OP
FF419

FF419

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are still going well! Since my last post I've added a clean up crew from reefcleaner.com, one of their preset packages with hermits. I've also added a 3rd anemone, 3 emerald crabs and an urchin. The clowns finished up in QT and made their way into the tank. Unfortunately they only like to hang out in a back lower corner, so I don't get to see them out much.

I also added a refugium section to my sump with some chaeto and pods from algae barn. Chaeto hasn't shown much growth so I've turned off my GFO in hopes that'll help.

Pods on the glass...

I also went to the downriver frag swap in MI this past weekend and picked up a few things ;-). A few frags and a clam. They're going through QT right now.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-2-21_21-10-48.jpeg

Love the pictures, but this is my favorite too! This thread definitely needs some updating.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @FF419. Those new pictures are great. What do you use to take them? You have got to post some pictures of those zoas you have growing out they are insane. How is the algae improving? Also I for got to tell you an easy fix for the algae you are fighting on the rock you have plans for a zoa mound. Remove the rock and dribble peroxide over the algae, scrub with a tooth brush, and rinse with salt water. You can also turn off all the water flow and use the long feeder or medicine dropper to gently lay peroxide on the worst algae spots. Try it on a rock you don’t just love, removing it to a little 2.5 to 5 gallon tank as an experiment. Scrub and siphon the debris at the same time. It works without a full nuclear attack, like diflucan. Which btw I have a prescription tablet you can have if you decide you want it. I did not see anything that would make me think you should though. ;Happy Your tank is just beautiful! It is going to be stunning when the corals grow out.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just by seeing your build so far I can tell you've done some proper research. That's refreshing to see, and bodes well for your first go at reefing.
Rakie, it is apparent in visiting with him, that he is smarter than your average bear and really understands what he is talking about. It was so fun to see his tank and talk reefing “stuff”. It is going to be stunning. He taught me a bit about how to improve my pod population. Going to try this very soon.

OP
OP
FF419

FF419

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I'm here, still alive. Just been busy building a canopy and scrubbing hair algae.

I haven't tried peroxide yet. Still trying to get ahead of it with some chaeto, scrubber I built and cutting my lighting intensity. Put my GFO back online and switched salts from reef crystals to Tropic Marin.

Thank you for the kind words! All pics are taken with my cell phone! No editing, no filters. Just advanced mode.

20190222_002241.jpg

Scrubber I made powered with a $20 shop flood light from lowes.

4964.jpeg

Starting to get some good growth after about 2 weeks of lighting it 45mins on, 15 mins off throughout the day.

229.jpeg

Top is my par measurements with the Hydra 52 at 100%. Bottom is with the T5s added. For now I'm running the Hydra at a Max of 25% and T5s for only an hour.

20190302_175014.jpg

Canopy with flip top to give me access. I also wired the lights to a levered switch that'll cut power to them when I open the lid.

20190303_133417.jpg

On the tank and painted.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back