Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D9F03AB3-C480-4233-BDD5-3252AAF51CD6.jpeg
1141DDAA-08E3-4469-85C8-F199856BE42F.jpeg
843F447A-BB25-4B45-898E-6DE5B3EE6717.jpeg
UPDATE 75g
BATTERY BACKUP

I’m going to go probably unconventional here but hey this will be pretty cool when it’s done.
I’ll be using EnerSys PowerSafe SBS B14 batteries. I’m not sure how many but I’m leaning on using 2.
Here’s a few pics of the batteries.

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any results yet
Nothing stunning yet, but I honestly haven't looked too closely either.
Also, I have added some frags with coralline on them too. We will see how many colors eventually appear.
If anything, hopefully it was worth it to help diversify the coralline varieties and potentially the nitrifying bacteria as well.

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F6CBEB9D-742E-4885-B7AF-918E32A87C1A.jpeg
17C4E232-9948-426F-BD08-FB1DC42A151E.jpeg
Update on the 20​

The 20 has had plenty of issues which have been solved. Originally this tank was a bare bottom and in the last 2 week I decided to add sand. I’m really happy I did, not only does it look better the critters like it too.
I also added more live rock. It’s been a challenge getting things to settle in where I want them and it’s about there with the exception of getting a couple of parameters levels adjusted up to where I want them.
Going to start slowly bringing my corals I have at my sons tank back home this weekend.
Here’s a to date photo

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any results yet
I currently have my 75 cycling. I used two bottles of the purple helix.

Now that my ammonia levels have dropped to zero I can see purple speckles in various places. I am about 6 weeks into my cycle

I had planned on waiting to add the bottles but I was getting close to the use by date so had to toss them in

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing stunning yet, but I honestly haven't looked too closely either.
Also, I have added some frags with coralline on them too. We will see how many colors eventually appear.
If anything, hopefully it was worth it to help diversify the coralline varieties and potentially the nitrifying bacteria as well.
Yeah I don’t think anything came from it in mine as of date. I just bought 2 big live rocks covered in coralline last weekend hopefully that will get things rolling. You can see how purple these rocks are in this pick. About 6 lbs these 2 came to total.
93F4DC1E-EC1E-473B-B7DA-910FA67D6265.jpeg

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my 75 cycling. I used two bottles of the purple helix.

Now that my ammonia levels have dropped to zero I can see purple speckles in various places. I am about 6 weeks into my cycle

I had planned on waiting to add the bottles but I was getting close to the use by date so had to toss them in
That’s great it’s working.

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks have all turned a pretty uniform green/brown/tan. Definitely not hair/diatoms.
Looking like good coralline colors are coming in over the top.

I'll snap a pic or two tonight.
I did add frags etc. with coralline on them, but it seems doubtful that I would get such a solid color change so quickly from that alone. Went from greenish spotting like others have reported to almost full coverage in a matter of days.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks have all turned a pretty uniform green/brown/tan. Definitely not hair/diatoms.

I did add frags etc. with coralline on them, but it seems doubtful that I would get such a solid color change so quickly from that alone. Went from greenish spotting like others have reported to almost full coverage in a matter of days.
Interesting. My rocks have all turned Brown on top. Just assumed it's diatom as I have a tiny bit in a couple spots of the sand bed

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wont come off the rock easily by brushing or rubbing. Definitely a hard algae.
My rocks have changed color as well more so brown then anything. I do get diatom on it but the clean up crew does a pretty good job of taking care of that.
I was at my lfs over the weekend as I wanted to get a couple of sand snails and a sand sifting goby, I showed him a pic of the tank and he asked how much rock was in it so I responded and he said I need a bit more so he had a bunch of live rock that was just covered in purple coralline so I added another 6lbs. I’m thinking of going back and picking up about 30 more for the 75 and put it in a brut with a pump and heater until I need it for the 75. I have 70lbs of live dry rock for that and I think I will add that to the 30 of live rock. I paid less per lb for the live then I did for the dry.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks have changed color as well more so brown then anything. I do get diatom on it but the clean up crew does a pretty good job of taking care of that.
I was at my lfs over the weekend as I wanted to get a couple of sand snails and a sand sifting goby, I showed him a pic of the tank and he asked how much rock was in it so I responded and he said I need a bit more so he had a bunch of live rock that was just covered in purple coralline so I added another 6lbs. I’m thinking of going back and picking up about 30 more for the 75 and put it in a brut with a pump and heater until I need it for the 75. I have 70lbs of live dry rock for that and I think I will add that to the 30 of live rock. I paid less per lb for the live then I did for the dry.
I haven't even bothered trying to disturb it. Impatiently waiting on my nitrites to drop so I can get a cuc in there.

Not sure how much I got in my 75 but it's quite a bit. Got it from a buddy for $100 so couldn't beat it

Bleached it all was too scared of critters lol

OP
OP
SuperHaze57

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I’ll look forward to the pics. I’ll take some close ups too of the new rock. My son is going to frag some of his corals for me today. He wants to see how they do in my tank. He already did a couple frogspawns and I have a really nice torch and a hammer I got from my lfs a couple months back at my sons place. I didn’t want to take a chance on loosing any more stuff. I just didn’t start off slow enough in the beginning. I’ll be putting the frogspawn in this weekend and see how it goes before bringing the torch and hammer home.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back