestions as I'm not going to use that heater in either tank. Plus heaters for the 75.
I use the same heater model pictured, the Eheim Jaeger, in my tanks.
Smaller tanks I use a single heater, but the 75 has 350W total in the sump divided into a 200 and a 150. The 200 isn't quite enough in the winter it seems, so I added the 150. Its a good idea to use 2 smaller heaters over one larger one, so that if one fails off you still have some heat or if it fails on it wont cook the tank immediately.

The Eheim is a pretty trusted heater from what I have read, and the temperature control can be adjusted a bit for accuracy. I've never had an issue personally.

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same heater model pictured, the Eheim Jaeger, in my tanks.
Smaller tanks I use a single heater, but the 75 has 350W total in the sump divided into a 200 and a 150. The 200 isn't quite enough in the winter it seems, so I added the 150. Its a good idea to use 2 smaller heaters over one larger one, so that if one fails off you still have some heat or if it fails on it wont cook the tank immediately.

The Eheim is a pretty trusted heater from what I have read, and the temperature control can be adjusted a bit for accuracy. I've never had an issue personally.
That's good to know and yes two heaters was what I was planning on doing for the 75. Are you using a controller with your system?

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE 75g PART 1
Now that the 20 is cycling the plan is to start building the 75. I have put a considerable amount of thought (planning) into this and I'm going to take it at a normal pace and not rush things... you know the saying "WORK SMART NOT HARD". I've always been one of those do it right the first time as I hate doing the same thing twice. Step back take a look, find the hardest way to do it, then find an easier way. Does that mean you won't make a mistake? Not at all! Believe me I've made more then my fair share over the years but less and less as the years add up. The biggest contributor to that is I've learned from my mistakes. So that's one more reason to take it easy and not rush things. I have a good deal of work ahead and the cool part is looking at other builds here, I can pick what I've seen and liked and see if I can incorporate it into my build. Now the other cool and what I consider the FUN part of all this is for those of you who follow this build thread, YOU have the opportunity to become part of this build. Tell me what you like and dislike and the reasons. I'm no expert when it comes to this and so I will be turning to you the experienced ones who have gone through the build process not just once but several times for some.

Okay lets get started with this shall we?
I know some of you are already saying where's the pic's lol.
About 6 weeks ago I picked up a used 75g tank with the stand and lighting hood. This also included a 30g sump. The lighting hood has 4-T5 HO's.
It really was a steal at a whopping $150.00
Here are pic's of the purchase.
IMG_5770.jpg
IMG_5771.jpg
IMG_5775.jpg
IMG_5776.jpg
IMG_5772.JPG
IMG_5774.JPG
IMG_5773.JPG
IMG_5777.JPG
IMG_5778.JPG
IMG_5779.JPG

First, as you can see the lighting hood is a mess so that is going to into the scrap pile. I'll save the tubes, tombstones and ballasts but the hood is a goner. I want an open top on the tank.
Second, the stand is a miss also. I like the removable doors but the magnet holders are getting eaten by the salt and rusting, not good! I will be building a new stand for reasons outlined below.
Third, this sump isn't in the plan for this build. I plan on a bigger sump which is the main factor of building a new stand. I need more room not for only the sump but other equipment also.
In the next part of the planning of this build I will cover the equipment going into this build. Please feel free to comment! Input is always a welcome factor!

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE PART 1 CONTINUED
EQUIPMENT

Here is my list of items that I will be purchasing in the later part of February.
I would like reviews if you have any on these items. Some I haven't made a decision on and that's where you come into help give some incite on products!

1. Trigger Systems - Triton 44 Sump
2. Powerheads x2 Maxspect - XF230 Gyre pump w/controller (2300gph)
3. Return Pump Reef Octopus Varios-4 controllable DC Pump (1050 gph)
4. Vertex - Omega 150 Protein Skimmer
5. Heaters - I haven't made a choice
6. Controllers - I haven't made a choice but I'm leaning towards the Apex
7. ATO's - I haven't made a choice
8. Dosing units - I haven't made a choice
9. Lighting (tank & fuge) this is a big one I would really like some input here. I do have some T5 HO's (not the ones that came with the tank). Add LED's to these?
Go LED only? Thoughts?
10. Battery back-up. Now this one is going to be something ultra super cool (lol) I have been working on DC systems for about three yrs now with a power utility.
I've worked for this company for almost 18yrs. This will be a special part of this build when it gets to that point.
11. Rock - I will see how the BRS Reef Saver Dry Live Rock does in my 20g and go from there.

Feels like I'm missing something but I'm sure you'll let me know.
When I have the plans for the stand drawn up I'll post those as well.
Until then I'll see you on the next update!

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 gyre xf230s is going to be overkill for a 75. I guess if you really want to be able to alternate, then two makes sense.
I have a single xf150 and it starts pushing sand around over 40%

I used 50lbs of reefcleaners rock in mine, and I was really happy with it. You could probably do with another 10-20lbs (60-70 total) depending on your preferred aquascape style.

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 gyre xf230s is going to be overkill for a 75. I guess if you really want to be able to alternate, then two makes sense.
I have a single xf150 and it starts pushing sand around over 40%

I used 50lbs of reefcleaners rock in mine, and I was really happy with it. You could probably do with another 10-20lbs (60-70 total) depending on your preferred aquascape style.
Is that the only powerhead you are running? Thanks for the input much appreciated :)

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the only powerhead you are running? Thanks for the input much appreciated :)
So far, yes. I do have a couple Jaebo RW8s if more flow (or from another direction) seems to be needed once the tank is stocked.

I'm currently running the xf150 alternating with the A and B rotors as shipped. So 40% forward at the top of the tank for gyre flow, then 70% reverse for turbulent flow alternating. The turbulent flow isn't very forceful so the power can get cranked up.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf230s on my 55 love them. I run each at 60% alternating gyre.

As far as the CPR aquafuge.. I actually have the medium model on my 55. When I got into the hobby I was advised against getting a reef ready because "sumps are a pain." 14 months later I have a real tank being made.
Anyway, I too noticed insane light spillage so I took black duct tape and went around the sides, the rear, and the bottom. No light spillage anymore. Ugly? Yup. Does it work? Yup.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back