OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovin the deep house in the video, nice touch. :cool: Have you checked the PAR by the way? It looks like your running 2 HD32s and I'm curious about the spread and penetration as I'm planning my own.
Thanks. I have not. I know I really should, and I plan to. Yes, 2 32hds. I have them about 12" off of the surface. Current light preset is "Pirates". I will try to attach the file. If I cant, I will screenshot the presets. When I check the PAR, I will be sure to make a video of it and chart the results.

Screenshot_20201027-215423_myAI.jpg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good in here. Digging the 50g. One of our lfs has a bunch set up for frag tanks. If i could do it all over again I'd go with these. Definetely following along.

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good in here. Digging the 50g. One of our lfs has a bunch set up for frag tanks. If i could do it all over again I'd go with these. Definetely following along.
I will be moving soon and will have to break down everything for the move. I am thinking about adding a second one at that point.

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a cleannnnnn shallow tank setup!! Awesome pics!
Thanks! Still a work in progress. Will be adding a controller and building a cabinet for the controller this weekend. Will post pictures of that process when it is complete or if I need advice along the way.

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on doing that?
I am thinking of running all electric up through the floor in the next house. Place both tanks as an island with the short sides back to back. Tee off the plumbing and just bring it in the same way I did the original one. Use the same sump/fuge. I might add a live rock tub similar to what you have, but in something acrylic to match the original sump/fuge. Maybe T5s or MHs over the next one. Less egg crate and more frag discs and tiles.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Still a work in progress. Will be adding a controller and building a cabinet for the controller this weekend. Will post pictures of that process when it is complete or if I need advice along the way.
Looking forward to seeing it man! Thanks for sharing.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask only because I'm curious if you plan on daisy chaining your frag tanks like mine? Or if you had other ideas.
If it was me I'd go with one central sump.
1 big sump full of livecrock and water mass.
Return to each tank and plenty of overflow on adjustable valves back to sump.

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask only because I'm curious if you plan on daisy chaining your frag tanks like mine? Or if you had other ideas.
If it was me I'd go with one central sump.
1 big sump full of livecrock and water mass.
Return to each tank and plenty of overflow on adjustable valves back to sump.
I think what makes the most sense with how I have the first one plumbed is to tee off after the return pump and have a valve to control the flow coming into each tank. One return and one overflow on each. Back down to a single, central sump. The part I haven't quite figured out yet is whether I want to add another acrylic tank for a fuge section or more live rock. I have a drain on my current sump that would allow me to tie in whatever I want to add on down there.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what makes the most sense with how I have the first one plumbed is to tee off after the return pump and have a valve to control the flow coming into each tank. One return and one overflow on each. Back down to a single, central sump. The part I haven't quite figured out yet is whether I want to add another acrylic tank for a fuge section or more live rock. I have a drain on my current sump that would allow me to tie in whatever I want to add on down there.
I like central sump. My 2 sumps are daisy chained together along with my tables from left to right..
One continuous loop from one end to the other. It is nice to have seperate sump for ATO. You can return from whatever sump you want as long as you have equalization and flow all in between them.
Here's mine. Could be better bit its working.

Gravity fed ATO to oroginal main sump
20201029_205350.jpg

Top left to right.
20201029_205354.jpg
20201029_205408.jpg

Full shot
20201029_205339.jpg

Skimmers and returns in both res because even though equalized they do act as individual ecosystems, probably not enough equalization and why one central res would be better. Alot more efficient anyway.

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like central sump. My 2 sumps are daisy chained together along with my tables from left to right..
One continuous loop from one end to the other. It is nice to have seperate sump for ATO. You can return from whatever sump you want as long as you have equalization and flow all in between them.
Here's mine. Could be better bit its working.

Gravity fed ATO to oroginal main sump
20201029_205350.jpg

Top left to right.
20201029_205354.jpg
20201029_205408.jpg

Full shot
20201029_205339.jpg

Skimmers and returns in both res because even though equalized they do act as individual ecosystems, probably not enough equalization and why one central res would be better. Alot more efficient anyway.
I see what you are saying about the loop now. That is really smart. Constant cycle of stable nutrients in each tub. I remember watching some videos of Mile High Reefer/Scott Anderson's system on youtube. He had a huge trough in his basement that acted as a single sump where he put everything from macroalgae to live rock together. It all worked out beautifully.

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Apex and Trident for this setup. I couldn't bring myself to complete the order and drop that much cash. The wife had to do it. Haha. Oh well. I am excited to get a control cabinet built and start taming some of the wires and cables I have running rampant around my current stand and power bars. Pics coming this weekend.

Happy Reefing!! :)
-Anthony

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life hybrid fixture will be coming in today. Hoping that install goes smoothly.

Although I have a slight idea of how to acclimate my tank with the new T5s (non-dimmable), I would like all of your input as to how many hours to start out with. Light will be hanging around 14 inches from the surface. Hydra 32HDs will still be on the usual lighting schedule. Still have not checked the PAR (I know...shame on me. haha). I think the PMK for the Apex will be the best option.

Pics or video to come later today.

Happy Reefing!!
-Anthony

OP
OP
BaysEndReef

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My T5 fixture came in. Got it installed last night. Will be running it for 4 hours a day and increasing by 1 hour at the end of each week.

My Apex and Trident came in. Going to find a cabinet for mounting and organizing tomorrow. Pics will be posted of that. I will be happy when my rats nest of wires are managed.

Currently fighting dinos. I have been dosing H2O2 and running UV. It seems to be a little better. I dont know what specific strain it is. I have no microscope. Maybe that would be a good investment? Thoughts?

Happy Reefing!!
-Anthony

20201106_164943.jpg 20201106_165029.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back