First SW Tank - 7.2g Nano Build

djl-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So a quick “about me”. I love aquariums and I have specifically grown to love reef aquariums. I have never had one, as is evident by the title of this thread :p; however, my dad kept a saltwater FOWLR for many years during childhood. I’ve kept several FW planted tanks over the past 5 years and I have always planned on transitioning to a SW reef tank when the time seemed right.

Well, the time is now! Several times over the last two years I have played with the idea of starting one and while researching I quickly found the R2R forums and community. Let me say that you all have been such a big help already and I am glad I have found a community such as this one.

So, on with my plan. I have not yet bought anything so this build will take some time, but I am hoping to bounce ideas off you all and dig out any info and tips thatI can along the way.

Here is what I am thinking right now:

-Tank: APA 30-C
(This is a 7.2g cube, 11.8” x 11.8” x 11.8”)
-Light: Spectra LEDs Aquaknight V2
-Custom build stand
-5g Gravity fed refugium underneath.
-145gph Jebao JP900 return pump.
-refugium light to grow macro algae and support copepod life

(The refugium will also have 2” of live sand and a bunch of porous rock for lots of biological filtration. This refugium will be it for filtration. I will rely on large possibly 100% water changes for remaining nutrient export as I will already be relying on frequent water changes to replace trace elements for the corals.)

Now for my first few questions!
1. Will this light be sufficient considering the depth of my tank? The tank will host mostly LPS coral at bottom and mid depths and I am hoping to grow 2 or 3 of the hardier SPS up top.
2.Will the 145gph return pump from the refugium be enough flow? Consider about 2’ of climb as well as the types of corals I want to add.
3. What are your thoughts on the mass biological filtration with the relatively large refugium?
4. Considering the refugium will allow copepods to multiply, should I add a mandarin goby or emerald crab to the main tank to eat up any adult copepods that wander up top?

...and that’s my start! Let me know what you all think! Thanks very much in advance!

OP
OP
D

djl-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After re-examining my situation, I think I am going to head in a different direction. I’d like to be able to fit more coral in my tank than I would be able to with a 7 gallon.

My space will allow for most of the 30-40g cube-ish tanks out there. I am really liking the Waterbox Marine AIO 35g.

I was really looking forward to utilizing a refugium about as big as the main display, but I really feel like the simplicity of an all-in-one will suit me better for my first reef build. I just need to focus on diligent water changes. I plan on focusing mostly on corals rather than fish in the beginning. Not sure if that makes it easier or more difficult? We shall see. Anyways, I will no longer update this thread and will create a new thread in the AIO Build forum.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back