OP
OP
saltrookie53

saltrookie53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to leave the light on the refugium the whole time the DT is blacked out or let it run its normal schedule??

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to leave the light on the refugium the whole time the DT is blacked out or let it run its normal schedule??

For the blackout to be effective there should be no light whatsoever going into the system. Zero! So sump lights off. Also if you haven't covered the top of the tank I would do that too just make sure it is not wrapped airtight. You still want airflow in there. Just no light.

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1477348992122.jpg
1477348998798.jpg
1477349002208.jpg

new additions today. got bored and made a trip and spent money I probably shouldn't have.
Careful with the urchin my buddy had one and found it munching on onenof his corals! Duncans are awesome ive had mine for 2 months. Bought with 1 head now has 5!! And gsp is really cool too just control where is soreads because it will spread everywhere. Looks cool to me though i like it all over rocks!

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the coral beauty doing with your lps? Does it nip at them very much?
Also, was that a neon dottyback? I've been checking those out but everything seemed to point to them being pretty aggressive. What has your experience been?
I have an orchid dottyback....it is the attitude of my tank! Him and a clownfish were in the same tank at my lfs when i picked them up first they got along fine. But iver time i added a sailfin, another clown (mocha) 2 blue chromis, a mandarin goby, and a scooter blenny. The firsr couple days of adding each fish he would nip at and chase around except the mandarin and scooter hes left alone. Thinking about trapping him and taking him out of my tank because he causes un needed stress to the tank inhabitants

OP
OP
saltrookie53

saltrookie53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still at a loss for why I still have dynaflagents I had a three day blackout out went away and now it's right back.

temp
CA2- 430
KH- 71.4
PO4- .25
spec gravity-1.022
NO2- 0
NO3- 0
ph- 8.2

This is all I can test for at thw moment.
20170221_161331%7E2.jpeg
20170221_161337%7E2.jpeg

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to get your phosphates down. That may be the root of the problem.

Difficult to say with certainty whether or not it's actually dinoflagellates. Needs to be looked at under a microscope by someone who knows what they are looking at.

I would start by getting your phosphates down and see what happens from there.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinoflagellates are single-celled organisms that aggregate to form visible colonies on surfaces in our aquariums. They are typically described as a brown slime algae.

Correct identification of dinoflagellates is important since different algal blooms have specific treatments that are most effective depending on which type of bloom you're dealing with. Many posters have suggested that microscopic identification is necessary but this is obviously not reasonable for most of us.

I accidentally stumbled on this phenomenon many years ago while siphoning dinos from my tank through a filter sock into a bucket. The water was essentially clear in the bucket but after sitting in the bucket outside I noticed brown slime algae "growing" in the bucket. After stirring the bucket water vigorously the algae disappeared completely only to reappear a little while later.

To identify dinoflagellates you'll need to siphon some algae into a container preferably with a lid or cap. After filling up the container shake the water up vigorously to break up the algae. Then filter the water through a paper towel or filter sock, the water should be rather clear. Leave the water exposed to ambient light in this container for 30-120 minutes. In my experience dinoflagellate algae will be the only type that aggregates back together quickly in the container.

Here's the sample water after filtering through a paper towel
dino%20-%20IMG_1601_zpsuyz5b8ly.jpg

And here's the same water after about an hour of sitting in ambient room light
Dino%20-%20IMG_1608_zpsmqgsrth2.jpg
No need for microscope;)

Last edited:

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read KJ. Did the person performing this test first verify that the sample was indeed dinoflagellate, then subsequently perform the test? Can you source that please?

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read KJ. Did the person performing this test first verify that the sample was indeed dinoflagellate, then subsequently perform the test? Can you source that please?
;)

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
saltrookie53

saltrookie53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever the algae is I still need to get my PO4 lower. I need some club GFO and carbon if we got any left.... @KJ in the time it takes to feed my three fish and a few corals my water does do somewhat is in thw glass.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely has interesting results. But nowhere in his post does he mention if or how he initially confirmed the test sample was actually dinoflagellate.

Did he first confirm it under a microscope then perform the test? Or do we just believe because he said it was dinoflagellate that that is what it is?
Chris send him PM and ask;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back