First time in SW/Reef hobby!

TheMagicHank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I have had fresh water fish tanks my entire life and have kept my distance from salt water for so many reasons. I have so much respect for sea life that I just don't want to be the reason an animal is killed due to my lack of experience. But I feel with all of the resources around me and a few friends that are into the hobby, I have a better chance at a thriving tank.

So far I have my tank put together to the best of my budget.

75 Gallon with Fluval FX4 canister filter, an eheim heater and two Viparspectra 165w full spectrum lights.

I have recently added my first grouping of fish and inverts.

1x Pkatinum Clown (juv)
1x Black Clown (juv)
1x Midas Blenny
1x Pearl Jaw Fish
1x Candy Cane (?) Trumpet frag
1x Toadstool frag
1x GSP frag (plan to make that my whole back wall)
1x GSP (Stick?) frag
8x Astrial Snails
2x Turbo Snails
1x Strawberry Conch

I am aiming to mainly house soft corals. Always open to opinions on which corals make sense.

In terms of fish I would love to add some more over time. Open to opinions here, too.

1x Starry Blenny (I have read there should be enough space and hiding spots for midas and starry to leave each other be.)
1-2x fairy wrasse (Not sure which)
1x Ornate Leopard or Blue Leopard Wrasse
1x Kole Tang
1x Dragonette (after it has been running a while)
1x Fox Face or Butterfly fish

I look forward to learning a bunch through every one here and hearing your opinions.

IMG_20210407_122350_598.jpg 20210425_104334.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You have all this livestock in a new tank ?
How long has this tank been running? What is your current ammonia and nitrate levels? A canister for this tank with that bioload may likely be INsufficient and problems will arise quickly with chemistry.

OP
OP
T

TheMagicHank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have all this livestock in a new tank ?
How long has this tank been running? What is your current ammonia and nitrate levels? A canister for this tank with that bioload may likely be INsufficient and problems will arise quickly with chemistry.
Hello!

Tank was running for roughly 6 weeks pre-livestock. The FX4 runs roughly 425gph and has multiple layers of bio, mechanical and chemical filtration. I feel okay with my choice of filtration for the time being.

Ammonia on my last check was with the red sea test kit and it showed 0ppm, Nitrite was 0ppm and Nitrate was in that 5-10ppm range. Taking it in for a water test tomorrow since the fish have been in since Sunday. And I only currently have 4 (small) fish and 4 frags. Not much bio load at all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back