First setup - 20g Long

Dythomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to reefing, here is my newly cycled 20g Long tank. Open to any advice that you pros want to shoot my way!

Currently running just a whisper hang on power filter and some cheapo powerhead (500 or so gph).
Setup with 20lbs of dry rock, with a seed live rock.
20 lbs live sand
Lighting- AI Prime HD

Livestock:
2 ocellaris clownfish
Couple red leg hermits
Nassarius snail

Planned upgrades:
Aquaclear 110 converted to HOB fuge
Stock a few lps and softies with BF sales
2nd AI Prime HD

Like I said this is my very first saltwater tank. I plan on having a mixed reef. Let me know your thoughts and advice on any upgrades or changes. I will keep you updated!

E5EB96D2-531E-4DAB-9865-1CD3C2EAD006.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef
So what do you want to know.

Water parameters?
What type of light are you running?
What’s the rating of the hob

Do you want to add more fish?

OP
OP
Dythomas11

Dythomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Parameters:
Ph- 8.0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5
Phosphate- 0.25ppm
calcium- 460ppm
Alk- 9 dkh

I'm running just one prime Hd on it now. Just got it put on today actually. The HOB isn't great. whisper from Petsmart. I'm thinking replace with the aquaclear 110 with just some filter floss, carbon, and chaeto.

I would definitely like to add some more fish, I'm just unsure on much that can fit in there. Like I said, I think ill pick up a few frags to add in there to see how they do.

Also, not quite sure what to feed? Is frozen that much better? or maybe easier to not over feed?

Thanks!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 fluval on my fish only tank. I love them flow is just like a canister but convince of a hob. I strongly recommend them.

Go to http://m.liveaquaria.com and look at Nano fish. That will give you a starting point.

Frozen, flake and pellet I feed it all to my fish. My indigo hamlet is very picky so I supplement by target feeding it.

Green star polyps a good they grow like a weed so keep them on an island. Green toadstool leather is an amazing coral.

Duncan coral, hammer, torch and frogspawn are great lps corals and easy to keep.

OP
OP
Dythomas11

Dythomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking, a mix of food all in a slurry. Do I need coral food there everyday (something like reef roids) and just target feed every now and then?

I was definitely going to try and find some euphyllia and possibly some zoas. I also really like Monti caps. Any input or experience with those?

What grade fluvals do you run and on what size tank?

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion, is to see if you can find a way to get an auto top-off system on it, makes things so much easier to not have to think about topping a tank off, especially if you go away and have someone tank sit. I'll never have a tank without one after having one. Even better if you can put it on a timer and control how long it runs as a fail safe to it sticking in the on position. I use an old controller to turn mine on for 20 seconds a day.

Euphyllia and Montis are very forgiving so you shouldn't have any issues. The montis will be most successful if the tank has 4-6 months post-cycle to mature, and possibly the second light so you have more placement options in the tank with the better spread.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on second light.

I run two 75 rated fluval hob. Coral don’t need to be feed everyday. I feed mine twice a week or so.

OP
OP
Dythomas11

Dythomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! An ATO is something I forgot to add to the list. Already getting annoying having to add a gallon or two every few days.

Any suggestions on a quality ato that isn’t going to break the bank? I was looking at the Tunze nano setup a little while back

Lynchdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the AC 100 look into the inTank media basket and surface skimmer combo it’s really nice. I built a 10 gallon for a kid with the AC70 with those and it was really nice coupled with an ATO in the little overflow box.

OP
OP
Dythomas11

Dythomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get the AC 100 look into the inTank media basket and surface skimmer combo it’s really nice. I built a 10 gallon for a kid with the AC70 with those and it was really nice coupled with an ATO in the little overflow box.

Any recommendations on a skimmer? I completely agree on the second light.

Lynchdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything a reef glass skimmer or nothing at all. I personally don’t run a skimmer on my biocube 14 as I don’t need to. My nitrates always below 5 and phosphate below .03. I use Hanna checker for phosphate and NYOS for nitrate both really good kits. Just do water changes weekly of 10-20%.

Lynchdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything a reef glass skimmer or nothing at all. I personally don’t run a skimmer on my biocube 14 as I don’t need to. My nitrates always below 5 and phosphate below .03. I use Hanna checker for phosphate and NYOS for nitrate both really good kits. Just do water changes weekly of 10-20%.
But in all honesty if you’re willing to spend the money on a AC110 plus the inTank basket why not just upgrade the tank to a IM fusion 20? Built in filters rimless design, able to hide heaters and stuff with nothing hanging on the tank.

EHerbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. I started with Whispers when I first got the bug. Then stepped up to a Fluval canister. I agree with the above suggestion about upgrading to a built in system though. I'm currently running a biocube with two reactors and a skimmer. If you're going for a mixed reef, I'd think less fish and more coral. Fish are polluters but try to add a few fish that'll be working, i.e. sand sifters, aptasia eaters, bristle worm hunters, etc., with a good CUC. I'd hold off on the Monti until your tank is seasoned though. Any coral in the soft category (except carnations) are great to start with and get your husbandry habits down pat. The best advice I could give is read, read and read some more. You don't have to have every new fangled item that hits the market. And try not to chase every little symptom of something with a chemical solution. More often then not a good water change is all that is needed. Learn about what you want in your tank before you purchase it and observe everything in your tank daily and sometimes after lights out with a flashliģht. You'd be surprised at what goes on and what you might find after dark. Again, read and ask questions. Oh... and you might wanna get a second job cause you can ALWAYS make room for one more piece. .. hahaha Good luck and welcome.

OP
OP
Dythomas11

Dythomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve learned the second job thing already lol. Always something more I think my tank “needs”. I was kinda leaning towards a DIY instead of buying an in tank basket. They seem a little expensive when the supplies costs about $20. The IM fusion 20 does look pretty nice though. Guess we’ll see

Thanks for all of the advice so far! Patience is definitely the hard part. Hopefully it’ll be a little easier when I have some corals in there to manage and keep my eye on. Already talked with my lfs about his sales this weekend. Wish me luck!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club. I started with Whispers when I first got the bug. Then stepped up to a Fluval canister. I agree with the above suggestion about upgrading to a built in system though. I'm currently running a biocube with two reactors and a skimmer. If you're going for a mixed reef, I'd think less fish and more coral. Fish are polluters but try to add a few fish that'll be working, i.e. sand sifters, aptasia eaters, bristle worm hunters, etc., with a good CUC. I'd hold off on the Monti until your tank is seasoned though. Any coral in the soft category (except carnations) are great to start with and get your husbandry habits down pat. The best advice I could give is read, read and read some more. You don't have to have every new fangled item that hits the market. And try not to chase every little symptom of something with a chemical solution. More often then not a good water change is all that is needed. Learn about what you want in your tank before you purchase it and observe everything in your tank daily and sometimes after lights out with a flashliģht. You'd be surprised at what goes on and what you might find after dark. Again, read and ask questions. Oh... and you might wanna get a second job cause you can ALWAYS make room for one more piece. .. hahaha Good luck and welcome.
Or sell your first born

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would suggest a DIY screen top. A firefish would go well in your tank that size but you'll want a lid. It can be fun to make something for your tank too and it probably won't break the bank.

OP
OP
Dythomas11

Dythomas11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking out a firefish a little while back but stayed away for that very reason. I may look into making something like that!

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS sells the kits. Since buying the kit for my 40 gallon, I've restocked on materials and built them for my ten gallon QT and my 150 gallon FOWLR.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! An ATO is something I forgot to add to the list. Already getting annoying having to add a gallon or two every few days.

Any suggestions on a quality ato that isn’t going to break the bank? I was looking at the Tunze nano setup a little while back

I've been running the JBJ ATO for years and have never had an issue that was accountable to the ATO, snails on the other hand have given me ATO headaches, lol. The tunze has a good reputation as does the autotopoff.com setup. My best advice is to get the ATO on a timer as a fail safe so it turns off no matter what before it has time to overflow the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back