First timers!

slurpeee76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my husband and I first time venturing to the saltwater side. I am anxious trying not to kill off everything. I hope that we can get a good system built up. We want to get corals that are pretty but hardy. We somehow collected a live rock with aiptasia and this cute little coral, not sure what kind. Not sure if killing the aiptasia in the setup cycle was smart but I got F aiptasia. We are hopeful to aquire some clownfish and a clean up crew. I love the goby and shrimp combo. Oh we have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank. And I love the orchid dottyback, royal gamma. But realistically I dunno how far of a Longshot it is for this size tank. We obviously want corals too but not sure what we should do. Anywho looking for insight from fellow hobbyists.
welcome! start slow. nice initial fish choices. my mushroom coral were easy and beautiful (the ones with the green tentacles that come out).

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is my husband and I first time venturing to the saltwater side. I am anxious trying not to kill off everything. I hope that we can get a good system built up. We want to get corals that are pretty but hardy. We somehow collected a live rock with aiptasia and this cute little coral, not sure what kind. Not sure if killing the aiptasia in the setup cycle was smart but I got F aiptasia. We are hopeful to aquire some clownfish and a clean up crew. I love the goby and shrimp combo. Oh we have a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank. And I love the orchid dottyback, royal gamma. But realistically I dunno how far of a Longshot it is for this size tank. We obviously want corals too but not sure what we should do. Anywho looking for insight from fellow hobbyists.
Welcome!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R-Welcome3.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined. Sounds like you have BIG wish list dreams and small tank, so perhaps there will be more tanks in your future!

Agree it was good to get that aiptasia killed early. IF there is another or so that crop up along the way, stay vigilant and get those covered in F-Aiptasia as well. More may try to sneak in on future frag plug. Around here, nearly everyone has aiptasia, so we've caught them and sadly they seem to have gotten established because we didn't get after them ALL right away. They irritate our corals and anemones. Pink F-Aiptasia is being released and under blue light it looks about same as original but it continues to 'pink up' and about 2 weeks later it looks really pretty! Our white light part of spectrum is only 5% but under 10 or higher white light the new pink F-Aiptasia is really pretty straight from the bottle!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back