First SOS indicator for SPS

Do you know the signs that your SPS corals are in trouble?

• YES and this is why.... (post in thread)

Votes: 100 30.8%
  • No but I'm curious what others say

Votes: 177 54.5%
  • I don't keep no stinkin sps corals!

Votes: 48 14.8%

• Total voters

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when I've added them to my tank, that's the first sign of trouble...

I'm hoping that the new build will be far more stable and easy to manage than the old one, so I can get back into keeping such lovely and interesting creatures!

I can relate to this answer;)

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two montipora caps that have a change in "texture" on their surface...I have witnessed this twice now as i have had Nitrates and phosphates climb.
Also a large porites colony will have no polyp extension.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree a lot with @itsforte

My first sign is my birdsnest coral that I honestly only keep for this purpose, helps me determine if something is off a lot faster then my other SPS

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what’s causing the SOS. I have seen many signs depending on how cute or what the cause is.
Loss of PE especially at lights out is a good sign, tissue looking dry isn’t a good sign for sure, browning out or faint colors can be mostly related to nutrients and lights issues but severe brown out or on many established colonies in different locations in the tank isn’t a good sign.
Bacterial infections on acros although very rare get a specific increase in pop (shiny corals) for a day or two before tissue sloughs.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
broke out the scope to see if i have some type of string algea or dino's thoughts..
1 22 19 frag algae or dino (2).jpg

1 22 19 frag algae or dino (7).jpg

S20190122_00092.jpg

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it varies from tank to tank. Some have indicator corals where they can look at the coral, and if there is a change in it's "behavior" or looks they know something is off, others can use PE, and I think Alk consumption is also a very good indicator of health. Generally I know something is off if polyp extension is reduced. Most of my Acros have very good PE during the daytime, and extreme PE at night. If I see a coral that normally has very good PE with little or no PE, I know to start checking things out. I recently had this happen, and after pulling my hair out trying to figure it out for about a week, I finally found the culprit. A magnet had rusted on my probe holder. Once I removed that, and did some large WC's, my tank found it's mojo again, and everything is happy. Every tank is different, and PE will not be an indicator in everyone's tank, but in mine, that is the case.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry guys.. i meant to post that in a different thread...LOL... yes growth like this is a serious SOS>

by the way thank you for the confirmation of zero dino's

itsforte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry guys.. i meant to post that in a different thread...LOL... yes growth like this is a serious SOS>

by the way thank you for the confirmation of zero dino's

I thought it is misunderstanding.
The first sign of SOS is from tip polyp and keeping growing is the only way of health corals.
You may try to observe the polyp in light off time.
Even you got 30 sps in your tank, you can check which one is uncomfortable. Then try to save them by improving your lighting or flow or feeding.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread inspired me to check my Alk levels on my QT frag tank.. WOW... 4.4 and notice color fade on the frags and one is RTN from bottom up. One third of it hanging in there at the top. was out of town for 10 days.. at a total loss on how this occurred.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was changing out my water yesterday and noticed I didn't have as much polyp extension from some of my sps corals and it got me thinking. I'm sure my issues were me messing around in the tank and with the water but I wanted to know your thoughts.

What is the first indicator that your sps corals might be in trouble?

Bubblegum digi.jpg

image via @bubbaque
There are several signs such as: corals not opening as it should especially if it's not a new coral or in acclimation process, color change, texture change, disintegrating, losing parts of it bleaching and dead.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monti on my bottom glass, tells me what is up. No pe: need to clean powerhead. Pale: Alk is too high. Not growing: light too low. all these are from expirience and atm it is a deep red with pink polyps. My green bay packer zoas indicate nutrients. partially closed: low nutrients. brown tentacles: high nutrients. My corals do all the tests for me and growth is good!

blurman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monti on my bottom glass, tells me what is up. No pe: need to clean powerhead. Pale: Alk is too high. Not growing: light too low. all these are from expirience and atm it is a deep red with pink polyps. My green bay packer zoas indicate nutrients. partially closed: low nutrients. brown tentacles: high nutrients. My corals do all the tests for me and growth is good!
Awesome words!!! How often you usually clean your powerheads?

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to SPS, so if there's no polyp extension and it doesn't look as robust and colorful as it did the day before, then i'm going to assume he's stressed. If I don't see signs of growth when evidently my parameters are stable, then i'm going to assume he's stressed.

At this point, a lot of reefers will agree that you develop this sort of "sixth sense" when you're so heavily involved and spend a considerable amount of time on your fish tank. You will know when something is off :)

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would be ecstatic if i could just keep one alive , tried all the ones they say are hardy, water is fine , tried different lighting, tried different flow, all same result , white coral

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back