First Salty Build

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Started my first tank today. My father had a tank growing up but all I remember is him doing water changes so I am very much a beginner!

This is my 35g tank! Purchased filter, heater, wave fan, lighting, rock, live sand today. Excited to learn and grow a beautiful fish & rock tank.
IMG_2517.jpeg

IMG_2520.jpeg
FB07DB4D-8CE4-4F6A-8253-8FE561C4438B.jpeg
IMG_2526.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following along!

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Daniel! I received this used tank from a relative. I’ve encountered my first issue! I thought I cleaned the tank good but after filling it up I can see old water lines, etc. Is there any way to clean this up? Thank you!
IMG_2527.jpeg
IMG_2528.jpeg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That HOB filter; it looks like an Aquaclear 70. Is that correct? If so, you may find that you need more filtration that what the 70 can provide.

The tank is a nice looking bow front and I like the rock scape.

How do you plan on cycling the tank? If your dad had tanks, he's probably old-school and uses a cocktail shrimp. I like this approach!

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That HOB filter; it looks like an Aquaclear 70. Is that correct? If so, you may find that you need more filtration that what the 70 can provide.

The tank is a nice looking bow front and I like the rock scape.

How do you plan on cycling the tank? If your dad had tanks, he's probably old-school and uses a cocktail shrimp. I like this approach!
Hey Dom - thank you for your response. You are right, but I think it’s a 50? Here’s a pic. The shop didn’t have a ‘backpack’ Thoughts?

For cycling I do have live sand. I do not know much about that. The shop did send me home with a small bottle of Fritz Zyme Turbo stuff. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on how to clean the tank glass better without removing water? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2532.jpeg
    IMG_2532.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 11

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dom - thank you for your response. You are right, but I think it’s a 50? Here’s a pic. The shop didn’t have a ‘backpack’ Thoughts?

For cycling I do have live sand. I do not know much about that. The shop did send me home with a small bottle of Fritz Zyme Turbo stuff. Thoughts?

Any suggestions on how to clean the tank glass better without removing water? Thank you!

You will find out quickly that the filtration of the AC50 will not be enough. If you wanted to add a sump, Eshopps makes some nice over the top overflows that don't require drilling the tank. Then a small 10 gallon tank in the stand with some basic sump components (protein skimmer) and you're good to go.

If you are in a rush (and you should not be), there are many bottled products that will allow you to get your tank cycled quickly. I'd like you to ask your Dad how he cycled tanks and then let me know what he says. I'd be interested if he is familiar with the cocktail shrimp method (he probably is since he's an old-school reefer).

With live sand, all you really need is a piece of live rock from an established tank to act as a seed for your nitrifying bacteria colony. No need to go through a cycle in my opinion.

Your tank will require faithful, weekly 20% water changes, particularly if you aren't running a protein skimmer. It is how you will keep your nutrient levels under control. Also, it is how you can replenish elements taken from the water by life in the tank.

I would do all tank husbandry (substrate churning, filter cleaning and glass scraping with a razor). Then use the water change as a way of exporting all the junk floating about in the tank.

Dom

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck. I think when you clean the glass with routine algae scraper or sponge it will be OK. Could try some filter floss. Hopefully you didn't use windex and those streaks are from that.

I'm sure others will chime in but you're probably going to need more rock or a good skimmer filtration.

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck. I think when you clean the glass with routine algae scraper or sponge it will be OK. Could try some filter floss. Hopefully you didn't use windex and those streaks are from that.

I'm sure others will chime in but you're probably going to need more rock or a good skimmer filtration.
Sounds good. I didn’t use any chemicals when cleaning it just water and a paper towel.

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find out quickly that the filtration of the AC50 will not be enough. If you wanted to add a sump, Eshopps makes some nice over the top overflows that don't require drilling the tank. Then a small 10 gallon tank in the stand with some basic sump components (protein skimmer) and you're good to go.

If you are in a rush (and you should not be), there are many bottled products that will allow you to get your tank cycled quickly. I'd like you to ask your Dad how he cycled tanks and then let me know what he says. I'd be interested if he is familiar with the cocktail shrimp method (he probably is since he's an old-school reefer).

With live sand, all you really need is a piece of live rock from an established tank to act as a seed for your nitrifying bacteria colony. No need to go through a cycle in my opinion.

Your tank will require faithful, weekly 20% water changes, particularly if you aren't running a protein skimmer. It is how you will keep your nutrient levels under control. Also, it is how you can replenish elements taken from the water by life in the tank.

I would do all tank husbandry (substrate churning, filter cleaning and glass scraping with a razor). Then use the water change as a way of exporting all the junk floating about in the tank.

Dom
Ok I’ll do some more research. I’m ok with upgrading the filtration sooner than later. I go back to the fish shop on Wednesday.

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dom
Something like these 3 items for sump system?

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Daniel! I received this used tank from a relative. I’ve encountered my first issue! I thought I cleaned the tank good but after filling it up I can see old water lines, etc. Is there any way to clean this up? Thank you!
IMG_2527.jpeg
IMG_2528.jpeg

Probably not water lines....that's pretty common to see in a newly filled tank. It's usually an accumulation of "dust" from the sand settling on the walls of the tank, and it wipes right off. Try it and see.

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion you don't need a sump. You could go with one of the big Seachem Tidal HOB filters like the 75 or 110. There's room for a lot media material :)

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion you don't need a sump. You could go with one of the big Seachem Tidal HOB filters like the 75 or 110. There's room for a lot media material :)
Thanks - I was trying to avoid the sump if possible since it’s a smaller setup because it seemed intimidating to setup. I was doing some research and watching YouTube videos last night and a simple setup seemed relatively easy with the hang on back overflow box.

It sounds like I need to a) get a bigger/better filter or b) complete a sump setup. Thoughts? Thank you!

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I was trying to avoid the sump if possible since it’s a smaller setup because it seemed intimidating to setup. I was doing some research and watching YouTube videos last night and a simple setup seemed relatively easy with the hang on back overflow box.

It sounds like I need to a) get a bigger/better filter or b) complete a sump setup. Thoughts? Thank you!
All really depends on what your plans are for the tank. I have had luck with hob items such skimmer and filter. However if your wanting to eventually add corals sump is a good option. Or atleast maybe a canister filter.

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All really depends on what your plans are for the tank. I have had luck with hob items such skimmer and filter. However if your wanting to eventually add corals sump is a good option. Or atleast maybe a canister filter.
yes I want to do some softies for sure! I'm going to look at putting together a sump system this weekend. Eshops has a overflox box and I will just need to figure it all out.

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what these orangish/brownish spots are that have started to appear around my tank on the rock and sand? Thank you
IMG_2630.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpeg
    IMG_2632.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cycle has begun prolly need a bigger filter before u do fish though
I’ve been trying to read up on sump systems but so far been hard trying to piece together the info to figure out exactly what I need to build a simple system with HOB eshhops box. Definitely need a bigger/better filter or sump

OP
OP
SaltyCajun

SaltyCajun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there’s a lot more of it today. Anyone know what this stuff is?

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2636.jpeg
    IMG_2636.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 11

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back