First tank. Ocellaris swimming hard?

EcoFriendlyMouth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya,

So i've started my first saltwater tank I15g nano) and today I introduced a single ocellaris. I have been monitoring ammonia, nitrate, nitrate levels for the past week or so every day to make sure everything is cycled. All 0's. I introduced a couple cerith snails several days ago and they have been very active. The tank (modded fluval flex) has a 130gph pump for the filter, and there is a 400gph powerhead in as well. The clownfish has not stopped swimming pretty hard minus short breaks in slow current spots. I shut the powerhead off and it seemed to still be huffing it's way through the current of the pump. I got it from a local breeder and it seemed to not be working super hard in their tank. It hasn't made its way to the rockwork yet to find a resting spot. Is my current too much for it? Should I swap for a smaller powerhead and just temporarily turn off this current one?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya,

So i've started my first saltwater tank I15g nano) and today I introduced a single ocellaris. I have been monitoring ammonia, nitrate, nitrate levels for the past week or so every day to make sure everything is cycled. All 0's. I introduced a couple cerith snails several days ago and they have been very active. The tank (modded fluval flex) has a 130gph pump for the filter, and there is a 400gph powerhead in as well. The clownfish has not stopped swimming pretty hard minus short breaks in slow current spots. I shut the powerhead off and it seemed to still be huffing it's way through the current of the pump. I got it from a local breeder and it seemed to not be working super hard in their tank. It hasn't made its way to the rockwork yet to find a resting spot. Is my current too much for it? Should I swap for a smaller powerhead and just temporarily turn off this current one?

Is it just swimming around frantically or is it actually swimming into the current? Swimming directly into the flow can be a sign of illness. Do you have any pics or a video?

OP
OP
EcoFriendlyMouth

EcoFriendlyMouth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just swimming around frantically or is it actually swimming into the current? Swimming directly into the flow can be a sign of illness. Do you have any pics or a video?
He hasn't been swimming direct into the flow of water for more than a couple second intervals sporadically, just kind of randomly in the currents. I turned off the power head and he seems to be more comfortable in the tank, so it seems it may have just been too much current. In the morning I'm gonna readjust the direction of the power head as to not create such a strong gyre within the tank and see how that works out, try to create more dead spaces in the tank. Thank you very much for hitting back!

RedTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say don't adjust anything. If the flow is too much, the fish will find an area with lesser flow. He is probably stressed out by his new environment. Give him time to settle in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back