OP
OP
Hulley

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines are similar to Damsels in that they get a bad rap. Could be because it is more readily available and thus picked up by beginners or could be that they are just more aggressive than others. Similar to Damsels. However, there are a lot of easy going Damsels that make great tank mates if the tank is set up properly. I tend to say the same rule of thumb applies to Six lines. If you know or understand the base principle of needs then they are usually great assets to have in home aquarium.

They are small but fast. They are constantly hunting. They require a lot of rocks and food readily available to hunt. So a healthy pod population. Healthy pod population also means limit the number of pod predators that will require and compete for the same food unless the pods can reproduce at a faster rate than consumers. Tanks that are not mature in this regard need not apply because they won't meet the base requirement for the fish no matter how small, cute, and cuddly it may look.

Point is, would you leave your puppy unattended in the home while you went to work? Or would you have it contained or better yet crate trained? Of course, you wouldn't leave it unattended. Much like a young child. Same rule applies. Introducing a fish that the system can't sustain means said Six Line is bored and hungry. Thus the aggression, bad behavior, and trouble they get into.

I've owned two. Plan on getting one with my new tank once it is mature enough and the pods are breeding like a rabbit because I also want some dragon faced pipe fish which will compete for the same food.

I didn't realize that pods were their main source of food, LA states they eat mysis and other type foods. In that case, I will hold off until the tank is mature. I do have a large refugium in place.

U

User1

View Badges
I didn't realize that pods were their main source of food, LA states they eat mysis and other type foods. In that case, I will hold off until the tank is mature. I do have a large refugium in place.

I'm not a expert by any means. I probably should have clarified that. They are opportunistic for sure. However, they hunt pretty much 24x7 unless they are sleeping. Upon second thought maybe the better word is foragers. They forage among the rocks. Swim here, hover, look, peek deeper, pick, chew, zip over to another source, repeat. They remind me a lot of hummingbirds.

I personally think they are great additions but then again I'm a believer in Damsels (Chrysiptera family) so be warned. But if you are setting up a tank and it isn't really established then I think there are other fish that would be better. Then once the tank is mature you can look at your stalk (er, stock) list and see if it fits.

One more thing to consider is tank vs Six Line. They have a interesting color pattern. I sort of lost sight of mine in my 100 gallon with all of the red and purple algaes. I've heard others with similar size fish like a pygmy possum wrasse. Just something to think about.

Dawn Dababneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers, looking to add my first fish to my RSR 350. Would a Six Line Wrasse be a good one to go with? I plan on a couple gobys, blennies and a yellow or purple tang, with the Tang being the last addition.

Any issues with this? I've not had a wrasse before and wasn't sure how territorial these guys are.
If your adding more fish than the 6 line wrasse should be the last fish added. They are very aggressive and tend to pick or kill any new addition there are many other reef safe wrasses that are not nearly as aggressive. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hulley

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your adding more fish than the 6 line wrasse should be the last fish added. They are very aggressive and tend to pick or kill any new addition there are many other reef safe wrasses that are not nearly as aggressive. Good luck.

Thank you!

Kindred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six line was fine with all others except wrasses, he harassed my solar wrasse all the time. Agree he’s fun too watch and good pest control alone...

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I read says six lines are the devil but I really like mine. Fun to watch. Sometimes he likes to hang with the clowns then he goes about his business. I did get it very tiny though but is growing quickly

CreatiVe2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had multiple wrasses, varying from docile(flashers) to territorial (Mystery) and I have found that the 6 line is the best balance between the two, and overall a great first addition to any tank. I am thinking about picking up another one for my new tank coming online in a few weeks. if in a tank large enough he will get alone with others, but be careful and do research.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a very pretty fish also & eats flatworms & such . Maybe in a large tank with much larger fish? My 180 fish only would be a good place for the little devil .

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why go with a six line when u can get a melanarus, much more peaceful and just as pretty imo and you can put it with other wrasses...

Last edited:
Back