First Reef Tank - 90 gallons

slowleak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m new to Reef 2 Reef and reefing for that matter. Been a long time stalker of the forum (thanks for all the info by the way!) and the tank is finally starting to come together so I thought I would jump in and start my build thread.

I found a good deal on a used 90 gallon peninsula. Going to place it in a corner so have to paint the back black still.
1605145584803.jpeg
Got it all cleaned up with a few days soak in citric acid. Took a little more elbow grease than I was expected :)

I’ve built the frame for the stand and a friend is going to “skin” it for me. My carpentry skills aren’t as good as his.
1605145837200.jpeg

Been working on the aqua scape...
Got 80lbs of Marco rock, which was a little too much for the scape I’m going for...but I’m sure a little extra sitting around is never a bad thing.

Going for a negative space scape. I used the super glue and crushed Marco rock method. The bonds are extremely strong (rock would break before the bonds when I wanted to redo things). It does create a chemical reaction which produces a pretty good amount of heat. It will burn you so wear gloves. It’s a work in progress...have already moved it around several times as it seems everyone does. It’s 8 different structures that fit together right now.
1605147026481.jpeg

Would love to get some advise. Kinda hard to see the depth. I’ll try to get some better pictures as it comes together more.

Cas0311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’m new to Reef 2 Reef and reefing for that matter. Been a long time stalker of the forum (thanks for all the info by the way!) and the tank is finally starting to come together so I thought I would jump in and start my build thread.

I found a good deal on a used 90 gallon peninsula. Going to place it in a corner so have to paint the back black still.
1605145584803.jpeg
Got it all cleaned up with a few days soak in citric acid. Took a little more elbow grease than I was expected :)

I’ve built the frame for the stand and a friend is going to “skin” it for me. My carpentry skills aren’t as good as his.
1605145837200.jpeg

Got 80lbs of Marco rock, which was a little too much for the scape I’m going for...but I’m sure a little extra sitting around is never a bad thing.

Going for a negative space scape. I used the super glue and crushed Marco rock method. The bonds are extremely strong (rock would break before the bonds when I wanted to redo things). It does create a chemical reaction which produces a pretty good amount of heat. It will burn you so wear gloves. It’s a work in progress...have already moved it around several times as it seems everyone does. It’s 8 different structures that fit together right now.
1605147026481.jpeg

Would love to get some advise. Kinda hard to see the depth. I’ll try to get some better pictures as it comes together more.
Welcome!!
Aquascape looking great!! Can’t wait to see it in tank!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1605145584803.jpeg

1605145837200.jpeg

1605147026481.jpeg

WOW! That scape is amazing!! Seriously one of the nicest aquascapes I've seen. #aquascapegoals #amazingaquascape #aquascapegurus

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is great aquascaping right there!

OP
OP
slowleak

slowleak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! That scape is amazing!! Seriously one of the nicest aquascapes I've seen. #aquascapegoals #amazingaquascape #aquascapegurus
Wow!! Thanks!! That means a lot!
It’s hard to see the depth in pictures. I’ll have to figure out how to post a video when it’s all done.
Its been fun to make and actually super easy...just thin super glue and crushed Marco powder.

OP
OP
slowleak

slowleak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Build Thread has been neglected as of later...not that much has gotten accomplished but heres an update.

The stand is finished and painted
Image.jpeg

Simple 2 chamber sump
Image_1.jpeg

Drilled a 10gallon for the external refugium. Little nervous about the external part due to over flow possibility but duel over flow should lessen the risk...hopefully.
Image_2.jpeg

Everything is all in place just have to get the tank on the stand, finish the pluming, and the important part...water.
Image_3.jpeg

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to comment about that one wisp of rock going up to the surface (not good), but it looks like you did away with that--so awesome! Great scape!

OP
OP
slowleak

slowleak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided I didn’t like how the external sump turned out. A little noisy and the threat of overflow seemed a little higher than I was willing to accept.

Shifted it to the right and added in another baffle. Able to keep the plumbing all the same!

Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

OP
OP
slowleak

slowleak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started cycling yesterday!!

Salinity at 1.015 per Dr. Tim

I’m using Brightwells dry rock starter kit. When dosing the ammonia, directions said to start with 2 drops per gallon, then test. This is where I stopped. I was in between 1.2 and 2 on a Red Sea test kit after the 2 drops.

Day 1:
Ammonia - 1.2 - 2

Day 2:
Ammonia - 0.8
Nitrate - 1 (Using the High Sensitivity)
Added a pinch of flakes (forgot to do it day 1)
1611277761034.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back