First ever fragging was a success!

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to try and frag a coral for the first time. The coral I chose... my nice big sunkist bounce mushroom. I was able to cut the coral into 2 nice little frags and I now have 2 beautiful round bubbly bounce mushrooms. I may end up selling the small frag to make my money back from the original frag. I am super happy with how it went.

20190803_213345.jpg 20190803_213327.jpg 20190803_213333.jpg 20190803_213337.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I decided to try and frag a coral for the first time. The coral I chose... my nice big sunkist bounce mushroom. I was able to cut the coral into 2 nice little frags and I now have 2 beautiful round bubbly bounce mushrooms. I may end up selling the small frag to make my money back from the original frag. I am super happy with how it went.

Congratulations! Good work! :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! Any idea how much this kind of coral sells for lol

I think that you will find that coral prices vary based on where you try to sell it, what is the market in that space (e.g., online, in your area, etc.), your established reputation, and other factors. If this is your first sale then I would encourage you to focus more on figuring out what your options are, how the process works, getting it to the buyer successfully, and making sure that the buyer is pleased. If you keep your tank healthy then you should have plenty of frags available and will be able to sell them effectively if you take the time to understand the process now. Good luck!

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that you will find that coral prices vary based on where you try to sell it, what is the market in that space (e.g., online, in your area, etc.), your established reputation, and other factors. If this is your first sale then I would encourage you to focus more on figuring out what your options are, how the process works, getting it to the buyer successfully, and making sure that the buyer is pleased. If you keep your tank healthy then you should have plenty of frags available and will be able to sell them effectively if you take the time to understand the process now. Good luck!
My last priority is to sell frags for profit. My perfect idea of my tank is to make back what I invested one day and use it to expand my hobby never to really profit. My main idea is to supply my lfs(s) because they both only buy locally aquaculture coral

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last priority is to sell frags for profit. My perfect idea of my tank is to make back what I invested one day and use it to expand my hobby never to really profit. My main idea is to supply my lfs(s) because they both only buy locally aquaculture coral
It will take a long time to make you money back like that. A lfs will buy it at half or less. They will than take it and mark it up by 100%. That way they can sustain the shop.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take a long time to make you money back like that. A lfs will buy it at half or less. They will than take it and mark it up by 100%. That way they can sustain the shop.
I have a bunch of zoas I got at amazing deals they want to buy. :) I have some absolute chaos I paid 7$ for 3 heads. Gobstopper, pink constellations and smurfette 9$ each for one head and I now have like 6 heads each after a month and a half :) I'm going to take it super slow this isnt a near future thing

I dont have high expectations or a plan that I see as fool proof it's more of a here and there kind of thing

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back