First long tentacle anemone

tisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, this is my first long tentacle anemone. I’ve noticed he keeps moving beside the inlet to my filter. It’s not creating great suction my only concern is if it will get damaged or hurt being near it. Again I’ve moved him twice since getting it 2 days ago to the opposite side of the tank and it returns to the filter each time.

My other anemone is happy and found it’s spot.

IMG_6906.jpeg IMG_6908.jpeg IMG_6907.jpeg

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lta need a 3-4” sand bed which it doesn’t look like you have you need to create that for it to feel comfortable and stay put until you do so it will continue to move.

OP
OP
T

tisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lta need a 3-4” sand bed which it doesn’t look like you have you need to create that for it to feel comfortable and stay put until you do so it will continue to move.
Is it possible to just add the sand in a specific area of the tank. I did know it liked a sand bed but I’ve seen other posts saying it might just grab to a rock. I have about 3” of crushed coral.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crushed coral is not a great substrate for ltas you could do a Dixie cup or round container and add sand to it and put the crushed coral around the container.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time keeper of LTAs here.

It will not like the crushed coral. Special grade sand or finer.

It does not need a deep sand bed.

What it does need is a place for it's body to feel safe. A cave on the sand bed with no sharp edges is ideal.

The ONLY place these will attach is the glass. It might move across a rock but it will not stay there.

You can add a deep sand bed in a portion of your tank but it will need to be kept in place by a SOLID rock formation. Something glued or bonded together. I have done this once or twice but if you have clownfish they WILL try to dig it out of the sand. You will have to keep filling it back up.

I would make a cave. Slide it's foot into the cave. Put something like a bowl or screen over top of it. Turn off flow. Once it finds the glass it will attach. If it stays is another story. That depends on the conditions you set it up for..... Smooth cave, Fine sand. Good light.

You should also be aware if it likes where you put it and it gets comfortable it will be the size of a basketball within a year or so. So be prepared and plan for that.

OP
OP
T

tisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What it does need is a place for it's body to feel safe. A cave on the sand bed with no sharp edges is ideal.

The ONLY place these will attach is the glass. It might move across a rock but it will not stay there.

You can add a deep sand bed in a portion of your tank but it will need to be kept in place by a SOLID rock formation. Something glued or bonded together. I have done this once or twice but if you have clownfish they WILL try to dig it out of the sand. You will have to keep filling it back up.

I would make a cave. Slide it's foot into the cave. Put something like a bowl or screen over top of it. Turn off flow. Once it finds the glass it will attach. If it stays is another story. That depends on the conditions you set it up for..... Smooth cave, Fine sand. Good light.

You should also be aware if it likes where you put it and it gets comfortable it will be the size of a basketball within a year or so. So be prepared and plan for that.
Honestly this helps a tonne, just picked up some Fiji pink aragonite and I’ll get to making a cave right away. Thanks so much for the feedback appreciated.

OP
OP
T

tisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_6909.jpeg
    IMG_6909.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 47

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back