First Shot at SW 225 Gallon

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided I was going to share my journey into the Salt World.
Quick Background story for those who don't know, Seller of an established tank is leaving town and is ditching his tank and everything in it, so I told him I really have no choice but to take all the content. So livestock and rock are showing up tomorrow!

My tank is a 225 Gallon 72"L x 30"W x 24"H
With a 90 Gallon Sump.

Just finished cleaning it up (forgot to take pictures before) and I think I set up the sump to the way I want it.
Couple questions, does it matter which direction the Skimmer is facing, should the intake be putting towards where the water is flowing in from? And am I taking a risk of having the Matrix rock so close to the skimmer, does it have enough power to suck up the rocks?
Seller said it was a Bubble Magus but it looks like it's some sort of knock off, at this point I don't really have a choice for now, will upgrade in the future.

Please if you have any suggestions on improvements or concerns please go right ahead, criticize all you can, won't get offended, I appreciate the feedback.

Going to have sump filled tonight with Saltwater, get it to temp, fill some in the tank as well, and start putting in the sand either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Have purchased Seachem Stability to help with the process.

Thank you

h3RORVW.jpg

ZjEluv8.jpg

oyidm4t.jpg

Z2Il9d2.jpg

KRhOeZw.jpg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I typically put my skimmer pump on the side the water is flowing in from, but I'm guessing it doesn't really matter that much. Unless that media is very light, I don't think it will get sucked up by the pump. I could be wrong, but you may have a little more trouble cleaning the skimmer chamber with that media on the ground.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed tank looks good!! That stand is wicked also cant wait to see it filled! Whats going to light that thing??

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read your other post and it led me here to your build thread! Kudos to you for making the best of this situation even though it was just thrown at you like that. Looking forward to the progress!

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I commented on your other post about sand. I didnt realize u already had a tank other than the one u purchasing. Looks awesome and a great size!

Did u figure out the water yet? Im not sure where u located but if still need an rodi filter to get going maybe post here and someone will let u borrow one? Or even make some water for u. If u were close to me I know I would offer some assitance to get ya going.

Anyway, u off to a great start and this going to look amazing!

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glad this is all working out for you!! And i am excited to be following along. Don't forget to link your Build thread so its nice and easy to simply click on your Build thread Badge!

1. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
2. Add the URL (link) of your build thread.
3. Save it and BOOM you have your build badge!

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed tank looks good!! That stand is wicked also cant wait to see it filled! Whats going to light that thing??

I have a 6 Sunblaster Fixture that I have in Zig-Zag formation, each bulb will be 48" 54Watts, bulbs come in soon. Excited to see it turned on.
Looks fantastic..

Nitpick for you to mull over before it's full.
Don't see a gate valve on your main overflow drain line. It may be on the noisy side without one.

I couldn't live without one! It's there in the back, just don't see it in the pictures, going with the herbie method so it'll be extra quite.

Super glad this is all working out for you!! And i am excited to be following along. Don't forget to link your Build thread so its nice and easy to simply click on your Build thread Badge!

1. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
2. Add the URL (link) of your build thread.
3. Save it and BOOM you have your build badge!

Thank you very much! Just did it!

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of an update. Been crazy busy with work and family this week.
And for those who haven't seen my other post, a long story short, I was suppose to be purchasing live rock and fish from a seller next weekend, he ended up hitting me with a call saying that the fish need to get picked up Wednesday (Dec 4th) or he's just packing up and leaving town, and leaving the fish behind. Then on top of that, Wednesday shows up and he hits me with a text he had to leave early so everything is outside waiting for me.

Fish included:

Chocolate Chip Starfish
Zebra Dwarf Lionfish
Foxface
Yellow Tang
Brown Tang
2 x Blue Damsels
Engineer Goby

I had no choice but to quickly fill up my sump with saltwater and live rock and keep them there.

rgyI75n.jpg

YLRSYAF.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the Sand, new sand, mixed with a bit of live sand.
Rocks are now up as well, I wish I had a bit more time to perfect the look I was going for, but I was so concerned with the fish, and had to get everything done before Saturday. I put them in a formation I am pretty happy with, forgot to take a picture before I filled it with water. Tank is now filled, but still a bit cloudy, so I will try some pictures tomorrow.

zPyo3Fo.jpg

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally able to update.

Been a rough start but I think everything is finally coming together.

Currently still using Tap water as the RODI arrived late and then defective, now waiting for SpectraPure to send out a replacement (just my luck).
Used live rock from 2 Tanks here in the city that have been running for 10+ years, also got a few cups of live sand to help the process go a bit faster.

Light Setup:

3 x ATI Blue Plus
1 x ATI True Actinic
1 x Coral Plus
1 x Purple Plus

Running for 9 Hours a day.
Using the natural Sunlight to mimic sunrise and sunset until the lights come on/off

Water Movement:

1 x Maxspect Gyre XF250 running at 70%
1 x Maxspect Gyre XF230 running at 70%

StockList:

1 x Yellow Tang, Hawaii
1 x Orange Shoulder Tang
1 x One Spot Foxface (Even though he has a lot more black on him)
1 x Engineering Goby
1 x Dwarf Lionfish, I am going to keep him for now, he keeps to himself and doesn't get aggressive when fish bump into him.
2 x Blue Damselfish (They are a lot darker than what I see online)
2 x Ocellaris Clownfish

Some crabs and snails here and there.

Will need to post what I got for coral and get some names because I have no clue what they're called.

Let me know what you guys think, I like the look on the left side, may change up the right side.
Do think I put a bit too much sand, but going to leave it for now, the Goby seems to appreciate it haha.

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redid the Tank over the weekend, there was too much going on, changed it up to look a bit cleaner, without getting rid of too much.

NCoVRnm.jpg

lvRoa9f.jpg

f0abyjb.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back