First tank! Crystal Dynamic Peninsula 83

anonomous09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have been lurking on here for about 6 months trying to plan everything out. After finally buying a home I can finally get a saltwater tank. Form there it was a tough decision to get a standard IM tank or go all in. I decided to get a Crystal Dynamic Peninsula tank and stand. My goal is to go ULM and I have been doing my best to absorb as much knowledge as possible. My reason for going ULM is a six day a week work schedule. While I do go home at night, my time is limited. I will also be getting married in 6 months and will be getting help from my Fiancee as well.

About two weeks ago Crystal Dynamic was kind enough to drop the tank at our family business, saving me a two hour trek. I ordered the tank with an internal overflow hoping to hide any plumbing. It turned out a little different than what I envisioned however overall I am very happy with fit and finish. For a sump I opted away from the traditional Trigger Systems sump and went with a Geos Reef Auto Roller Filter Sump. I am hoping to avoid constantly changing filter socks and the Clarisea AFR seems pretty nice and has a built in alarm. Geo is building the sump around a NYOS 160 which will get an Avast Swabbie and Skimate locker to allow me some more time between skimmer dumps. As of now I am planning running carbon in the built in sump reactor. For lighting Dave from Nanobox Reef is custom building me a 36" light with white housing and custom walnut end caps to match the decor of my house. It will all be controller by an Apex system which will hopefully automate water changes, ATO, and monitor flow etc. I think that is everything so far! The light should be here next week and the Geos sump was just ordered so that can take up to 6 weeks. Fingers crossed it is quicker!

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_5634.JPG

I know there will be comment about the windows. The shades are electric black out shades and do to the window openings, there is zero light creep through the sides. I will be posting some large photos (which is underneath the tank), soon so I can work through the water station. So far I have a single DOS unit and will probably need another one or a different pump to automate everything. I am looking forward to everyone's comments and posting the progress of this build!

FTS 9/3
AD617563-098C-469F-B1F6-F9054899B78C.jpeg

1C785B91-28BC-4DFB-9EC1-63D0DA98CA92.jpeg

Last edited:

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...that looks great and I'm not just saying that because I'm a sucker for a peninsula. Can't wait to see this one develop.

mrcole76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That nook was made for a tank. It looks fantastic empty. Can’t wait to see it all put together. I’m setting up a tank from CD, too. So far, I’m loving it.

OP
OP
anonomous09

anonomous09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You noticed that too.:cool:

Thanks guys! That was another project spurred by finally owning my own place. I just wish these hobbies were cheaper!

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words. While waiting for the sump to be built I will get the water station dialed in. Involving going through the floor below the tank. Does anyone have experience with how much pressure the BRS RODI kit puts out post filters? My concern is the drums will be located about 30' away from my faucet where I'd like to mount the filters. It is completely sideways, zero elevation change. From the drums it will be about 18' up and about 7' over. I spoke with a rep from Neptune at RAP and he thought the DOS would work just fine for this task. What do you guys think? I noticed Avast has some new pumps as well that may work well.

mrcole76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the run goes, my brs system for my tank only goes about 2' but in my kitchen I have a generic RO system under the sink that pushes water to my fridge OK. That distance with twists and turns is probably 15-20 feet.

OP
OP
anonomous09

anonomous09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the run goes, my brs system for my tank only goes about 2' but in my kitchen I have a generic RO system under the sink that pushes water to my fridge OK. That distance with twists and turns is probably 15-20 feet.
I’m thinking I’ll keep it next to the sink that way I don’t have to back track with a drain line. If the pressure is too low I will get a booster pump.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in how that Davy Jones locker works.... first time I’ve seen it.

Me too! I plan on combining it with the Avast Swabbie to give me some more time between skimmer maintenance. Also following your build thread!

You'll love it. Extends the cleaning time of the skimmer cup greatly. Just keep the carbon air filter fresh. You will quickly discover a few weeks of skimmate doesn't smell the freshest when you go to clean it out. :eek:

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post close up shots of the silicone job of the tank? I'm considering a CDD tank and wanted to get a better understanding of their quality.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post close up shots of the silicone job of the tank? I'm considering a CDD tank and wanted to get a better understanding of their quality.
CD built my tank. I'm very happy with it.

20180218_102143_1518978104434.jpg

OP
OP
anonomous09

anonomous09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well finally getting some more updates! The sump has arrived! I will be heading to the LFS to grab a return pump. Looking at the Neptune COR-15. From what I gather it should be have plenty of flow for what I am trying to do. I am thinking of Y-ing in a second return pump. Something smaller that will allow some flow in the case of emergency. Has anyone done this before? I think I can squeeze one under the reactor. Maybe I am just overthinking things, but I do spend about 10 hours a day at work. The light should be showing up from Nanobox shortly. I will be ordering some plumbing supplies as well. Lastly, what is everyone's thoughts on plumbing in a manifold? I already have one reactor built in. Thanks for all the support and and criticisms are appreciated as this is my first reef tank.

IMG_9826.jpg

OP
OP
anonomous09

anonomous09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more progress in today. Got a COR 15 from the local fish store. Also the FMK from Neptune. Ordered all the plumbing supplies from Bulk Reef Supply. As of now, I am benching the back up pump idea as I cannot figure out a clean way to plumb it properly in this sump. Als the lighting plans have changed. Going to go with (2) Kessil 360X lights. Here’s a pic of the electronics panel. Ignore the dark picture, for some reason I prefer with with the lights off lol.

6C37E8E3-AD65-44A4-921C-84970FFD8767.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back